Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    So, I'm posting late again... :rotfl: Realise I need to respond to everyone and will try to tomorrow but it is getting a little late tonight and I'm heading to bed soon.

You don't have to respond to every post made you know, it's not school :p
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Yesterday she said she's proud of me for recognising the teaching wasn't working and acting accordingly. I was expecting her to berate me for not carrying on with it. In a strange way what happened last year / start of this has been the best thing to happen to our marriage even though at the time I thought it was over. .

Adversity can result in stronger foundations :) I'd imagine also that you [both] didn't have to go to your parents for help, so that was a plus point in that that pointed towards your independence and non-reliance on them.

Happy future advent.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Certainly no need to respond to me Alex. I only wanted to show that you aren't the only person that teaching could "damage" & that you stopping was to miniK's benefit, which you were beginning to see yourself. Good luck with your new ventures. Are you planning on continuing your music lessons?
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So glad the elf popped in and put up the decorations. That was so helpful of elf ....
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well, this week has flown by quickly and has confirmed I made the right decision (got to happen at some point in my life :rotfl:). Not bought too much this week and have scheduled a date with Mrs. K. to get some Christmas gifts for our son. More organised than usual this year. Have been thinking a lot about what happened last year which isn't helpful.

Advent targets went awry; completed the ones from last week but never made any others.

Not doing so well on the moneysaving front, hope to start afresh with this in 2018 though. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So pleased to hear you are doing well on the health front.

You sound so "upbeat" and that is lovely to hear.

Sometimes we need to take a step back on the financial front and make plans for the future.

Looking forward to hearing your goals for next year and I will be here to cheer you on.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad things are ok for you Alex, here's to great new plans fo next year :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you NG and kelpie. :)

I'm doing OK and going to bed at a reasonable time, so think I should try to find time in the morning to catch up on here as I would like to keep the diary going (or may start a new one) and catch up with others too. Managed to have an AF week which has helped.

Really pleased to have secured the job I have and a lot on the work front to look forward to in the coming year (my business and employed work). :) So far as the monthly income is concerned, that's looking much better than in a very long time. However, I don't want us to waste that opportunity.

Advent targets:
    Monday 11th - sort diary to new year.
    Tuesday 12th - take my father out to lunch (I'm taking him for a hospital appointment in the morning).
    Wednesday 13th - set up January records for finances.
    Thursday 14th - Loose ends tied up ready for a three day weekend and work to do list ready for Monday.
    Friday 15th - day out with Mrs K and a long weekend as we are not working. :) Hardly ever spend any time together as a couple. Really looking forward to it. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Managed to achieve my advent targets from last week and had a great weekend. :)

I think I am going to stop posting in this diary at the end of the year. Things are looking more positive than they ever have done during my adult life (not just financially). However, I want to start a new diary because this one has been ongoing for a while and also I don't want to waste my finances - posting on here does keep me (more or less) on track. :)

I don't have any financial targets until the end of the year apart from any money received over Christmas to kick-start 2018 savings.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please keep us informed of your new thread as I enjoy seeing how you are getting on.

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Starting a new diary due to progress is really positive. It sounds like you are in a different place in so many ways compared to when you started your diary.

Will keep an eye out for your new diary.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure