how do you live off student loans if it all goes on rent

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My university has crisis loans for the short term and hardship assistance for longer term. Both of these have to be paid back. For hardship assistance all other means of finance have to be exhausted, so overdrafts have to be maxed as well as credit card etc. They will require proof of this too.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Actually supports my contention...when a third of graduates are receiving no financial benefit you'd better make sure you're at least in that top two-thirds of them who are. I imagine the % of students receiving no financial benefit from Teeside is much higher than it is from Oxbridge.

I wasn't trying to contradict it, and agree 100%. The university you go to means everything, and they should stop downvaluing the degree by having so many "universities". Bring back apprenticeships and polytechnics!
    Incorrect, that last bit should read EXCEPT Oxbridge. Oxbridge has an interview procedure for exactly that reason, everyone who applies has 3 As at A-level at least. Nearly all other top unis have no such system and so rely on grades as well as personal statements and references (both of which, IMO, are shocking things to consider). Since everyone has top marks grades are virtually irrelevant when it comes to an Oxbridge application (so long as you got top...).

I think you mis-understood me. Oxbridge shouldn't have to filter out so many mediocre A grade students. Only the BEST A Level candidates should be getting A grades. It's very frustrating for teachers, and although they are delighted when half their class gets a grade A, it's just not fair on the very bright kids who now have no way to stand out from the rest.

Well...there aren't many graduate programs that don't require a degree, so you'll need to go somewhere (rightly or wrongly). And universities know as well as anyone 3 As from a sink school is a greater accomplishment than getting them from a top public school. Most unis nowadays actually turn results into a points-based system which ranks you against the rest of your year from your school. So somebody with 8A* and 3A at GCSE from a high flying school can come up worse than somebody with 10 Bs at a school where half don't even pass 5 GCSEs.

I got my 9 x A grades (some of those were A*) at GCSE from a rubbish state school with a below average pass rate, and got 4 very good A Levels (in "proper" subjects), but was always surprised that both my university and my sponsor company mistook my school name for being that of a private one! I often wondered if it had the word "comprehensive" after it, I wouldn't have even got the interview!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • durhampoker99
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to contradict it, and agree 100%. The university you go to means everything, and they should stop downvaluing the degree by having so many "universities". Bring back apprenticeships and polytechnics!

I think you mis-understood me. Oxbridge shouldn't have to filter out so many mediocre A grade students. Only the BEST A Level candidates should be getting A grades. It's very frustrating for teachers, and although they are delighted when half their class gets a grade A, it's just not fair on the very bright kids who now have no way to stand out from the rest.

I got my 9 x A grades (some of those were A*) at GCSE from a rubbish state school with a below average pass rate, and got 4 very good A Levels (in "proper" subjects), but was always surprised that both my university and my sponsor company mistook my school name for being that of a private one! I often wondered if it had the word "comprehensive" after it, I wouldn't have even got the interview!

The best post I've had in response to anything I've said on this thread.

Back on topic somewhat...and speaking for Oxford-specific stuff. We have the bursary system that everyone is automatically entitled to if they receive maintenance grants and allow their income details to be shared with the university (normally a little box to be ticket somewhere on the SLC forms).

In addition to this there is a "Hardship" fund provided by the university. For this you need to show a few bank statements etc, you have a good shot if you're in a college with expensive accommodation (uni considers this an unavoidable charge - I suppose it is). Anyone is eligible for this. General rule of thumb at our uni is that if you are just living off loans etc you'll receive a decent wedge from this.

Then all colleges provide more emergency money...sometimes in the form of a loan but often non-refundable. In addition at my college at least they can be very lenient with when you pay your accommodation fees (I still have my fees outstanding from the beginning of summer, no hostility in terms of wanting payment).

On top of this there are a number of travel grants which you basically have to apply for to get and are only contingent on you writing some sort of report on your trip for when you return (never more than 1,000 words) . They say it has to have some relation to your course of study...although you'd be amazed what qualifies!

Anyway...this is only from my experience and travel grants etc are fairly Oxbridge-specific.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure