Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor

Options
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help moving in the right direction here as I am a bit lost.

I purchased a Chromecast earlier on in the year (June) and as part of setup I connected it to my PC monitor via HDMI and set it off downloading the update. This was supposed to only take a few minutes but due to a Chromecast bug actually ran all night.

Since then the only thing that works properly with the monitor HDMI is Chromecast. It doesn't seem to be a physical problem as a different Chromecast also worked on the monitor, all other input is either not displayed or doesn't have sound.

I have contacted both the manufacturer and Google to try and get this resolved but currently both are trying to blame the other and telling me to get in contact with their support.
I first contacted support on the 4th of July and still don't have any sort of resolution, Google was helping me but recently stopped responding to support requests.

My monitor is still under Warranty until Dec this year but I suspect they would be able to claim it wasn't a manufacturer fault and the Chromecast did the damage, however Google support claim there is nothing wrong with the Chromecast.

I have reached my limit with them both and just want my product fixing or replacing.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated

Comments

• cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Within the first 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the fault is not a inherent manufacturing defect, it is not for you to go to manufacturer or whoever that is for the retailer to do. Get in touch with whoever you bought it off they should refund repair or replace it (their choice as to which).
  • Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi cono,

I am not sure what you mean here, the monitor was purchased over a year ago and has a two year warranty, the Chromecast was purchased in June and for the most part works fine, it just broke my monitor
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Chomecast has not broken your monitor - it's not possible.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, misread your post - thought the Chromecast was broke not the monitor. Have you tried it with different HDMI cables and from different sources? If so and it is still faulty then you have the option of getting an independant report to see the cause of the failure, if it is a manufacturing defect then the retailer of the monitor should repair it and refund the cost of the report.

If it comes back as something from the chromecase then you will need to pursue Google for the damage to the monitor.
  • Rickb110
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    Chomecast has not broken your monitor - it's not possible.

I can literally demonstrate the problem, there is absolutely no ambiguity at all - the HDMI will only work with Chromecast now.
  • Rickb110
    Options
    cono1717 wrote: »
    Sorry, misread your post - thought the Chromecast was broke not the monitor. Have you tried it with different HDMI cables and from different sources? If so and it is still faulty then you have the option of getting an independant report to see the cause of the failure, if it is a manufacturing defect then the retailer of the monitor should repair it and refund the cost of the report.

If it comes back as something from the chromecase then you will need to pursue Google for the damage to the monitor.

I have tried every kind of input from every kind of wire, from every kind of source. I can sometimes get my PS4 to display video but no sound. Other than that you can tell that the monitor detects something then displays "no input"

Are there any rules to an independent report I should be aware of or will anyone who repairs electronics be ok?
  • deaston
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »
    I can literally demonstrate the problem, there is absolutely no ambiguity at all - the HDMI will only work with Chromecast now.

If I'm right, you're suggesting the Chromecast has somehow altered your monitor or the monitor's HDMI input (by downloading firmware perhaps?) and therefore is preventing your monitor from displaying anything other than the Chromecast.

1) HDMI deals with data differently and is not (technically) capable of transferring data of that kind

2) Chromecast is not capable of doing so anyway.

There will be some other explanation - but is it not possible for the Chromecast to alter the software/settings of your monitor.
  • Rickb110
    edited 9 October 2017 at 5:03PM
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    If I'm right, you're suggesting the Chromecast has somehow altered your monitor or the monitor's HDMI input (by downloading firmware perhaps?) and therefore is preventing your monitor from displaying anything other than the Chromecast.

1) HDMI deals with data differently and is not (technically) capable of transferring data of that kind

2) Chromecast is not capable of doing so anyway.

There will be some other explanation - but is it not possible for the Chromecast to alter the software/settings of your monitor.

I do not know exactly how a HDMI port works, that being said I am far from a novice when it comes to electronics, put simply I plugged the Chromecast in and now the monitor only works with the Chromecast.

There doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the port and this is further supported by the fact that two separate chromecasts are able to work without any issues, if it was a physical issue I would have expected only the original to work with the monitor.

This really only leaves a technological issue, I know HDMI ports can be locked, HDCP exists for this express purpose, however I do not know how a device can seemingly block the port for all other inputs, all I know is that it has done this.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The port cannot be locked, that’s not what HDCP is, it’s more about data encryption and decryption. I can’t see how it’s physically possible for what you are describing to happen. I can see how you could have maybe an issue with one port but there is no way for the chromecast to have any impact on the other sources. Unless you have somehow caused physical damage the only other thing I can think is that you’ve had some sort of power surge which has coincidentally caused your problems but that still wouldn’t explain why two separate chrome casts work but no other devices do.

Have you tried the chrome cast on another monitor?
  • deaston
    edited 9 October 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »
    I do not know how a device can seemingly block the port for all other inputs, all I know is that it has done this.

It hasn't!

It'd be like saying the petrol I bought from Tesco gave me a flat tyre. The fact the things happened at the same time does not mean the petrol is responsible. Petrol can't make my tyres go flat. The Chromecast cannot affect the way your monitor works.

I'm not sure why your monitor is no longer working correctly, but it is not the Chromecast that has done it.

Have you checked the settings of the monitor? Is it possible the monitor has updated its own firmware? Is the refresh rate correct?

If you stop thinking it's the fault of the Chromecast, you're more likely to find the solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure