water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• Chazza_2010
    Options
    Sooooooooo.....is it a problem if the water softener is laid on its side briefly?

How would i know if there is a problem (obviously by it not working) but any other signs that i should look for?

Hopefully i am being overdramatic ...
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sooooooooo.....is it a problem if the water softener is laid on its side briefly?

How would i know if there is a problem (obviously by it not working) but any other signs that i should look for?

Hopefully i am being overdramatic ...

Softeners should, as you know, be kept upright, but I very much doubt there will be a problem (assuming it wasn't full of salt and water!).

It depends very much on the design of the softener what might happen, but it could potentially disturb the resin or loosen some connections. Probably it won't have done either of those things, though, if it was only briefly laid down.

There's likely to be no simple way to tell if there's a problem, unfortunately, apart of course from the obvious one that it's not working correctly.
  • Chazza_2010
    Options
    Well brand new, unopened. My 4yr old moved it for me.....

I'll let you know.how fragile water softeners are in a month :eek:
  • Pooch14
    Options
    haribizzle wrote: »
    Unfortunately they were unable to provide much detail on the valve itself.

I gave them a call this morning and they did a good job reassuring me that all should be fine. fingers crossed

Are you happy with your 606? thinking of getting one myself. Any issues with customer service or faults?
  • The_Reaper
    The_Reaper Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the advantages of the bigger Monarch Master over the Midi would be?

I would be installing in a garage so space not an issue. Family of 4 in 5 bed house.
  • r4w
    r4w Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I will need some time to read all the article, but I have skimmed over the last 10 pages and you saved me from a truly rip off.
    I received a quote from Harveys HV3, with installation at over £1700.

A few quick questions (if you don't mind, before I find the time to read everything):

- I have a Ideal boiler, I have contacted technical support which quoted the boiler's manual. It seems that the combi boiler shouldn't be used with water softeners, otherwise the warranty is voided. I have asked them because I read about this here for another boiler brand, but do you have any direct experience with Ideal about this?

- Harvey's people told me that the softener can be installed externally in a cabinet. Does someone have the softener outside? If yes, which brand and what was the additional cost in the installation? I'm asking because we don't have much space under the sink for any kind of softener, however I believe we could install in the cabinet next to the dishwasher (if having it external is not really a good option)

- What is the best price you got for Monarch plumbsoft solo or monarch plumbsoft solo ultra?

Thank you in advance.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe that boilers now have to be softened water compatible. Also, for a combi the tap water line would have to be softened water compatible as you always fit a softener inline of some sort to stop the combi scaling up. It is using softened water in the heating circuit that is usually what the maker's say don't do and that was only CYA usually.

If you fit the softener outside how do you stop it from freezing? You need to install a heater as well as insulating the housing as you wouldn't get much heat through (insulated) house walls.
  • r4w
    r4w Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    If you fit the softener outside how do you stop it from freezing? You need to install a heater as well as insulating the housing as you wouldn't get much heat through (insulated) house walls.

Don't shoot the messenger :) I have been told that the cabinet should prevent the water freezing up to -18 C externally. On the how, I don't really know.

But thanks for the reply, I'm very new to this and all the feedback I can get is useful :)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    r4w wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger :) I have been told that the cabinet should prevent the water freezing up to -18 C externally. On the how, I don't really know.

But thanks for the reply, I'm very new to this and all the feedback I can get is useful :)

Insulation, presumably - and I believe these cabinets are fairly common where inside space is at a premium. I'd be very interested to know more, though, if you do decide to go ahead - because a family member is avoiding having a softener as a result of the outside cabinet required.

Temperatures down to -18C are unusual, but they do happen, even in England. Happened a few years back, for a few days, but not at all usual.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback