Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Tiny, noisy, feels totally exposed as its basically a go kart with a roof.

My new old car and I are not getting along very well as it just isn't feeling like *my* car, but then whatever I drove after the Fiesta wasn't going to be something I liked.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Tiny, noisy, feels totally exposed as its basically a go kart with a roof.

A go kart with a roof isn't always a bad thing - it all depends on the power to weight ratio as far as I'm concerned... ;)
    My new old car and I are not getting along very well as it just isn't feeling like *my* car, but then whatever I drove after the Fiesta wasn't going to be something I liked.

IIRC, a KA is just a Fiesta with a new body shell. What made the Fiesta so good for you?

And if I don't "see" you, and in lieu of a card - Merry Christmas.

Elegant%20Christmas%20Tree%20Large.jpg
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The Fiesta was significantly newer (09 plate vs the KA which is a Y), so more modern convieniences, felt better constructed, bigger - was a total pain even getting my small suitcase in the boot of the KA which pretty much rules out doing diving anytime soon as the kit won't fit! Ahh yes and even with the fans off and heater turned to cold I was being nicely warmed up the entire trip north - possibly a lack of insulation between the engine and cabin?

I suspect alot of it is that I didnt want to get rid of the Fiesta, I was happy driving it, knew its shape and blind spots etc and this is a change forced on me at the same time as rather alot of other changes and I just don't like it.

Yes I am throwing a mini strop over a fairly small thing in the great scheme.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    The Fiesta was significantly newer (09 plate vs the KA which is a Y), so more modern convieniences,

Doesn't neccesarily follow - car I got rid of in 1997 (and it was old then) had cruise control, never had it since.
    felt better constructed, bigger - was a total pain even getting my small suitcase in the boot of the KA which pretty much rules out doing diving anytime soon as the kit won't fit!

Back seat. I too am plagued by a small car - though I think mine's just a relative thing.
    Ahh yes and even with the fans off and heater turned to cold I was being nicely warmed up the entire trip north - possibly a lack of insulation between the engine and cabin?

Touch the bolts where the seatbelts attach. If they're warm, the heat from the engine is going through the metal of the chassis (I had that in a previous car. It was only a 1.3L but would tolerate being absolutely caned up motorways - so I did... :whistle: ). It's also possible that your heater is slightly malfunctioning and allowing a trickle of hot air in.

It's unlikely the bulkhead itself is solely to blame. The console should insulate you from the worst of that.
    I suspect alot of it is that I didnt want to get rid of the Fiesta, I was happy driving it, knew its shape and blind spots etc and this is a change forced on me at the same time as rather alot of other changes and I just don't like it.

:grouphug:
    Yes I am throwing a mini strop over a fairly small thing in the great scheme.

It may be small, but it is obviously important to you. And it's not like you throw a strop over absolutely *everything* like some people I've known do.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you had a great Christmas.

We had an unusual day for us, as after visiting my Nana in her home we went to the pub for a couple of hours before heading back to Mums house where she had most of dinner on timers (and what wasnt on a timer was going in the microwave). We were all home and in bed by 10pm though as Mum and step Dad flew to Tenerife this morning, so at 0530 I was trying to tetris their bags in to the KA. The bright side is that even with three adults and two suitcases it was still pretty quick and didn't struggle with the nice long slopes on the M62, small check in its favor I suppose, although it wasn't a comfortable journey for my Step Dad as he's quite tall.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Had planned to spend today in Mum's garage sorting out the boxes of stuff in there - things like my kitchen equipment, which I want to bring in, wash and repack as I've been rummaging in the various boxes since I moved home and am sure that I can repack the stuff in to fewer boxes and probably find more stuff I can safely throw out.

Unfortunately my sister is hosting her annual Christmas evening for her school friends so it's impossible to get in to the kitchen to sort stuff out.

So instead I'm in my room running perk on the tablet towards the next £10 paypal from them (takes a couple of months running the tv app).

SBTV towards my next £100 paypal there.

And working through some of the 600+ emails I've not looked at since mid November thanks to sporadic internet access. Am hoping that I can boost some of my survey site earnings to nearer payout levels.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Hope you had a great Christmas.

Hope you did too. Did you enjoy it? Are you seeing friends/more family later on?
    We had an unusual day for us, as after visiting my Nana in her home we went to the pub for a couple of hours before heading back to Mums house where she had most of dinner on timers (and what wasnt on a timer was going in the microwave). We were all home and in bed by 10pm though as Mum and step Dad flew to Tenerife this morning, so at 0530 I was trying to tetris their bags in to the KA.

Wow - that's early... :eek:
    The bright side is that even with three adults and two suitcases it was still pretty quick and didn't struggle with the nice long slopes on the M62, small check in its favor I suppose,

So when you spank it around the country it'll keep up with you... ;)
    although it wasn't a comfortable journey for my Step Dad as he's quite tall.

Yes, but you don't strike me as a leggy stocking-and-suspenders model type of person, so if it's big enough for you, it's big enough for you.

Unless you're decrying the lack of room on the back seat... ;)
    Had planned to spend today in Mum's garage sorting out the boxes of stuff in there - things like my kitchen equipment, which I want to bring in, wash and repack as I've been rummaging in the various boxes since I moved home and am sure that I can repack the stuff in to fewer boxes and probably find more stuff I can safely throw out.

Unfortunately my sister is hosting her annual Christmas evening for her school friends so it's impossible to get in to the kitchen to sort stuff out.

When are you going back? Do you have enough time?
    So instead I'm in my room running perk on the tablet towards the next £10 paypal from them (takes a couple of months running the tv app).

SBTV towards my next £100 paypal there.

And working through some of the 600+ emails I've not looked at since mid November thanks to sporadic internet access. Am hoping that I can boost some of my survey site earnings to nearer payout levels.

Well here's hoping. Do you have a DFD?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Not really the plan from now until I go back is packing and sorting.

We've hired a van next weekend so head back probably Saturday morning which leaves me plenty of time to sort/pack/clean the majority of things if I knuckle down.

Nope I'm generally known as short-!!!! at home, although my sister is shorter shes looks longer as she's much slimmer (naturally slim build while I have my Mum's broad shoulders and hips and the curves which come with those.

Back seats are never comfortable unless its a campervan surely?

I had one, once. I need to rework it when I know exactly what the new budget is once I know my living costs in the new house.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    We've hired a van next weekend so head back probably Saturday morning which leaves me plenty of time to sort/pack/clean the majority of things if I knuckle down.

Have you managed to rope in any help?
    Nope I'm generally known as short-!!!! at home, although my sister is shorter shes looks longer as she's much slimmer (naturally slim build while I have my Mum's broad shoulders and hips and the curves which come with those.

Well there you go - KA should be ideal. I always found very small car a bit confining. Smart cars are just canned people...
    Back seats are never comfortable unless its a campervan surely?

Below a certain size they're bad - but sometimes all you need is imagination... ;)
    I had one, once. I need to rework it when I know exactly what the new budget is once I know my living costs in the new house.

Working it out will give you a bit of motivation. Any plans for "after"?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The plan is that my Dad will drive the hire van down, with the big stuff and my step dad will follow in his smaller van with anything which doesnt fit (although I suspect pretty much everything should fit), but I do think it'll take two strong people to get the stuff upstairs because of the spiral staircase meaning it won't be as simple as just carrying bigger stuff up.

That said I think the mattress is going to be the biggest problem item since the bed frame will be in pieces and I've decided not to wrestle with dismantling the Ikea chest of drawers I bought when I moved home and just buy new ones to build in place - the debate at the moment is if I should ask my step dad to go to Ikea with me so I can get them before I go or order for delivery - no point me going for them myself as they wouldn't fit in the Fiesta, so absolutely no chance in the KA!

I'm not imaginative, I like to be comfortable. :p

Plans for after? You mean there's an after?!? No I think I'll worry about after when I know when after should start.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills