Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• pampam
    pampam Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pampam wrote: »
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?

Sound like a rip off to me. Get some local quotes and see what the real price is without "grants" or buy it yourself from B&Q.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2018 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Do grants for free boilers really still exist? There seem to be a number of websites suggesting they do, including the MSE article that linked me to here, but I didn't know if the information is out of date? Thank you
  • 4236perkins
    Options
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !

Don't bother with BG, instead, find a local independent gas man who will be more than happy to fix it without ripping you off on a new boiler at an inflated price. 11 years old is in no way classed as old or obsolete in my eyes. Do people really go changing their boiler every 10 years??!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2018 at 12:37PM
    Options
    We have a 15 year old Worcester (combi) condensor boiler that needs constant topping up

Annual servicing has not fixed the leak.

Is there any way that we can ger a "free replacement" boiler

We do receive warm home rebates annually - based on low income and DLA !
    We are with Scottish Power and own our own home.
    The rules are unclear
    Who can benefit?

Most ECO work is aimed at homes where someone is getting some form of means tested benefit. You may qualify for this if you claim:
    • Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
    • Working or Child Tax Credit
    • Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Universal Credit
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carer’s Allowance
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits
    • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Child Benefit
    But DLA is NOT means tested !!

Who do I approach first - my supplier ?
  • WhitbyAmmonite
    Options
    I tried to apply to eon, as they are currently named as the only company providing boiler help if you are eligible, however despite fulfilling the criteria, they didn't contact me. I contacted them after the 5 working days that they say they will get back to you, only to be told that although I am eligible, they could not help me as there are no installers in my area. (Norfolk).

My boiler was condemned last week, and I have no hot water or heating, but the government help doesn't seem to be there ... Or only if you happen to have an eon installer in your area.

Maybe the info on the thread could be amended so that people don't get too excited thinking that they may have found the answer after going round and round in an endless circle of scams :sad:
  • WhitbyAmmonite
    Options
    I don't think there is any assistance at the moment unless you have an eon installer in your area, as they seem to be the only company listed as offering help, and then will only carry out the work if they have someone in your location :(

Hope you get lucky ... :)
  • Philli2
    Philli2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, i`m about to embark on a replacement boiler trail and will keep you posted.
    I am in receipt of qualifying benefits and have contacted my supplier(not involved in scheme?)
    Eon who seem to be the only one to offer the ECO scheme and i have registered, and awaiting reply and my local council under the warm homes scheme and are awaiting a referral for an assessment using a local supplier.We will see how it unfolds,here`s hoping!!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried to apply to eon, as they are currently named as the only company providing boiler help if you are eligible, however despite fulfilling the criteria, they didn't contact me. I contacted them after the 5 working days that they say they will get back to you, only to be told that although I am eligible, they could not help me as there are no installers in my area. (Norfolk).

My boiler was condemned last week, and I have no hot water or heating, but the government help doesn't seem to be there ... Or only if you happen to have an eon installer in your area.

Maybe the info on the thread could be amended so that people don't get too excited thinking that they may have found the answer after going round and round in an endless circle of scams :sad:
    I don't think there is any assistance at the moment unless you have an eon installer in your area, as they seem to be the only company listed as offering help, and then will only carry out the work if they have someone in your location :(

Hope you get lucky ... :)

Hello WhitbyAmmonite and I'm sorry we were unable to help on this occasion.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback