Beat Budget Airline Charges Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• algarinejo
    Options
    Hi

Can someone clear somethinup. The last time I flew with easyjet the hand baggage allowance was unlimited as long as you could lift and safely store in the overhead locker, according to the article it states easyjet only allows 10 KG. Has this changed? I live in Spain and travel regularly to teh UK either to Liverpool or Manchester. My nearest airport is Granada which Ryanair serves via Liverpool. It is always cheaper to fly from Malaga via easyjet or Ryanair for some bizarre reason, I would have thought landing fees at Malaga are more expensive. Also I have a debit card with Caja Rural de Granada which happens to also be an electron card and I never have to pay the card fees. Even if I booked from the UK(which i never do) it would be cheaper to take the currency hit and pay with this card.
    Just as a point of interest I nearly always fly with easyjet, one they are much more polite and two in my opinion the airbus is a far better plane than the 737.
    :beer:
  • marcusatuni
    Options
    Question (from someone who's never checked-in online before): if you check in online and have only hand luggage, who is going to weigh your hand luggage? Am I right in thinking you go straight to security with your self-printed boarding card, so effectively have freedom with you hand luggage? I've never seen airline staff weighing bags at the gate!
  • janh_2
    janh_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2009 at 10:16AM
    Options
    algarinejo wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone clear somethinup. The last time I flew with easyjet the hand baggage allowance was unlimited as long as you could lift and safely store in the overhead locker, according to the article it states easyjet only allows 10 KG. Has this changed? I live in Spain and travel regularly to teh UK either to Liverpool or Manchester. My nearest airport is Granada which Ryanair serves via Liverpool. It is always cheaper to fly from Malaga via easyjet or Ryanair for some bizarre reason, I would have thought landing fees at Malaga are more expensive. Also I have a debit card with Caja Rural de Granada which happens to also be an electron card and I never have to pay the card fees. Even if I booked from the UK(which i never do) it would be cheaper to take the currency hit and pay with this card.
    Just as a point of interest I nearly always fly with easyjet, one they are much more polite and two in my opinion the airbus is a far better plane than the 737.

I noticed that too - just looked it up on their website & it says:

Hand baggage – no weight limit

easyJet has no weight restriction on hand baggage, the only stipulation is that you must be able to lift your bag safely into the overhead lockers without assistance, so the weight must be within reason.

In order to comply with safety regulations of the UK Civil Aviation Authority, and to reflect the limited space in the overhead storage bins, there is a size limit, which means that your bag must not be bigger than 55x40x20 cm. Visit our carrier’s regulations for full details on our baggage policy.

That was here:

http://www.easyjet.com/B2B/EN/Onboard/handbaggage.html

(but I found it using a google search, not on their live website, but I will look again...)

Found it! Go to Help - Carrier's Regulations - Baggage
  • iceman_2
    iceman_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    algarinejo wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone clear somethinup. The last time I flew with easyjet the hand baggage allowance was unlimited as long as you could lift and safely store in the overhead locker, according to the article it states easyjet only allows 10 KG. Has this changed?
    http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

Yeah the article is wrong, hand baggage has a size limit but no weight limit (except that you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker).
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Question (from someone who's never checked-in online before): if you check in online and have only hand luggage, who is going to weigh your hand luggage? Am I right in thinking you go straight to security with your self-printed boarding card, so effectively have freedom with you hand luggage? I've never seen airline staff weighing bags at the gate!

No, it gets weighed before you go through security at Stansted and Treviso.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • terry227
    Options
    thefenman wrote: »
    But it's not security you are trying to beat - and don't you end up with 2 bags, strictly forbidden by Ryanair?

Well put it this way...I've arrive at Stansted with 19kg of hand baggage, put 9 of it in my pockets and the 2nd (lightweight) bag in the 1st bag, get through security (of course I hve to take my coat off to be scanned...but it's NOT hand luggage), once thought security, take bag 2 from bag 1, empty my pockets into it, added my coat, and travel that way through to my destination no problem. I do this 4 - 6 times a month. If at some airports, the Ryanair Staff check hand baggage at the gate...just put your coat back on...but in 6 years, I've never been questioned.

I walk from the aircraft at my destination with 2 bags!
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    This is EXCELLENT news! So Glad Martin is doing a campaign on this, as I put this very issue down in Martin's thread of "points to put to MP's in less than 50 words" - and it has now been picked up on.

I wrote that because I was furious at having had easyjet basically nick £32 off me for suitcases that I hadn't wanted - they got added automatically, and as I was booking in a hurry before leaving for work one morning, I didn't spot the offending charge until it was too late. There is then NO WAY to remove these charges without it costing as much as the value of the whole flight!

Clearly there should be a way to change one's mind about these, as there are for other internet transactions - especially as they are so carefully hidden and easy to miss.

Another point I've not spotted here - unless I missed it? - but which is equally important - is the need to remove the added travel insurance which easyjet AUTOMATICALLY adds on - again, unless you spot this, there's no way to remove it later once you've put the transaction through.

They're even sneakier with this than with the suitcases, as when you click to remove the insurance, it actually puts in an extra layer of hassle to remove it - it comes up with a box asking you if you really do want to remove it, and aotomatically defaults the box to NOT removing it! So even if you think you've removed the insurance, unless you look very closely you may find that actually, you haven't and are still being charged for it!

This is clearly a disgraceful attempt to mislead consumers and trick them into paying for a product they don't want and that they could get much cheaper elsewhere. :mad:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    carolt wrote: »
    when you click to remove the insurance, it actually puts in an extra layer of hassle to remove it - it comes up with a box asking you if you really do want to remove it, and aotomatically defaults the box to NOT removing it!

Yes very annoying.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Ian_Richardson_2
    Options
    How long before they decide on the ludicrus idea of charging to use the toilet as recently muted! They are lucky you cant open a window!!!!

I fly Ryanair a couple of times a year into Dublin, yes its is always a bit of a lottery on the total price but we normally have all in return for 2 at around £40, if costs that for one to take the train to London from Norwich on a standard fare so it puts things into a bit of perspective I guess.
  • OllyB
    OllyB Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got tripped up by easyJet when pre-booking a skiing holiday earlier this year, some lessons learnt....

EasyJet on their online booking form will book at extra charge to you one suitcase per passenger by default, however as both I and carolt found, once the flight is booked you cannot easily get the money refunded [I took them to the small claims court for this, and they paid up before the case was heard, inc the filing fee, may be worth investigating carolt]

In Feb '09 at least, they weren't charging to amend baggage details on the on-line booking form however, up to 2 hours before the outbound flight leaves.

So, the tip is when pre-booking on-line, don't pre-book any baggage at all (but remember to budget for it!).

When you've packed and just about to go to the airport, (remembering the 2 hours deadline!), amend the booking to prebook just the suitcases that you wish to take with you.

The other tip is large items of sports equipment (skis, snow/surfboards etc) GET BOOKED IN A DIFFERENT SECTION TO HOLD BAGGAGE AT A HIGHER CHARGE!!!. The list of items in this category is on a drop down list in a different section to hold baggage (which comes first), so not easy to spot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure