New card - Abbey Zero

Options

Comments

• Clara381
    Clara381 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all! Looking for some advice.......

I have a new Abbey zero card which has a £1000 limit. We are going to NY and were planning on taking that for 'emergencies'. We have £1000 spending money and are trying to work out the best thing to do with that.
    My suggestion is to 'overpay' my zero card, ie to have a positive balance, because as far as I can see we wouldn't pay any charges at all until we used up the overpayment and actually started using the £1000 credit limit.
    Clear as mud??

As I said, any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
    I can't look into the future, but the futures where I'm walking to
  • Sun
    Sun Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    I got £4,000 limit
    All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    £3,000 on ours - any advance!
  • HamiltonL
    HamiltonL Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Cloudane wrote: »
    I got £2500, I think that's about the limit.
    I've seen high four digit limits for the Zero. Not sure I've seen any higher than that.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clara381 wrote: »
    Hi all! Looking for some advice.......

I have a new Abbey zero card which has a £1000 limit. We are going to NY and were planning on taking that for 'emergencies'. We have £1000 spending money and are trying to work out the best thing to do with that.
    My suggestion is to 'overpay' my zero card, ie to have a positive balance, because as far as I can see we wouldn't pay any charges at all until we used up the overpayment and actually started using the £1000 credit limit.
    Clear as mud??

As I said, any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

i took a combination of credit cards, cash and travellers cheques (us dollars) whilst i was out there last year, travellers cheques were great there as i know they are a bit dated, however i never once had a problem using them in shops (they take them as cash in most shops, and just had to show id) its safer than cash and you are guarenteed to get it back if they are stolen (as amex proved with mine i took to australia, had i not had travellers cheques in oz i would have been completly stranded as all my cash and my credit card was stolen, i had travellers cheques the day after they were stolen, cc company would not send card to me and you cant replace cash! i would never go away now without them)

i would suggest you take credit card for emergencies and with your cash buy a certain amount of us$ travellers cheques, ie perhaps £400 worth of cash and £600 worth of dollars, then its not all your eggs in one basket

also i would make sure before you leave, that you tell your card provider you are going there so they are aware

another good card is nationwide cc (no exchange fees etc for purchases) and if you have the debit card, no fee on withdrawals or perchases
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Cloudane wrote: »
    I got £2500, I think that's about the limit.
    In my online application I stated I wished to do BT of £5900 from Mr T and that was the credit limit Abbey gave me>
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On my Branch application I stated 2 x BT's totalling £9200 and got exactly that.
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, on my Santander Zero card application, which is six weeks old today, all I’ve got so far is a Change of Address form when I haven’t changed my address for 33 years, and last Friday a How To Complain leaflet when I’ve already complained in writing several times.

This is from a company that approached me for this guaranteed pre-approved application for existing valued customers.

The cost to me so far is about £70 depending on whether they ever process my application.

I can only assume I’m not a bad enough risk for them to bother doing the paperwork…
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    not_loaded wrote: »
    Well, on my Santander Zero card application, which is six weeks old today, all I’ve got so far is a Change of Address form when I haven’t changed my address for 33 years, and last Friday a How To Complain leaflet when I’ve already complained in writing several times.

This is from a company that approached me for this guaranteed pre-approved application for existing valued customers.

The cost to me so far is about £70 depending on whether they ever process my application.

I can only assume I’m not a bad enough risk for them to bother doing the paperwork…

Having read through the thread again, I would simply say - give up, and go elsewhere. It is not worth the time, effort or frustration to persue the matter as you are doing. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, but now I have a ‘How To Complain’ leaflet… As if a 55 year old who has lived in the UK all his life would not know how to complain.

I feel that reading the good and the bad on this thread helps punters make a decision on which card to go for.

People at Santander will eventually (maybe) devote time to analysing my complaint letters and come to some sort of conclusion. A pity they can’t just work efficiently in the first place. I wonder how big their complaints department is?

I appreciate you reading back over the thread, and your point of view, but bearing in mind how crappy customer service has become in the UK, I think it’s in everyone’s interest to complain about abysmal service when it is encountered.

Giving up so easily is what has got us where we are today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure