PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

left over pasta??

Options

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    I also make too much pasta, and tomato sauce, so tend to use them combined as pasta salad, add some veg like sweetcorn, chopped peppers, and much cheaper than buying from supermarket and deli.

Leftover spaghetti, refresh in boiling water, drain combine with some pesto (home made), and toss with grated parmesan or cheddar, scrumptious!
    Another tip, when making pesto, make a large batch, and freeze in ice cube trays, lasts for ages, and a little goes a long way.
    Making myself hungry here, just thinking about it! ;D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Where can we find the recipe for home-made pesto please?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Pesto sauce - sorry never measure anything, I am a great one for making it up as I go along, so am estimating what I use.

Good sized bunch of fresh basil (around a couple of those little herb pots you buy in supermarkets - but grown your own, its easy and cheaper).
    1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
    about 1 tblsp pine nuts
    olive oil approx 6-8 tblsp
    salt and pepper
    1 to 2oz freshly grated parmesan.

Put all ingreds apart from parmesan into blender, blend until a smooth puree. Put into dish and then stir in grated parmesan.

Toss with hot spaghetti, extra black pepper and extra parmesan if liked. It is soooooo good. ;)
  • Caterina
    Options
    I'd just add that if you can use some pecorino cheese (hard sheep cheese) mixed with the parmesan it gives a more 'authentic' flavour!

But parmesan alone also ok if you like a more delicate flavour.

Caterina
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Actually Caterina, that is what I use quite often, as I can buy blocks of that in shop I use regularily, but not parmesan, which is already grated, and like to grate my own, tastes better. Don't have any of either at the moment, and couldn't remember the name! However, still have plenty of frozen pesto! Thanks for the reminder.
    Also, absolutely nothing to do with money saving whatsoever - I like to drizzle a bit of truffle oil over too - it is heaven then! Drool, drool!
  • Caterina
    Options
    Blimey, Anne Marie, truffle oil indeed!

What about making risotto with truffle shreds then ;)

Caterina
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Ah Caterina,
    Am afraid the truffle shreds are way beyond my purse strings! ::) Will just have to make do with the truffle oil, until the lottery comes up! ;D
  • Caterina
    Options
    If you like block parmesan (real Parmigiano Reggiano) vacuum packed, at a reasonable price, LIDL are the place to go.

They do parmesan blocks, priced by weight individually, at an equivalent price per Kg of appx. £10.

It's a bargain! Even in Italy you would struggle to find it at that price - unless you choose to buy Grana Padano, which is ok but not really the same thing!

Caterina
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Thanks Caterina for post on block parmesan. Bit to travel to my nearest LIDL, but may well be worth the travel, as looks like they have lots of other bargains too. Also I tend to freeze my blocks of parmesan, so can bulk buy. What is Grana Padano?
    Thanks in anticipation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport