One Call Insurance

Options

Comments

• dinj13
    Options
    Chose one call as it was my cheapest quote only £18 per month car insurance. Seem to be pretty straight forward, even had a call saving me a extra £1 as they stated I could lower my excess. A week later I received a letter from another company stating my insurance would be cancelled with one call if i did not sign and return a credit agreement, I thought I better had. Now it seems this other company are charging me massive interest and I am now paying them £30 per month and it seems they have paid off my yearly insurance to One Credit. Obviosly Id have been much better off staying with my previous insurer who was a lot cheaper. Lesson learnt, stay well away from this company!
  • Matuszak
    Matuszak Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 June 2018 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Beware of One Call Insurance! Though appearing to be normal car insurers, One Call are actually acting as a Broker for other insurers, while simultaneously running a claims company (Commercial Legal), a car repair service (OC Motor Repairs), a Car Hire Service, and a company of solicitors (OCL Solicitors) all under the same ownership! Thus, if you are clearly the not-at-fault-party in an accident, while you are on the phone to them, still traumatised from the accident, they will persuade you to decline the services of the actual company they had insured you with, and instead use their own, 'faster and easier' services. If you fall for this, they will get YOU to sign the block of forms, ordering the repair and the car hire services, thus making YOU responsible for all payments, rather than the at-fault-party! You will then have to go through a complicated legal process which can easily take a year and may involve taking the insurance of the at-fault-party to court - trying to get them to pay for the excessive repair and car hire charges Commercial Legal/OC Motor Repairs will have landed you with
    - as, of course, they themselves, as a multifaceted company, would be in a win - win situation, whatever the outcome.
  • Skintsquid
    Options
    Like most here, I chose One Call as the quote on a comparison website was the lowest for the cover I needed, which included free breakdown recovery. I realised I'd been conned when my car broke down and I had to pay a £20 "call out charge." Therefore NOT free breakdown recovery. They now claim I have "free breakdown membership" not recovery, which seems utterly meaningless. They also put my premiums up by £6 a month, saying my voluntary excess of £350 was "too high' - unfortunately I agreed to this as I was so confused by the hard sell. Now I've traded in my car and phoned to cancel the insurance policy, they want to charge me over £120 as a cancellation fee... I'd only pay £160 if I continued paying monthly until the end of the policy so it seems entirely unreasonable! They're saying I have to pay for "extras" such as legal cover in full for the year, plus a £55 cancellation fee. I wish I'd read this thread before taking the policy out, my ex used to handle the car insurance so I'm new to all of this and I guess I'm not expecting companies to try to rip people off in this way, I'm too trusting.

They're claiming they make all these "hidden" costs and fees perfectly clear - evidently not, or I wouldn't have taken out the policy. Because it's all buried in the T&Cs it's all legal apparently, the Financial Ombudsman told me over the phone that there's nothing they can do. Reading through the other threads it's clear that One Call are exploiting all the loopholes they can, hoping that we won't read or find the hidden costs before taking out the policy, stinging people with large cancellation fees, as well as nefarious dealings when it comes to renewals, charges over documentation etc.

They've said if I don't pay the fee then they'll hand it over to their Debt Recovery team and the cost will be even higher. I'm a single parent on benefits, with two kids with additional/special needs, life is stressful enough but £120 is a LOT to me. I don't know if there's anything I can do about it, but I'll blummin well go down swinging - is there anyone else on here who is willing to go to the newspapers with this? I think there's enough here for a financial media story, consumers aren't being given enough protection and are being ripped off.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    They are not out of step with other insurers regarding no refund if you cancel extras (like legal cover/breakdown etc) and a £55 cancellation fee is in the ball park

