Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt

Options

Comments

• elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.millets.co.uk/product/104355.html

This iswhat I'm taking. Is small but rather spacious (think mini Tardis of bags) It's really comfy, it has a pocket from travel docs/passport/pen/anything else, and a pocket for MP3 players and headphone cable, so I may be emptying it out and using it when we go to the beach too. It only weighs 600g, and you can fit a good deal in there (I've got 4 days worth of clothes, spare pair of shoes - I'm a 7- and all my travel toiletries in there. Anything else, I'll stick in the pockets of my Helly waterproof (has 4, dont know if they still sell them or not)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • simondm
    Options
    I bought two of the Dunlop cases yesterday from Sports Direct after reading about them on this thread. Rather than hacksaw the top handle off, you can unzip the lining and drill through the four handle fixing bolts from the inside. Then the whole handle (and a piece of plywood) can be totally removed, leaving four very small holes in the mesh fabric. A tidier and lighter option than the hacksaw fix.
  • I've just copied this from the Easyjet website which indicates that an additional bag for purchases is permitted.

"In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
    (a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
    (b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport."

I received major hassle flying with Ryanair from both Edinburgh and Glasgow Prestwick at summer. I have been using the same cabin case for years without any problem. The "checker of the boarding pass" also insisted that the airport purchases be put in the case.
    On the flight I sat beside a gentleman who introduced me to the wearing of a coat with loads of pockets idea. On my return journey I wore as many outfits as I could, 2 pairs of trousers, two Tshirts, two dresses and a Jacket and no one batted an eyelid! Success.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You wore two dresses and two pairs of trousers?
    Didn't Mrs Eurotraveller mind?:D
  • DomConway
    Options
    Very useful thread - perhaps it should be linked from the Budget airline fee-fighting page.
  • terryya
    terryya Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    simondm wrote: »
    I bought two of the Dunlop cases yesterday from Sports Direct after reading about them on this thread. Rather than hacksaw the top handle off, you can unzip the lining and drill through the four handle fixing bolts from the inside. Then the whole handle (and a piece of plywood) can be totally removed, leaving four very small holes in the mesh fabric. A tidier and lighter option than the hacksaw fix.

Nice one. I think I might actually tidy my scruffy handles up now. I had considered drilling the studs out but had left it until the last minute and the suitcases were full!
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have one of these:

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/fcp/product/brands-for-less/Buy-Before-You-Fly/IT-Frameless-Expandable-EVA-Trolley-Case/226

(the 18" one)

Probably the best value of the trolley cases I looked at - it's light, has a nice semi-hard case, a decent capacity (41 litres) and fits within Ryanair/Easyjet restrictions. Costs £16 (plus £5.50 delivery).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we have a 20cm compliant bag, how long will it take them to change the rules to 19.5cm to catch us out?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • JKJUK
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    I have one of these:
    IT-Frameless-Expandable-EVA-Trolley-Case
    (the 18" one)

Thanks. I like the look of these but TJHughes website gives no weight or dimensions for 18" case. Benjus could you post weight and dimensions of the 18" case if possible.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JKJUK wrote: »
    Thanks. I like the look of these but TJHughes website gives no weight or dimensions for 18" case. Benjus could you post weight and dimensions of the 18" case if possible.

Including wheels, handle etc, it comes to roughly 52cm x 35cm x 20cm - the bottom is a bit thicker but squashes down to 20cm if it's not overfull. I don't have anything to weigh it with but it feels like about 2kg.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills