Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!

Options

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Both the National Lottery and The Peoples Postcode Lottery pay out around 45% in prizes on the main game so there is little difference there although PPL prizes are capped at a much lower level.

Good causes are the main loser if people buy PPL tickets instead of national lottery ones, as from £500 worth of sales the PPL give only £100 to good causes compared to £140 for the National Lottery.
  • jamesbr66
    Options
    I scubscribed to them as I was looking for an alternative to the national lottery, but cancelled after two months. When you call them, all they do is bang on about the good causes and charity and you know I don't care about that. I donate to charity from my pocket and I choose which ones, I dont want orgzanizations doing it for me and I never setup direct debits for it.

Be very wary of their instant wins section, it is a third party site based in Malta and not subject to UK regulation by the gambling commision, I wonder why?

Their match bonus is a rip off, really not worth it, the number times you have to play through and they are greedy. I was going to make a deposit and changed my mind, they actually called me on my landline trying to get me to make the deposit and offering their match bonus. No thank you! I think that is disgusting and un-ethical and that is why I will never subscribe to the Peoples Post Code lottery again.

Big thumbs down from me, and I do tell all of my friends and family to avoid like the plague. I am not a fan of Camelot and with their recent price increase, I suspect I am just going to settle for the odd scratcher now and again. No more lottery tickets for me!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    It screams scam - you register your postcode and win amazing amounts of money -lmao - I don't think so!
  • iteldoo4me
    Options
    I joined the postcode lottery but decided to cancel when realised that the odds of any win was considerably low unless you lived in ayreshire,as this is the area in which it first originated from.I spoke to customer services and they said themselves that there would be more winners in that area as it was started there,although they didn't give special attention to them,and it was a lottery.Whilst the odds may be low,I checked to see if my area in the midlands had won anything in the last 6 months,and could not find any despite being informed that there were 179 wins,so I believe its an unfair lottery,and wont be entertaining it anymore.Would be interesting to know if others have checked their own area(postcodes) and found similar as me.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    iteldoo4me wrote: »
    I joined the postcode lottery but decided to cancel when realised that the odds of any win was considerably low unless you lived in ayreshire,as this is the area in which it first originated from.I spoke to customer services and they said themselves that there would be more winners in that area as it was started there,although they didn't give special attention to them,and it was a lottery.

This doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a lottery draw, why does it matter where the scheme originated?

How can CS say there would be more winners in the area it was started in but then go on to say 'it's a lottery'?

Do they mean there are more people from Ayreshire who subscribe to the Postcode Lottery and that's why their chances of winning are higher?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Do they mean there are more people from Ayreshire who subscribe to the Postcode Lottery and that's why their chances of winning are higher?

That would be my take on it. Whilst each individual has the same odds of winning, if the distribution of individuals by area leads to concentrations then those areas will be statistically more likely to have winners.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    Going back to the original post, surely if the lottery had no means of paying your winnings, then an honest organisation would try to contact you to arrange payment.
    Je suis sabot...
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this the one where the Z CELEB says I`m in...are you?
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • problemchild1976
    Options
    Hey guys.... Have been interested in this for a while and yes, it seems strange that the OP hasn't received the winnings but they haven't confirmed if their bank details are registered.

Anyway, what people have to remember is this (and all lottery) is gambling and the odds of winning the national lottery is 14million to 1 and it's just as probable for the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to come out as 6 randomly select birthday related numbers ;)

I think the point that there are more winners in Scotland is based on the fact that if the postcode is "selected" then EVERY ticket within that postcode wins (if you have 2 tickets you get double the prize unlike the national lottery where if you buy 2 tickets the same and win the jackpot you share it between the 2 tickets)

Higher density of ticket holders shouldn't affect what postcode is selected unless they only select postcodes where tickets reside but even then there should be no weighting.

Anyway - I don't think I will subscribe but the scaremongering here is a bit wild.

JJ
  • transient
    transient Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    Hey guys.... Have been interested in this for a while and yes, it seems strange that the OP hasn't received the winnings but they haven't confirmed if their bank details are registered.

Anyway, what people have to remember is this (and all lottery) is gambling and the odds of winning the national lottery is 14million to 1 and it's just as probable for the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to come out as 6 randomly select birthday related numbers ;)

I think the point that there are more winners in Scotland is based on the fact that if the postcode is "selected" then EVERY ticket within that postcode wins (if you have 2 tickets you get double the prize unlike the national lottery where if you buy 2 tickets the same and win the jackpot you share it between the 2 tickets)

Higher density of ticket holders shouldn't affect what postcode is selected unless they only select postcodes where tickets reside but even then there should be no weighting.

Anyway - I don't think I will subscribe but the scaremongering here is a bit wild.

JJ
    Did you not understand why there are likely to be more scots winners then?

Also postcodes can only have upto 80 addresses and average 60 so wont make a difference
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback