PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• laloopi
    laloopi Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    £3 spend in £land today as I happened to be there, but no box delivery as we're on holiday next week. I've just realised I'll be spending loads on food soon, for my son's birthday, but will take it from a different budget!
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening folks, not been on a full shop but popped down to the local chicken factory shop today to top up my freezer. I got a box of 31 grade A chicken breast for £20.21 which was a great buy worked out at about 65p each. Grade A is usually markies, sainsburies etc so was really pleased with this, but managed to bag a better bargain when the lady behind the counter said 'oh by the way - all these fresh chickens are 50p each but are use by tomorrow, so me being me decided to take 6, and they weigh about 3.5lb each so will do us nicely! They are the ones supplied to the co-op, cant remember the name they are using for them just now, but wish I had more space in the freezer - guess what we will be having quite a bit over the next few weeks! Will have to pay them a visit more often. No other purchases so we are doing not too badly!
    Every days a School day!
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Now when I use garlic I tend to use about 3 cloves(yes we do stink).
    Love your honesty :rotfl: and I probably do too, as I use Lazy Garlic in a lot of recipes.

Thanks for the rest of your post angela - I've now got notes made all over the piece of paper I have the Shepherdess Pie written on ;) although as my menu planner runs in 4-5wk cycles, I won't be trying any of the suggestions out for another 4-5 wks, but I do appreciate everyone's input :)
    SalAmander wrote: »
    I know you were asking Brodie1 but if it's of any use to you, here are my thoughts. Marigold is a very good bouillon. Kallo is good, too, and if you're looking for salt-reduced cubes, they do a great low salt option. Knorr is also good, although a bit salty for my taste. For me, Marigold works best. .
    I was asking anyone who cared to offer an answer SalAmander :)
    My local Te$co didn't have Marig0ld when I went in today so I got the offer of 3 Packets/boxes of Kn0rr for £1.50. But I am having an online delivery from A$da over the next few days, so have added Marig0ld to that.
    MrsEm wrote: »
    Well I do now know how much milk & coffee we (mostly me) get through - was a shock - £10.11 just on milk & coffee powder so far this month is roughly 10% of what I've spent in total!
    Disappointed with self
    MrsEm
    Don't be disappointed with yourself :grouphug: - nobody starts the challenge being an expert, and those of us who have been doing it a few months still aren't - but what we are all doing, is saving money compared to what we used to spend :j So try not to be so hard on yourself.

If you have the time/can be bothered, it might pay you to make a note of when your favourite coffee is on offer, as SM's tend to do offers in cycles. I started to do this a couple of months back, as OH and I like nice coffee, and it's one thing I'm not prepared to compromise on.

After an initial outlay on several jars, I am now in a position that (in theory and so far in practice too) I no longer have to pay full price for our coffee, because a new offer comes along before we have run out of the last lot we bought when it was on offer. I apply the same plan to buying cheese (again, it has to be a good quality mature cheddar), so I never pay full price for cheese either, and have just started to do the same with my meat, as Meat, Cheese & Coffee are probably the 3 most expensive things on my shopping list. So trying something similar may help you too :)

Thanks also for your post re Shepherdess Pie and stock cubes too Spigs and also Rosieben too :)

Apologies if I've missed anyone. With regard to sourcing frozen Leeks as discussed earlier in the week. I forgot to check Te$cos today, but someone else said they got theirs from Icel@nd. Had a look in mine today, but I couldn't see any, Maybe it depends on the size of the store - which is often the case.

Spends today in £idl, Tesco & Icel@nd of £11.65, bringing total spends so far to £ 85.69 REMAINING BUDGET £189.31, and I've got an A$da online order either Sunday or Monday (haven't completed it yet) for about £80, but I only do two a month, and this will be my first one, so I'm not too worried at the moment, although with it standing at £80, it wont leave much for the 2nd shop, but what can you do? If you need it, you need it.

I've only been monitoring meat offers for the last month, but based on my SM cycle theory, I'm hoping my local £idl will have some Chicken Breast on offer tomorrow :D .......gonna be gutted if they don't! :rotfl:

Have a frugal weekend everyone :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • try2bgood
    Options
    Hello all

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a long time and I've been inspired by your efforts!

I've recently become responsible for our shopping and cooking, since my mother has been diagnosed with a serious chronic illness. I'm on a steep learning curve so I need advice!!

I've been shocked by the amount we spend on food and by the amount of food we waste!! I'm trying to cut down, and to get bargains wherever I can. I bought some reduced meat from Mr T today - lamb, pork and chicken, all of which have to be used today!!! I've put the chicken and pork in the freezer, but now I'm not sure if it will be ok. If I take it out, it will have to defrost for a day. Will this make it go bad? The lamb is in the fridge - will I be able to eat it tommorrow if I cook it tonight and eat it tomorrow, or is it then out of date? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this meat?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I'm clueless! :- )
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £8.14 spent today. £2.00 in Boots on body spray.

The rest was in Lidl on some Super Noodles (I know, but they were on offer!) a bag of spinach, some Flash cleaner and some kitchen rolls. I usually just get cheapy kitchen roll, but they had packs of Plenty on offer (8 rolls) for £3.49 which I thought was quite good and they'll last for ages.

I will need to get some milk in the next couple of days and i'll need some toilet rolls too, but apart from that, I shouldn't need much else for a while.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • mrsbowie
    mrsbowie Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    try2bgood wrote: »
    Hello all

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a long time and I've been inspired by your efforts!

I've recently become responsible for our shopping and cooking, since my mother has been diagnosed with a serious chronic illness. I'm on a steep learning curve so I need advice!!

I've been shocked by the amount we spend on food and by the amount of food we waste!! I'm trying to cut down, and to get bargains wherever I can. I bought some reduced meat from Mr T today - lamb, pork and chicken, all of which have to be used today!!! I've put the chicken and pork in the freezer, but now I'm not sure if it will be ok. If I take it out, it will have to defrost for a day. Will this make it go bad? The lamb is in the fridge - will I be able to eat it tommorrow if I cook it tonight and eat it tomorrow, or is it then out of date? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this meat?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I'm clueless! :- )

Hi, you'll be fine, I buy meat bang it in the freezer, take out when I need to defrost, I usually put it on a plate once defrosted I put it back in the fridge till I cook it the same day, never had any problems.
  • brodie1_2
    brodie1_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    I think I may try that, or even maybe Kn0rr, or would you say marig0ld and kall0 are superior to Kn0rr too? I don't mind if one is a little more expensive than the other, as I'm not using it all the time, and it's false economy to buy one that isn't going to give me a rich stock......which 0xo certainly haven't been doing. I think the stock granules produce an even more wishy-washy stock than the cubes, if that's possible......sometimes you find yourself using ingredients because your Mum used to, don't you? Or is that just me :D

Hi, yep,
    I find marigold or kallo much better (for my taste). I have seen in books on tv a few chefs use bouillon stock(such as marigold or kallo). I find its not as salty and really helps in alot of dishes to make the flavour just right if u know what I mean:) hope this helps hippichiq
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • brodie1_2
    brodie1_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Diflower wrote: »
    Marigold, Marigold, Marigold:)
    Others are mere shadows of veg stock - there's a low salt version too

Yep,
    I agree maigold is the best and I use the lo salt too:T
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    try2bgood wrote: »
    I bought some reduced meat from Mr T today - lamb, pork and chicken, all of which have to be used today!!!

I've put the chicken and pork in the freezer, but now I'm not sure if it will be ok. If I take it out, it will have to defrost for a day. Will this make it go bad?
    Fine in the freezer for months, just don't leave it too long between defrosting and cooking/eating.

The lamb is in the fridge - will I be able to eat it tommorrow if I cook it tonight and eat it tomorrow, or is it then out of date?
    I (personally) wouldn't even worry about cooking it until tomorrow (or the day after) unless it doesn't look/smell totally fresh now. The best before dates all have to be within what it will actually last for, otherwise it would be turning on the shelves on the last day.
    Cheryl
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just started using the small bottles of knorr bullion and think it is really good. I prefer it to the kallo and marigold ones, and even the knorr boullion paste. I suppose it depends on what your individual taste is, and what you are making. I find stock cubes are bland compared to what they used to be.
    Every days a School day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport