PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a lovely break Weezl and relax.
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Woo hoo Im back lol

First things first... Has anyone seen the electric jam pan thingy in lakeland?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-electric-jam-maker/F/keyword/jam+pan/product/12613

only I have just seen them in the supermarket here on sale at €50 / £40 when they are £79.99 in lakeland :eek: .... Im sooooo tempted to get my mum one for a combined birthday/xmas pressy -she always made the best jam -but she has no need for big volumes anymore... as she will only give it away, which is lovely -but not saving her money... hmm what do folks think? Mind she wouldn't be able to have it until we go back to visit hmmmmm

Yep I've got one and they are great.They do 1kg of fruit at a time and you can make jellies with them and dont have the hassle of the dripping bag or bowl which my kids always tip over:mad: For Forty quid its got to be a bargain and I'm sure you mum will love it

Lesleyxx
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Ahhhh, couldn't resist posting on the nice new shiny thread!!

Not much to say except we are having left over chicken from the roast in a stir fry tonight and that my OH is in love with the bread making machine and has taken over the daily loaf making!! He wants to get all exotic on me next and try a sweet one.. rofll.gif

I hope everyone is having a great day. We might be having a friend to stay for a few weeks while she is in between houses (she is moving). It will be a challenge that is for sure!

Hugs to everyone

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Jammie_Dodger_2
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Wonder if anyone could help me decypher a scribbled fudge recipe. It says tin of condensed milk (but no size of tin ) then 150mls milk underneath. Does this mean milk as well as condensed milk or is 150mls the size of the tin.? Cant read my own scrawl now so hope someone can put me right. Thanks.:o
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry jammie, can't help as I've never made fudge - but i'm glad its not only me that has illegible recipes like that. It's even worse when you've made it once and it's covered with food splatter too.

got some cooked beef leftover from weekend and I'm not sure what to do with it tonight. I cooked it in the slowcooker on Sat (served with veg and yorkshires), then used some for a curry yesterday. who can give me some ideas for the third meal?

I was thinking of cottage pie - but DD6 doesn't like mash - so maybe topping it with thinly slice potatoes? or else, some kind of pasta sauce (probably including lentils, lol!)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    got some cooked beef leftover from weekend and I'm not sure what to do with it tonight. I cooked it in the slowcooker on Sat (served with veg and yorkshires), then used some for a curry yesterday. who can give me some ideas for the third meal?

I was thinking of cottage pie - but DD6 doesn't like mash - so maybe topping it with thinly slice potatoes? or else, some kind of pasta sauce (probably including lentils, lol!)

Mum used to do "Minced bake Italienne" (probably not Italian at all :p) It's basically a mince bolognaise mix (but with quite a thick tomato sauce - have done it with lentil/mince/padded veggies). Put it in a casserole dish. Then a thick white sauce poured on top and then 3 slices of white bread buttered(marged) on one side and cut into 9 squares per slice and put buttered side up onthe top of the white sauce.

Bake until the bread is golden.

The bread goes part crunchy, part soggy (where it's in the sauce). It's kind of cross between shep pie and lasagna but with no pasta ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Mum used to do "Minced bake Italienne" (probably not Italian at all :p) It's basically a mince bolognaise mix (but with quite a thick tomato sauce - have done it with lentil/mince/padded veggies). Put it in a casserole dish. Then a thick white sauce poured on top and then 3 slices of white bread buttered(marged) on one side and cut into 9 squares per slice and put buttered side up onthe top of the white sauce.

Bake until the bread is golden.

The bread goes part crunchy, part soggy (where it's in the sauce). It's kind of cross between shep pie and lasagna but with no pasta ;)

sounds nice

been trawling thru old posts and realised germish has been absent anyone seen them??

Shaz
    Shaz
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Getting worried about the budget I need to try and stick to e021.gif

I reckon that in order to keep our spending within the Benefits Agencies "permitted" level once my redundancy goes through, and after paying all our regular bills, I can't afford more than £2.50 per person per day -- and that includes all household bits (washing powder to bin bags to light bulbs) and hygiene product (loo rolls to shampoo), but doesn't leave us anything for bus fares if hubby and I want to go out (he has a disabled bus pass so would only have to pay for me), nothing for either of us to go out anywhere that needs money, nothing for his beer or any cigs, nothing for birthday or Christmas pressies, and nothing for any house or car repairs. So I really need to get it below that £2.50 figure, as even pennies a day below that will soon add up towards some of the other bits.

Just finished updating my 'accounts' for this month, and am now going to have to go over it trying to find anywhere I can trim back. The only household bits I've picked up are some dishcloths, a couple of muffin trays, a bag of 16 loo rolls, and half a dozen cheap energy efficient lightbulbs. There's no personal hygiene products in the total at all (have a small stockpile already). Also hardly any meat, as I've been using from the freezer.

At £2.50 each per day, that would give me £112.50 to the end of tonight -- and I've managed to spend just over £8660.gif

If I include the mini oven I got from Aldi, then my total goes up to just over a rather shocking £104 !!!!!
    Cheryl
  • frugalswan
    Options
    Best of luck, cw18, I'm thinking of you (((hugs))).

Newlywed, that dish sounds lovely, like a Bolognese Bread and Butter Pudding! I think I'm going to have to give that one a try - thanks for that! :D

Have a fantastic holiday Weezl and Acetate Monkey. :)
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Ravylesley

I have had a chat with mum -I knew she had hung her nose over the jam maker in lakeland when she went to look at the remoska (that she now has and is in love with lol)... When I mentioned it and the price -her voice went up an octave..so i know she is interested lol..
    So hubby is taking me back to get her one on wednesday... and we will take it her back when we next go home -and then i will bring my jam pan and thermometer back (i left them with mum to use when we moved away).....
    Its a bonus -as we will give it her as a birthday/xmas pressie -once we have finished arguing over her not having it without paying for it hehe

Well we have had liver, onions n carrots with mash, cabbage an nobby greens nomnomnom -im stuffed..
    We didn't bother doing the asian supermarket today -so i think i will get hubby to take me on wednesday on our way back from fetching mums jammy pan ......
    Feeling really happy now im getting the stock sorted for winter..hopefully soon we should be sorted -and able to cope with whatever the weather throws at us ...famous last words
    right back to my knitting... have just found a site with some lovely wool at sensible prices ...woohooo i may be gone some time lol
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport