American Airlines big flight sale: New York £299, Boston £313, Dallas £385 and more

Options
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif What's this about?[/title]
American Airlines is selling an abundance of transatlantic seats during its Easter sale, from London Heathrow and Manchester, until 22 April.

Return journeys to New York start from £299, Boston £313, Dallas £385, LA £393 plus others, including most taxes & charges and availability is good.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif How to find them...
[/title]
You can travel between 12 April and 30 June, plus 1 September and 31 October. Flights during the traditional summer holiday period leap to between £500 and £600 so if you want to travel with kids, think about the May half term instead. Your travel must include at least one Saturday night.
  • Got a specific date & location in mind?

If you fancy going away to a certain destination on specific dates, don't bother looking at this sale direct, as the results are included in the cheap flight screenscrapers Kayak* and Travelsupermarket* and Fly.com.

So use those and they'll show the sale's flights and also if any other airlines have cheap deals, just in case American Airlines is beatable. See the Cheap Flights guide for more details.
Remember, for safety, pay on a credit card to get extra protection. See the Section 75 guide for full info.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif £300 return to New York doesn't sound THAT cheap, does it?[/title]
Some will remember the £160 London to New York returns with Delta in September '06. However fuel costs have rocketed since then, plus taxes and charges, so currently anything under £300 is very good and under £250 is practically impossible. The cheapest this year had limited availability at £270 return in the New Years' sales using a special Opodo £20 discount code.

Outside of sale periods flights to New York are around the £370 mark across the board (for example, BA, Continental and Delta). So as you can nab 'em for just under £300 right now, it's a pretty decent saving if you planned to book anyway, especially as taxes alone cost around £210.

Yet the real advantage here is that there is good range of availability for a large range of dates.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif More Travel MoneySaving[/title] [signupbox]test[/signupbox]

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or affiliate sites, this then means if you end up getting a product this site gets revenue

You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things we write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, its still listed in the same way. The following links Kayak and Travelsupermarket are identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click on the following link for more details on how this site's financed.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April 2010 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Excl July and August

"Check out our great fares for your summer holiday or a weekend break to many U.S. destinations. These low fares are available to book until 22nd April.
    You can even put your booking on hold for 24 hours to search for an accommodation and car hire.

We also have great prices from other UK airports including Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle.

Travel between:
    12 Apr - 30 Jun
    1 Sep - 31 Oct
    From
    Destination Total Fare
    London Heathrow New York £299
    London Heathrow Los Angeles £393
    London Heathrow Boston £313
    London Heathrow Chicago £333
    London Heathrow Orlando £415
    London Heathrow Washington £315
    London Heathrow Dallas/Fort Worth £385
    London Heathrow Las Vegas £435
    London Heathrow San Francisco £395
    Manchester New York £309
    Manchester Chicago £355
    Manchester Los Angeles £418
    Manchester Las Vegas £415
    Manchester Orlando £389
    Manchester San Francisco £418
    Destinations On Sale & Fare Rules i_safe.gif

i_safe.gif The prices quoted above include all taxes and fees and are correct at time of offer. Fares subject to limited availability at time of booking, fare rules apply.

Fares are based on an adult return-trip and are valid for midweek travel Monday to Thursday. Higher fares may apply for weekend travel Friday to Sunday.

News And Other Offers

Manchester - New York JFK New Route Offer
    Help us celebrate our new daily nonstop service from Manchester to New York JFK and earn up to 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles with our latest offer. These bonus miles can be earned an unlimited number of times.
    More Information"
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Link returns File Not Found - Error 404
  • krdrummer
    krdrummer Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just done a search for the three of us (2 adults one child) to go to LA from Manchester during May school holidays. We can indeed get £393 but only if we do three stops taking the overall journey to something like 16 hours. We can get one stop 'if' we fly from Heathrow which involves an internal flight down to London.

Hype, Hype and more Hype! :mad:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Consider other LA airport ONTario.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • southoftheriver
    Options
    I've managed to put flights on hold to San Francisco for £395, yes it is with a stopover but I didn't expect direct flights for that price.

Just need the courage to book now!
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
  • Foxtbh
    Foxtbh Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    £406 to LA. Very good - some £50 less than Virgin and £70 less than Air NZ.

Trouble is AA get a pretty bad writeup everywhere I go. The extra £50-£70 seems almost worth it.

Is there any indication that either Virgin or Air NZ will have some sort of similar sale any time soon? I can't imagine they'll sell many £500 flights with AA offering the same flight for £400.
  • mateyboy
    mateyboy Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    krdrummer wrote: »
    Just done a search for the three of us (2 adults one child) to go to LA from Manchester during May school holidays. We can indeed get £393 but only if we do three stops taking the overall journey to something like 16 hours. We can get one stop 'if' we fly from Heathrow which involves an internal flight down to London.

Hype, Hype and more Hype! :mad:

Yes I totally agree a lot of good window dressing which gets the interest .. when you get into the shop the shelves are bare or not worth buying !
    It's nice to be Important

But It's Important to be nice
  • helen5352
    helen5352 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking for flights in to San Francisco and out of LA at the end Oct/beg November. For the dates I want AA are coming in at £800 (for 2 PAX, 1 stop on way there, direct way back) BA £930 and Virgin £948 (both direct) While the AA deal seems very attractive I am put off by the reviews that AA seem to receive. Would much rather hold on if BA or Virgin are having a sale anytime soon, or am I holding on for something that isn't going to materialise and then lose out on the AA flights too! What a predicament!
  • Foxtbh
    Foxtbh Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    helen5352 wrote: »
    I'm looking for flights in to San Francisco and out of LA at the end Oct/beg November. For the dates I want AA are coming in at £800 (for 2 PAX, 1 stop on way there, direct way back) BA £930 and Virgin £948 (both direct) While the AA deal seems very attractive I am put off by the reviews that AA seem to receive. Would much rather hold on if BA or Virgin are having a sale anytime soon, or am I holding on for something that isn't going to materialise and then lose out on the AA flights too! What a predicament!

This is exactly my situation - same destination as well. Just dont know what to do, really - I want to fly Air NZ or Virgin as AA have such poor writeups.

I was in this same situation last year, I flew to Australia and wanted to fly Singapore. It was £800. Malaysia offered £560 bargain fare, I went for it. 1 month later Singapore dropped to £399!

I dont want the same to happen again.
  • dustystar02
    dustystar02 Posts: 1,461 Forumite
    Options
    Foxtbh wrote: »
    This is exactly my situation - same destination as well. Just dont know what to do, really - I want to fly Air NZ or Virgin as AA have such poor writeups.

I was in this same situation last year, I flew to Australia and wanted to fly Singapore. It was £800. Malaysia offered £560 bargain fare, I went for it. 1 month later Singapore dropped to £399!

I dont want the same to happen again.

Try using the multi stop flights search on Opodo, we've got some great prices for flying into NY and out of Miami
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure