Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor

Options

Comments

• deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »
    all other input is either not displayed or doesn't have sound.

What have you used to discover that there is either nothing displayed or picture but no sound?
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    Chromecast cannot break your monitor
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What resolution does the monitor support?

What other sources are you using to test the HDMI port? What resolution are they set to? (And refresh rate, and scan type [interlace/progressive]?)

How many HDMI ports does the monitor have? Just one?
    If more than one, do all only work with a Chromecast?

As said above, the chances of a Chromecast causing the HDMI port to become locked to a Chromecast source are vanishingly small.
  • Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:13PM
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    What have you used to discover that there is either nothing displayed or picture but no sound?

Ps4 is capable of displaying an image if it is used to wake the monitor, doesnt work if ps4 was previously on
  • Rickb110
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:16PM
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    It hasn't!

It'd be like saying the petrol I bought from Tesco gave me a flat tyre. The fact the things happened at the same time does not mean the petrol is responsible. Petrol can't make my tyres go flat. The Chromecast cannot affect the way your monitor works.

I'm not sure why your monitor is no longer working correctly, but it is not the Chromecast that has done it.

Have you checked the settings of the monitor? Is it possible the monitor has updated its own firmware? Is the refresh rate correct?

If you stop thinking it's the fault of the Chromecast, you're more likely to find the solution.

Yes I have been at this for 3 months firm ware hasn't changed I have both reset monitor to factory and changed pretty much every setting you can change, if you have any suggestions at all I am completely open to hearing them but there is just no other explanation even visible at the moment, I have exhausted just about every guide on the web. Chain of events are simply HDMI worked, plugged in chromecast, HDMI only works on chromecast.

Monitor Model if it helps : BenQ GL2450HM LED TN 24-inch
  • Rickb110
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    What resolution does the monitor support?

What other sources are you using to test the HDMI port? What resolution are they set to? (And refresh rate, and scan type [interlace/progressive]?)

How many HDMI ports does the monitor have? Just one?
    If more than one, do all only work with a Chromecast?

As said above, the chances of a Chromecast causing the HDMI port to become locked to a Chromecast source are vanishingly small.

Ps4, PC and Chromecast. They all previously worked. The native of the monitor was 1080x1920, pc is set to same and ps4 is automatic.

I don't understand why the scan type might effect it given it was previously running but they should all be progressive.

Just 1 hdmi and a dvi, dvi continues to work but obviously doesn't pass sound.

I realise it's extremely unlikely but I have explored every other possibility I can think of and that both manufacturer and Google could come up with.
  • Rickb110
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    The port cannot be locked, that’s not what HDCP is, it’s more about data encryption and decryption. I can’t see how it’s physically possible for what you are describing to happen. I can see how you could have maybe an issue with one port but there is no way for the chromecast to have any impact on the other sources. Unless you have somehow caused physical damage the only other thing I can think is that you’ve had some sort of power surge which has coincidentally caused your problems but that still wouldn’t explain why two separate chrome casts work but no other devices do.

Have you tried the chrome cast on another monitor?

There is only one hdmi port sorry if that wasn't clear
    There is no physical damage to the port BenQ have told me, they are the manufacturer.
    Chrome cast worked fine on my tv
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    There is no physical damage to the port BenQ have told me, they are the manufacturer.

So BenQ have looked at your monitor?
    Ps4, PC and Chromecast.

The Chromecast plugs directly into the HDMI, the PC and PS4 require a cable. Have you tried a different cable?
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you plug the Chromecast in whilst the monitor and/or Chromecast were powered on?

I'm sure I've read that HDMI is not always hot swappable and damage can be caused if devices are plugged in whilst switched on.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    You could try posting on the Techie Stuff board for advice in the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure