Delivery mileage issue

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd want either a new one - or the ex-demo at ex-demo prices .

Dinner's a bl00dy insult. Tell him to shove his pie up his after-pie hole ....and make you a real offer to now recompense you for treating you like a fool.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    Up to 50 miles? Na, they're trying it on. I've had 6, 5 and 1 mile on the clock on the 3 new ones I've had. I'd say 50 miles was second hand let alone a few hundred. The interior won't be spotless and nor will the rest of the car after that and it will have been thrashed for those miles as well which is no good as you have to run it in gently.
    I would say if they sell it to you as ex demo and knock £5k off then fine, if not you'll wait for the new one to be delivered and use it as the courtesy car in the meantime. Don't accept any less.
    It depends. A factory built order you'd expect to have very minimal miles on the clock but a lot of new cars are bought from stock so they've usually been driven to a field somewhere and stored, moved, driven to transporters etc, so anything up to 50 miles would be reasonable for these types of cars.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah the fact it's been used for 300 miles of demos means it's no longer "new", so I'd be expecting to either:

1. Cancel the whole thing, walk away and buy from a better dealer
    2. Have them get you another new car with the options you wanted
    3. Price that one as an ex-demonstrater.
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    It depends. A factory built order you'd expect to have very minimal miles on the clock but a lot of new cars are bought from stock so they've usually been driven to a field somewhere and stored, moved, driven to transporters etc, so anything up to 50 miles would be reasonable for these types of cars.

All 3 were factory builds due to the spec so maybe that's why they were so low.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've had 2 from new which came with 11 miles and 3.5 miles and I would have said up to 25 was reasonable. In the OP's case - no way; it's now an ex-demo so big discount or re-order and the free dinner to apologise for the extra wait.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • n217970
    Options
    kdeebee wrote: »
    We also went in to sign lease documents...

If its a lease what does it matter?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Deivery mileage is generally accepted as being less than 1000 miles.

Don't assume that just because it has a few miles on it, it's been thrashed up the motorway. Most new cars are actually now transported via transporter, not only to avoid them being trashed by inexperienced drivers, but also because when they are driven on the road they can incur other damage (such as stone chips to paintwork, windscreen, etc tyre damage, etc) all of which would then need to be recified at the dealer's expense.
    So better to use a fully insured transport service for transporting vehicles.

So where does up to 1000 miles delivery mileage occur? When built, some cars are selected for conformity testing purposes, or for careful examination because of an identified fault before the car even leaves the factory.
    The car will be carefully driven, as the reason for the driving (which may be accumlated on a rolling road) is to gain informative data, not for some kid to test on a speed pan.

It's a very accomodating dealer that is willing to allow you to cancel the order with only about 250 miles on the clock ... or they know it's a cra they can quickly sell to someone else, possibly for more money than you agreed to pay for it.

(It's not been unknown for the odd unscrupulous dealer to simply fit a new cluster to a car with a few miles on it, so the customer thinks they will get a car with pehaps just a couple of miles on when new. - it's usally more than a ciouple of miles from the end of the production line, to the rolling road, to the shipping area, to the lorry, off the lorry, to the compound, from the compoud to the dealer, to the garage for service, to the polaish & wax area, etc. So be very wary of any car with just a couple of miles on the clock when you pick it up)
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's more the fact the dealer has admitted it's been used for test drives, and the mileage wasn't due to the delivery/manufacturer process.

It could have potentially had 100 random punters taking it "round the block". Or worse, someone could have had it for the weekend.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kdeebee wrote: »
    ----
    UPDATE: They offered paint protection (typically worth £350 apparently). I will refuse the car if this is all they do. We also went in to sign lease documents and "they had checked all the numbers, we just had to sign." Fortunately, I checked the numbers against the numbers from their quote (using my phone at the dealer) and there was a difference of £575. Basically, the car came with extra options "by mistake" and they just added them to the price in the lease... even though we hadn't asked for them in the first place. Most people probably wouldn't bother double checking I guess. When we confronted them, it was "a typo" and they corrected it.

So the final bill accidentally incuded £575 worth of optional extras that not only did you not wish to have included, but were not actually on the car?

Well done on spotting this. Makes you wonder why the salesperson did not spot he was having difficulty making the final bill match the price you agreed to pay, let alone how extras that were not actually included were on the invoice. But then again the invoice is often manually created, and in a busy dealership, it's often cut & paste from a similar sale (only the car's identifcation etc are changed)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Deivery mileage is generally accepted as being less than 1000 miles.
    In who's world? Sorry but I don't think anyone would accept a new car with a 1000 miles on the clock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure