We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saturday had me so excited.
    I practically skipped myself an my granny trolley packed with lunch, tools and seeds down one hill and up the other side to get to the allotment(DH wasnt feeling generous enough to give me a lift) at 8am.

Took two, yes TWO steps onto the plot and rolled my ankle over and back on itself (so I put all my weight on the bridge whilst going sideways! It must have looked awful too as when I limped myself over to my chair, one of the old boys was doing his level best to run along the path to check I was alright.
    I spent 20 mins resting it, refusing to take my shoe off for it to swell and then it felt painful but manageable, Mum called round with some pain meds and I lasted up there till 5:30 when I walked myself 3 miles back home.

Through saturday night into sunday it woke me up in discomfort and sunday morning I could barely walk. DH was going on at me to get it checked (despite me knowing it was just "hurt") so trotted off to a&e instead of the plot.
    Cant fault that process apart from a 55 min wait in awaiting room by myself at minor injuries after xray to be told it was "soft tissue damage and ligament strain".
    Pain meds for 5 days, rest, ice, elevation and all that jazz. Then the NP remarked I was rather young looking given his knowledge of allotmenteers all being 'old boys'. Then said the one thing I was dreading 'no allotmenting for 5 days whilst you're on meds, Dr's orders!'

Nooooooooooooo!

I'm up this morning and only feeling a twinge if I attempt to twist it or point my toes too far.

But, on a positive note, I did get my onions in! HURRAH!

I plan on placating myself by a trip to the garden centre for compost and possibly some herb plants/seeds to make my herb garden at the plot :)

Hope everyone is having a top BH weekend
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poor you CAFCGirl but massive respect on powering through! Hope it feels better as the day goes on.

No gardening plans for me today (as we're off on holiday :) ) except to pot on 3 plants. So pleased with the work I did yesterday! The greenhouse looks great, the cucumbers look fine after their 1st night out :j My dwarf french beans are germinating, and looking forward to getting back and seeing the cucumbers, squash & courgettes I've plants coming to life :j

I can't work out if it's tragic or fantastic that I think I'm going to miss my garden & plot while away for 8 days?! :rotfl:

May the daytime sun & nighttime rain be with you all over the next week :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'll swap your moles in the garden for the rats that appear to have moved in under the shed. :( If nothing else, molehill mounds make great soil for pots. And moles definitely aerate the soil and keep it free draining, plus there's no chance of the !!!!!!s coming into the house and spreading disease or costing me £120 at the vets for inflicting bite wounds on the cat.

I'll have to establish for certain it's rats rather than mice tomorrow, as it was only a glimpse at it pelted back under there as the cat launched himself at it. But I'm pretty certain it was a pale tail. :( I hate the idea of poisoning anything, especially if the cat finds it before me, but I don't think principles count much where Weil's Disease or bites are concerned. My incredibly scientific method will be pointing the hosepipe directly into the gap under the shed from a distance and seeing if I can flush anything out. Or drown it. And then stumping up about seventy quid for the bloke from the council to turn up.
    Not sure about trying to flush them out. They are excellent swimmers and many of their chosen nests are located in river-banks and sidings.

We had rats in our old straw thatch in 2009, which was a very wet winter. We obtained rat boxes (essential to conceal the bait from the pets) and bought the green blocks of (apparently) chocolate-tasting poison, combined with another bait method for concealed areas where the pets don't go. We managed to get rid of them and DS (who was small enough and lithe enough to get up in the loft) broke up the nest in the loft with his hockey stick, to make sure we had got rid of all of them. Our Council did away with the rodent officer here, but when I lived in SW London with a railway at the bottom of the garden, the local chap was always busy when the railway maintenance took place as they used to come back up the old runs because of the disturbance.

On the gardening front our onions are growing well, with 5/6 shallots for every one planted and potatoes all surviving the frosts last week. There are masses of plums - hope they survive the "June falls", and everything in seed trays is sprouting in the greenhouse. Very impressed with the dwarf French Bean "speedy"! I just wish the melons and cucumbers would show signs of life.

Just three things to pot on today and then I need to get my nursery beds weeded and the new border tidied up, ooh and a dump-run, ooh and some nettle-eradication if it does not rain again. I am not planning the much-needed compost heaps dive-lift-shift.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. I really must try and get things done today. The tomato plants are looking really healthy now. No luck with the cucumbers. Think I will try planting one last batch.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the problems CAFCGirl and Jojo - we should form a club! I'm still in a knee strap and can't walk and I also have a rat problem.
    The only thing I can do is get a lift in the car to the allotment and point a lot. But it's early on in the year so as long as you can sow and pot up - you can always plant out later CAFCGirl.
    One year when the household was poorly I did most of the planting out in late June. Amazingly I got quite a lot of produce. So time to do the planning.
    Rats are horrible - they are always around here as I live on a riverbank where there are nests. But at the mo one seems to have taken up residence by the compost bins - I'm afraid I have used bait in the bait boxes you can by. Usually they take it back to there nests and die there. I also try to be extra vigilant and search around for any dead ones as the cats or chickens would go for them but I've never found a dead one.
    Let's hope for better news. Have a good day everyone.
  • LoveKnittingSocks
    Options
    The sun is finally out here but its still quite chilly. I've had quite a productive weekend for a change - my mini greenhouse is finally the right way up weighed down by three large(ish) rocks and my two tomato plants plus greenhouse made it through the night....yay!! Runner beans have been planted in an old recycling tub and a bamboo wigwam put in place so as not to disturb the roots later on (I've been reading up!).

