Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor

Options
124»

Comments

• Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    Aren't you just confusing the situation by bringing up the chrome cast (irrelevant whether or not it broke your monitor)

The facts (if I have read this right) are, you have a monitor under warranty that is not showing HDMI sources. It's broken. Hence return under warranty. Tell them it was working fine and now you cannot get HDMI to play you have tried multiple sources and leads. Don't mention anything about the chromecast.

I have been in touch with the BenQ support for quite a while trying to get this resolved, initially I assumed it was a software/firmware issue as it didn't seem possible for a HDMI to be somehow locked physically, this means they are completely aware of the cause as I went through a lot of steps with them initially.

They have agreed to take it back and inspect it producing a report, if it turns out that it's a failure under warranty they will repair it otherwise they will provide something for me to take to Google. Hopefully this should result in a resolution one way or another. They are maintaining that Chromecast caused the damage however so I suspect it's going to be a little while before I get it all sorted
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    Well as the latter is impossible, it clearly must be the former. So there's your answer - you need to take it up with BenQ. Good luck.

Actually it is possible, either pin damage or a voltage issue.

My parents tv fried their hdmi dvd player (and the cable) with a bit of static build up.
  • Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Actually it is possible, either pin damage or a voltage issue.

My parents tv fried their hdmi dvd player (and the cable) with a bit of static build up.

There does seem to be a few reports of people with Chromecasts experiencing issues where the TV suddenly becomes unresponsive either producing a black screen or not recognising inputs but they are still rare.

However I just don't get why Chromecast works perfectly and everything else won't work
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »
    There does seem to be a few reports of people with Chromecasts experiencing issues where the TV suddenly becomes unresponsive either producing a black screen or not recognising inputs but they are still rare.

You will find that there will be reports of the same or similar things happening with almost any device you search for. Just try a search of a PlayStation, Xbox, DVD player, Sky box, freeview or freesat box. It will be quite rare for all of them because as already mentioned it’s more likely to be pin damage or a power/voltage surge actually causing it and not the device itself that has been plugged in.
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Not much of a tech head, but in terms of your consumer rights it will be the same as any other item:

- If the fault is with the monitor then obtain an independent fault report and present this to the retailer.

- If the fault was caused by the chromecast then go to THAT retailer and state that. As it is under 6 months old they'd need to disprove an inherent fault. You can go on to claim consequential loss (ie the cost of a 2nd hand monitor which was damaged by the inherent fault with the chromecast)

- You can also approach the manufacturer of either item and see what they can offer you by way of the warranty.

- If either retailer refuses to resolve, or claims that the fault was NOT inherent, then you can take them to small claims court armed with your evidence and present your case. You'll probably lose at this stage unless you've got a fault report backing you up.

- You would also be wise in checking every single device which uses the HDMI connection to your TV. It is possible, although highly unlikely (unless you only use 1-2 devices such as Sky + a games console), that the other devices have developed a faulty HMDI connection and that the chromecast is currently unaffected. If you've used just 1 HDMI lead for all devices then maybe you've been pulling it out of the other devices pretty hard? Just a possibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure