PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Can anyone give me some ideas for using up cooking apples apart from apple crumble of which I alraedy have one in the freezer? Oh's Mum got given loads so she has given us a big bag & much as I like crumble, I don't have much space in my freezer & was also wondering about a bit of variety to crumble?
    Thanks Long tall sally
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    If you have anywhere coolish you can put the apples in a box, separated with eg newspaper, and they should keep for several weeks.
    Just baked apple is nice - core it, score round the middle, stuff hole with dried fruit/sugar/cinnamon, microwave or oven if it's on.
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had to go to town today so popped into h*me bargins £11.06 on packet lunch bits, curry sauce, beans and tinned toms. Then Mr s £2.99 for milk and lazy chilli. Also got some loo rolls but I had a voucher for that! Its only the 8th and the money is going and I've got DD birthday and halloween at the end of the month. The children will want party food. I make fairy cakes too often for that to be exciting for them!! Need to be inspired. Help!

P.S. I use Kn**r prefer the granules but actually have cubes in the cupboard at the moment!
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Apple scone is nice. Ordinary scone mix with a chopped up large coooking apple in it. Make one large scone and cut into portions before it cools. I mark it before I bake it. Apple pancakes apple fritters. Some apple sauce in jars(you could freeze it) Apart from that Id slice them and freeze them until you need them.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • hannah:-)_2
    Options
    Managed a NSD on Weds and today :-)

Thursday I did my 'big' shop, but it was a lot smaller than usual as I stocked up on basics so much last month!

I spent 48.87, which wasn't too bad overall, and still gives me £60 to buy fresh veg etc. :D All is good unless I think about how many days there are left this month. :eek:

Not sure if there are any herbal tea drinkers on here, but Mr T has got Tw!nings 3 for £2.50 on at the moment, making each box 83p instead of the ransom they normally charge!

Really need to stick to budget this month tho - took my car to the garage. Was really pleased as it wasn't the suspension going after all, but stones caught up in the springs causing a grating noise. He didn't charge me for removing the stones, but as he was lowering the car down he spotted two screws in one of my tyres! Couldn't be fixed because one was too close to the edge, so I'm £55 poorer for a new tyre :eek::eek::eek: Oh well, better safe than sorry.
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek:
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Well didnt manage another NSD went to MR T on way home from work as needed bread and milk. Also got 10 muller for £3. Only yoghurt hubby likes and takes 1 day to work. Also got some half price prawns for paella, dh favourite. Also got some £1 garlic bread slices to go with it. Will use half and put half in freezer for another day. Was kind of good as had the Pizza Express 2 garlic breads in had which were £2.50 ish and put them back and took quid ones instead. Total Spend of £9.63
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Mrs. Mac. Please will you put me down for £150.00 for this month .
    Thanks
    Pat
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spent $19.30 between Mr.S,poundshop,the market and treating ourself's to fish n' chip's.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No too bad spend in Mr T - £20.01 but did the shopping last night as had to go into town Friday night and thought it would save time so no shopping list or menu planner prepared! :eek:May have to pick up a couple of bits and pieces once that has been done. Did get reduced bread, chilis and spring onions and only paid £2 for a large box of Rice krispies.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone give me some ideas for using up cooking apples apart from apple crumble of which I alraedy have one in the freezer? Oh's Mum got given loads so she has given us a big bag & much as I like crumble, I don't have much space in my freezer & was also wondering about a bit of variety to crumble?
    Thanks Long tall sally

I like Eve's Pudding which is stewed apple topped with victoria sponge batter and baked in the oven. Yummy with custard. You could jazz up your crumble mix to ring the changes; I use crushed ammeretti(sp) or ginger biscuits or oats for a bit of variety. The ammeretti is especially nice on top of a mix of apples and pears.

Good news here is DH used his own money last night so my budget is intact and the baby slept through the night for the first time in a few weeks:D:j
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business