Leeks have been sown in a planting tray and more mixed salad leaves in pots on the kitchen window. My four little brussels sprouts seedlings are still hanging in there and have four little leaves now. Still no sign of the carrots or second lot of beetroot germinating but hopefully a little sunshine today will help them along. The only thing left to do today is to put up some netting for my peas - DH will help me (but he doesn't know yet!).
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Panic over, I think.

The Idiot Cat is looking rather pleased with himself and there is a exceptionally large (well fed) but very dead Wood Mouse on the floor of the downstairs bathroom after he wandered out for a brief cat toilet break.

He's only ever got babies before now, no bigger than my thumb but this must have been a relatively smart one, going by how big it was. I didn't think his teeth were up to it - he's so useless generally, he's chipped the points off all of them by repeatedly smacking his face into the windows when attempting to jump up - and last year's baby mice were all squished and gummed, rather than bitten to death. But he's managed the proper bite to the back of the neck, so I don't think it suffered much, either.

Meh, mice I'm not too worried about. And whilst I get mice, rats are still far less likely. I'll still backfill the gap under the shed - it'll make it easier for him to pick them off before they can get under there again.

It's rained a fair old bit today and the sun has come out, so everything looks like it's about to explode into life with a couple of warmer days.

Himself will be sowing his sunflowers today or tomorrow. I suspect he'll get rather carried away with this, as he's never had an entire garden to indulge himself with before. And I did mention the year I accidentally dropped some and ended up with a lawn that turned into a sunflower field - he definitely liked that idea...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening everyone! Sounds like some of you have really been in the wars! :eek: Hope you guys are resting up :)

I binned off the seedlings that my OH left out in the cold last month (they looked awful!) and took a bit of a punt on sowing a load more right before going away for a week... Got back yesterday and it seems to have paid off :D

French beans are looking fab, tomatoes (Roma and Ildi) are lovely and strong (not at all leggy like they always seem to be! :eek:), and even the sweet peppers have just germinated - they never seem to for me!

Outside in my new raised beds, my sprouting broccoli, beetroots, spinach and mixed lettuce leaves all have the babiest little sprouts coming up :D Absolutely chuffed, goes to show how well things do when they're not interfered with by human or by puppy :rotfl: They've all done brilliantly with just one good watering mid-week thanks to my sister, too! :D

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May 2017 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Rats, - I really dislike them but when you have chickens it's not long before the rats appear. I like to keep them well fed with Jaguar bait. Rats are very inquisitive and an old farmer told me to put bait inside pieces of drainpipe that are about 3'long It's cheaper than rat boxes and the chickens, cats, birds and my JRT can't get to it. I find it very effective. I regularly test to see if they are there by leaving a bowl of layers pellets near the pipes overnight. If the pellets have been eaten I increase the number of rat blocks. I always wear disposable (surgical) gloves when dealing with them - just in case. Like Fruittea I have never seen a dead one.

Wet day today but I managed to weed off the last bed in the tunnel and add more muck to it. Dug up a few more early potatoes, the crop isn't huge but very welcome and the space left behind is to be used for mangetout.

The overwintering garlic has kicked into life and is looking promising, so do the Autumn sown onions. I've still got a few more outdoor beds to deal with and loads of tidying up but I'm cautiously optimistic about this years growing.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Bunged the topsoil in the gaps around the shed. If nowt else, it should show exactly where they're coming out, although the racket the rampaging Idiot Cat has just made out there suggests that we're going to find out quite shortly.

Anybody know whether a Foxglove will survive and flower after a cat's just hurled himself through it and snapped the top off?

Topped up the nearest veggie bed as well, along with checking on the nice, fat little salad things.

My indoor sown courgettes haven't survived under glass, but there is a sign of another one sown directly into the same pot growing more strongly and slowly.

The chard is thickening up, too. I really must transplant some of it now, as there's never going to be enough room for it all in the pots. I think I'll shove it in the bed that has raspberries in it. They should grow even though the raspberries are beginning to collapse under their own weight despite tying in. I'm not going to chop them back as they're already in bud.

And Broad beans are popping up all over the place.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family