FreedomPop no longer free from 29 July

Options
13»

Comments

• ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cancelled my account online yesterday and received an email back to confirm that it had been cancelled and the sim card is no longer working. I have also contacted them through their contact form to confirm that I do not authorize any future payments. I did not port my number out as when I ported it in I was charged £4.99, but I did get it refunded when I complained.
  • cactusroger
    Options
    I've mainly used FP at home for free texting as I use phones very little and am on a standard PAYG with Virgin Mobile. Making phone calls from FP has always been hit-and-miss, unreliable, the worst thing (test example) being "this number is not allowed on this tariff" .... my own landline number!!! WHY ...then the next day it works. I've never complained because it was free, but no way will I pay £3.49 a month for that standard of reliability. I will still only be spending about £1.50 a month by making all calls and texts on my Virgin phone, with top class connectivity (I don't use phone for internet). I will be cancelling.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I have raised a chargeback with the credit card company.
    Update:

The card company has activated the chargeback. They are refunding.

They have found other charges which they are also refunding. Part of the process involves cancelling my old card account and issuing a replacement - on its way as the PIN arrived yesterday.

E-mail from FreedomPop:
    Sorry to see you go!
    Dear Roger,
    This email is to inform you that your account has been cancelled. If you believe you received this in error or would like to reactivate your account down the road please contact support here. You will receive no further charges.
    –Your friends at FreedomPop

OK, but which account? (No info in the e-mail.) I think we had 5 between us. I'm checking old e-mails.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to cancel late last night but unable to do so after spending 15 mins trying to find out how. I've logged in again to find it's still showing August subscription as £0.00, so maybe still not too late, if only I knew how!
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Update:

The card company has activated the chargeback. They are refunding.

They have found other charges which they are also refunding. Part of the process involves cancelling my old card account and issuing a replacement ...

FURTHER UPDATE

I queried FreedomPop's actions - how and when did I sign up for the service they have not provided but charged for. Their response is disturbing. Extract:
    FreedomPop wrote:
    Please be aware that some pop-up ads of promotional trial plans and services are automatically added to your account when tapped/clicked and its renewal will be based on your billing date regardless on when it was added.

This may have been the reason why you have not been aware to when the International plan Global Pro 1000 was added on the account.

So clicking to find out more info = subscribing? Surely not, not in the UK anyway. In fact, the information was not forthcoming and I certainly did not sign up.

We're in further discussion while I weigh up whether to involve Ofcom.

In the meantime, be careful what you click, and make sure you check your card bills.
  • its_all_over
    Options
    Went to cancel late last night but unable to do so after spending 15 mins trying to find out how. I've logged in again to find it's still showing August subscription as £0.00, so maybe still not too late, if only I knew how!

Here is the how to cancel page.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/how-to-cancel-your-freedompop-account
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I used to have 2 Freedompop's as spare mobiles when wanting to keep my work/personal numbers private - used for booking reservations, online contacts, sales listings etc. I have cancelled them both as not worth even the £3.50/month fee as despite the text/call working fine the call were hit and miss (since everything went through the online app - some calls never came through and always a delay lag). Although if you did the 12 month in one payment it was £19.99 (£1.67/month) for the new essential pack - 1GB, 200 SMS, 200 Mins calls - which is not too bad but as I used many texts, that part of plan was never great (why I had 2 Freedompop SIM's - if was 1000 or 2000 texts then I'd probably pay the £19.99 plan) and fact that Freedompop seem to change their plan terms continuously to try and catch you out trying to charge you here and there. They do have some good international plan call options, think was about £0.99 for 100 international mins - that was only add on occasionally I would use. However, did not support international texting (I'd still use Fishtext for that).

Extra's they used to try and catch you out on were when getting the free SIM with first month 2.25GB and unl calls/texts for 1p, you had to then remember to downgrade everything before end of month. Also ticking to remove lots of other things like no voicemail/premium calls quality/auto £5 top up etc. I'd also always order with a prepaid card so they could never charge me any extras later in contract (many others reported random charges and they did try to charge random things some months, that should not have since was downgraded to free plan but could not take any money out as the prepaid card was zero and only topped a small amount of money to it when used it).

So their claim that people were taking advantage, I feel was nonsense, was just people were probably becoming savvy from the reviews and avoiding any extra charges while using the free only plan. Clearly Freedompop could not really operate giving the free plan only if there were too many people on it and those users were avoiding been charged extra fees.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2018 at 10:46PM
    Options
    I might try the Vectone £1 plan that seems ok - 50 mins calls / 50 texts / 50 MB data (just try and be more frugal sending texts out) - for my mobile to replace Freedompop to keep my personal/business numbers private. Seems better deal than 1p mobile that need to top up £10 every 120 days.

Anyone tried it? They seem to have terrible reviews but can not see how can be an issue on the £1 plan? Seems to be on EE so good coverage. For sake of just £1 may just try it.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Weird as I got the plan increase notification email to. But I’m still on FreedomPop and get charged £0 a month, seems like nothing changed for me
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Weird as I got the plan increase notification email to. But I’m still on FreedomPop and get charged £0 a month, seems like nothing changed for me
    Same here!
    However, I was concerned a few weeks ago when all my credit disappeared. After a bit of research, I found that you can claim it all back through the app within a certain time, although they never notified me. This I did, and none of the credit has since been taken despite using 198 MB of the allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure