Extortionate water bill

Options
I have recently moved into my first house in Cardiff. Previously I lived in a flat with water bills paid as part of the rent, so this is my first experience with paying water bills.

I got in touch with Welsh Water to set up an account with them and they have come back with our bill. £79.90 a month. Two people live in the property and we're generally very good with saving water. According to Welsh Water's own water use calculator we should be using £35 a month's worth.

So where does this £79 figure come from? I have requested for a metre to be installed because we will clearly save money. However that's still at least 3 months to pay over double what we're estimated to pay.

Are we able to get a rebate? We are clearly going to be paying for way more than what we are going to use.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Its a fixed amount with non-metered bills.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    It's based on the Rateble Value of your property if you have no meter.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So where does this £79 figure come from?

Are you sure it is not the quarterly figure?
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its a yearly amount based upon the rateable value of your house, the charge has been pro-rata'd from moving in date until 31/03/2020. usually their payment options for monthly end in January - how many of those payment are you making? i think the payments look skewed because we are at the end of the year. ask them what the annual bill is and divide by 12 to get more of an idea
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Read the bill and work out what its for - if you dont have a meter then tit will be based on the rateable value of your flat (Note rateable value is not the same as the council tax band) and is product of the tariff x the rateable value, nothing to do with how much you use

Most water companies send out a bill once or twice a year so check whether it's for a year, half a year, quarter or even a month.

If you want a meter make sure that you use the formal route rather than just chatting to a helpdesk so that it's properly registered and doesn't get lost

https://www.dwrcymru.com/en/My-Account/Water-Meter.aspx
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family