And they will set out in the policy docs what happens if you cancel early, so their threat to pursue you for any money you owe will have to be taken seriously
  • Bulldog_Brit
    Bulldog_Brit Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 October 2018 at 11:35AM
    Options
    I have dealings with these with my no claims bonus. Their no claims bonus is a scam so avoid it at all costs. It’s been reported to tradings standards and the financial ombudsman as it’s mis sold to people who buy. As people on here say they don’t really give a s**t.
    AVOID AT ALL COSTS. It’s about time BBCs Watchdog had it in its teeth.
    jorainbow wrote: »
    I would appreciate it if anyone can assist here with some advice please! I have been with One Call for my car insurance since October. After a mess up with my direct debits and the receipt of a 7 day cancellation notice as they went into my bank on the wrong day, I eventually got this sorted - minus an apology of course! I am now buying a new car so called yesterday to transfer the insurance across bridging it for a couple of days until my new cover note arrived. The car is older and a smaller engine so in previous experience this would mean cheaper insurance and having had a quick look, I would be saving over £100 on my existing car insurance. Simple?? No - after getting through to a very inexperienced chap who was purely passing messages from his manager, it transpires that it would cost me the same plus £99. The cancellation fee? 55% of my current annual premium as I have been with them over six months (did put him right on this one!) So its either cancel and pay the fee or pay £99 and what can only be described as an extortionate price for a small little old car. The insurance company is Zurich. Can anyone see a way of sorting this with minimal expense? I used to be with M&S insurance and any changes like this were so easy! Thanks in advnce Jo
  • Bulldog_Brit
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear you have experienced similar. Good luck but report them like I did, tell your trading standards team
  • r6owned
    r6owned Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 November 2018 at 9:04PM
    Options
    wish I had consulted this forum, before buying oncecall insurance, but hey ho, another life lesson.
    My question is about the driving license number request, I did not supply it on the application, I've seen this before on other car insurance quotes and its never been mandatory, then I see in an email they sent me after purchase, they want my license number and nat ins number, as yet I have not supplied either of them, had I known it was mandatory (not that I have any convictions) i would have gone else where to purchase car insurance. I read the documents they sent me by post, it says they may request these details and the same goes for NCB proof.
    it may be a coincidence but i see the insurer is ageas, same as I was insured with before via swinton, maybe they have all the info they need already. I don't intend to share my Nat Ins number with an ins broker.

be good to read feedback on this, thanks, Luisa
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Don't end up with a cancelled policy

If you don't intend to comply with the ts + cs then cancel before they do!
  • r6owned
    r6owned Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    for reasons I can't disclose here, my nat ins details are locked up by dwp, so it seems onecall are unable to confirm my driving license info and that it ties up with my nat ins data.

so they have announced i have until the 24th to give them the correct details, despite me doing it twice on their on line portal, and it saying success
    I'm a uk resident since birth I have a valid nat ins number and clean driving license since mid 1970's

So I have put plan B into action and renewed car ins with the broker and underwriter I had in 2017/18 that ran out in early nov

avoid onecall... they are a nightmare on any street
    Buyer beware!!
  • Josh107
    Josh107 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 3 February 2019 at 2:30PM
    Options
    Beware that trust pilot is being manipulated to make this company look good....there is a definite pattern to the 5 star reviews that laud this company - the customer service sfaff (often using codes and numbers and/or names) and customer service (A JOKE FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE) --- a few examples from just the last few hrs, continually shown on places like Topcashback, Quidco - which they use to entice customers

i just took out insurance with the above company going by Trust Pilot. However, other online sources show this is an appalling company in customer service and unfair charges. Looking closer at the positve reviews i see many have a simialr theme - using numbers and letters to refer to a company rep. I have no doubt they are written by the same person, staff or hired trolls, to manipulate the results

eg - 20 or so different reviews:

- Excellent customer service from je3
    - agent LW1 was so helpful
    - Excellent assistance, thank you MT4!
    - The agent bj5 was very helpful and ran through everything needed
    - Jv1 QCD very helpful and quick service. Easy change over from other insurer .
    - Great customer service from tb1 she has saved me a lot of money Very happy new customer.
    - Matt (ms3) was vert helpful and i was happy with the policy
    - GREAT SERVICE FROM BS7
    - Great customer service from tb1 she has saved me a lot of money
    - Mt4 My query was dealt with efficiently and within minutes
    - After a phone call with Taylor, I am pleased everything sorts out quickly with the renewal. Thank you.
    TH1
    - I chatted with Megan online. She was very helpful with regard to motor insurance renewal
    - Very easy - thank you al4
    - J Sweeney tb1
    Very good customer service, not rushed and very calm. Very competitive and will use again tb1
    - Ref ce9 brilliant customer service very helpful and good competitive insurance cover
    - Kieran 10 out of 10 with question
    - Jh4 very helpful and patience with me.

Can anyone else see the pattern? The negative reviewers comments are being swamped by fake ones; literally hundreds of '4/5 star' reviews are put out daily.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback