Only a week until Call of Duty: Ghosts

Options

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2013 at 5:03PM
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to slate them for their campaign - it's only really a back up for when your internet is down! People don't get CoD for the single player aspect (or if they do they really shouldn't bother!) it's all about the multiplayer. This is really just one big (expensive) map pack and a reset button. Small improvements in graphics etc. Re-jig of a few things.

It is what it is and it's very successful! I don't think anyone is fooled that it is anything else.
    I don't get excited for it any more either but this is purely because the calibre of other multiplayer games has increased vastly in recent times. There are also way way more multiplayer games to choose from out there too.

I bought the original Call of Duty games for their single-player campaign mode so I think it is entirely appropriate to slate them for taking the cheap, lazy option of overcharging for what you rightly say is little more than a map pack for an EA Sports style annual multiplayer release.

The fact is that there are plenty of games out there that balance an attractive multiplayer package with a solid, reasonable sized single-player campaign and don't have the nerve to charge around 15-20% more than their competitors, nor refuse to offer their back catalogue titles for proper sale prices on digital distribution platforms. Unfortunately they're not being released by the dominant duo of Activision and EA, who are aggressively trying to control the gaming industry.

And frankly, people who buy into the CoD hype are playing their part in the major developers and publishers feeling that it is acceptable to do this; when gaming eventually stagnates like other entertainment mediums they'll only have themselves to blame.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to slate them for their campaign - it's only really a back up for when your internet is down! People don't get CoD for the single player aspect (or if they do they really shouldn't bother!) it's all about the multiplayer. This is really just one big (expensive) map pack and a reset button. Small improvements in graphics etc. Re-jig of a few things.

It is what it is and it's very successful! I don't think anyone is fooled that it is anything else.
    I don't get excited for it any more either but this is purely because the calibre of other multiplayer games has increased vastly in recent times. There are also way way more multiplayer games to choose from out there too.

I have no interest in playing it online given the toxic nature of the playerbase - thus I can slate it for a lazy, short campaign because ultimately it's the reason I'd be buying the game. The single player campaign is a core element of the game & if it's sub standard (which it is) then it's a fair assessment to slate it, it will be graphically pleasing, but it will be short on entertainment. The problem is that Activision have neglected the fact that not everyone is ONLY interested in multiplayer.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I buy CoD because I can just pick it up and play, not because I've been swept away by the hype.

Whatever your opinion of it, CoD is all about the MP. So what if the SP is 3 hours long, I know that for 12 months I'll have plenty of play time with MP and I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.
  • Hodge4ever
    Options
    They've made a new mode with aliens in. I imagine this is Infinity Wards take on zombie mode.
    Didn't know about this, I wasn't going to bother (the first CoD I won't have got at launch for many years) but as a massive Zombies fan I might give it a try. I've got my fingers crossed for some next-gen Zombies action :T
  • BrookesAndrew
    Options
    I am looking forward to the game and I do like the single player but I am only buying it for the multiplayer. CoD 4 set the ball in motion for multiplayer and I have to be honest it hasn't been as good since then. MW2 was okay, MW3 was okay. Nothing will compare to MW1 though.

I am looking forward to the game but I agree with what people have said. EA and Activision just releasing the same old games year in year out without any major designs. I think FIFA are a lot worse for it because they don't seem to do anything with there games.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Erm, hate to point out the obvious but EA make FIFA - even then FIFA has had numerous improvements over the last 5 years which have improved the game.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • earthworm6889
    Options
    I for one am looking forward to buying the new Call of Duty. Call me what you want, but this is one of the only 2 games I buy year in year out. Along with FIFA (another money grabber, according to most people on here). I've had every CoD since MW2 and have not attempted story mode since then. 90% of CoD users buy the game purely for online play, it seems there are a lot of people on these forums that come on just to moan about things. If you can't play CoD online, you stick to the story mode on easy or don't buy the game. Or better still, don't spend your time writing reviews on why you won't be buying it.
  • gboom2000
    Options
    I for one am looking forward to buying the new Call of Duty. Call me what you want, but this is one of the only 2 games I buy year in year out. Along with FIFA (another money grabber, according to most people on here). I've had every CoD since MW2 and have not attempted story mode since then. 90% of CoD users buy the game purely for online play, it seems there are a lot of people on these forums that come on just to moan about things. If you can't play CoD online, you stick to the story mode on easy or don't buy the game. Or better still, don't spend your time writing reviews on why you won't be buying it.

You're the reason games developers have stopped trying to be innovative and would rather re-hash a game over and over while people pay for what they're used to. But don't get upset about what I say, you just concentrate on levelling your soldier in the same way you have done the last 5 games and you'll soon be able to buy a new dog collar for that innovative new dog they've put in ghosts.
  • BrookesAndrew
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Erm, hate to point out the obvious but EA make FIFA - even then FIFA has had numerous improvements over the last 5 years which have improved the game.

Yes I know EA makes FIFA if you look at my post you will see that I said that? When you look at FIFA 09 compared to FIFA 14 yes the gameplay has got better and you notice a difference. Every single year though there is hardly any difference. That is my opinion anyway. I still buy it though because of the ultimate team and its what my friends get and I want to play UT with them not be playing it on my own on FIFA 13.

Call of Duty is made for the online gameplay. That is the best thing about it by far.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do wonder if all the hours wasted on call of duty online where used elsewhere would we now have a cure for cancer and/or aids.

I helped my brother stop my nephews PS3 from working online after 10 at night as he is in his final year at school and the message of GCSE results look better on your CV than you rank on zombies just wasn't sinking in.

Persoanlly I really can't see the point, I play games for a story/adventure, hours of grinding for ranks with no actual point really doesn't appeal to me.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income