PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    .... do I need to very very lightly oil it ?
    Just wondered if I should do this with the dish or not, logic says yes as its only really to stop them sticking.

By lightly oiling I mean I'd put a few drops onto a kitchen towel then use that to 'dust' the tray (or foil if it was conventional oven)
    It's not a requirement/standard, but I can't see that it'd hurt.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    It's cold. When it's cold it's too cold to stand in the kitchen and think about food, it's more of a sprint/dash in and out soonest.

Breakfast was two bits of toast topped with the other half a tin of sausages/beans.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Breaking news, Faggot report [I wonder what Google will make of this for U.S audiences?]

My first foray into faggots was OK and did not involve much fannying around, but I will not rush to repeat it, having survived over 7 decades without a faggot and having tried one last night I think I can easily go a few more decades faggotless:o

For me they fall into the meatball mystery meat mixture mould, so I will not bother again, same goes for meatballs, and kittie, they are no longer a "cheap" option, at least the one I bought weren't, probably the dear quality end of the market I suspect. £9.99kg, not checked but I reckon I can get a pork chop for less

PN, now I fancy tinned beans & sausages, we often had them as nipper, my mum was a very handy with the tin opener, I've liked them as a standby, must get a tin in next time I see them, but I follow karcher, not many tins have L/Os

I woke up about 5, and got fed up, thought about making bread, but instead opted for the Marie Antoinette solution, so got up and made a tea loaf. It looks yummy and once I finish this I'm off to sample it with a cuppa :)

Weather is dank and dull, staying in a and eating cake is the ideal CFO pastime on a day like today

Decided to use the LO yesterday mash & mushy peas to go with bangers. Defrosting the Heck posh bangers on the metal draining board

Due to chronic bread shortage and CBA to go out or make some, for lunch I will have a part baked baguette, bought just for such a day, with a couple of the sausages inside
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ...and I guess a question to ponder for the day is how many of us singles watch cookery programmes on the tv - and then head into the kitchen and go "CBA - where's the sausage rolls/crisps/etc/etc?" Which ones? If any?

Yep...I reckon YouTube food video-ettes count (well...they have to - as I know I watch quite a few of them....:rotfl:).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I had a great time with the girls last night and good dents were made in the soup and cheese board. There was a bit of a mix up on the pudding front with two pals each think they were in charge of co-ordinating so there was pudding overload to say the least:eek:, some have gone back with them but I have a defrosted fruit pavlova and some cream sponge lurking. The sponge was from a local bakery and was as light as a feather so I'm sure I'll manage to use that up! I'll see if my sister can find a home for the pavlova:). Not a boozy night (one bottle of wine between us) but I'm still feeling rather wabbit this morning so a quite day I think once I've put the place back to rights. I've not decided what meals today might be yet.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Another bright sunny day here, temp has more than doubled from what we had early in the week, finally managed to get a washing out on the line :j

I love faggots and have made them a couple of times, the recipe I used was a combination of one I found on t'internet and the one FrugalQueen had posted but her blog seems to have disappeared now. My first attempt I made in the food processor but I wasn't happy with the texture and found the pork belly didn't break down too well. I bought a cheap hand crank mincer and used pork shoulder instead of belly next time, I haven't made them for a while must have a look to see if I still have the recipe.

Cheesy Toast & tomato for breakfast, haven't quite decided what to have for lunch or tea yet, so best get a move on.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Caronc, you are restrained ! Dd1 and her partner arrived with the Chinese and a bottle or 2 of asti, just to taste test as it's what we drink Xmas day , I'd already put a bottle of pink prosecco in, as dd prefers a dry wine. So we drunk the pink then almost a full bottle of asti. Her partner was on cola as he was driving.
    I hope you had a good night we did, just a little teary, when they left around 9 PM to get home. And I was looking at the flowers I'd done ready to take to the cemetery on Monday, I'd taken hubby's memorial up o Friday.
    Today I'm out with 2 friends I used to work with, we are having lunch in town . So I've only had 1 slice of toast for breakfast, and probably have a sandwich this evening ,depending what we have at lunch.
    At least it's a brighter day today, that rain was the horrible drizzly but wet stuff yesterday. And so dark all day.
    Hope you all have a nice Sunday.::j
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This talk of beans+mini sausages within is making me hungry. I'm starting to wonder (as I can't stand the sauce within the bean tins unfortunately) about draining/rinsing it out and *ahem* replacing it with some quickly made hot gravy and then warming it all up that way.

I thought about 'cold' gravy ( :( ) so it all warmed together but that seems silly as a couple of minutes in the micro will have it all 'ready' regardless.

hmm, beans+gravy. I think they should make them. :D
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    morning all :)
    I had a day out at the races yesterday and my friend stayed over, we had numerous cups of tea when we got up but no actual food so I need to get cooking to make sure I get my 2000 calories in!
    lunch will be a mushroom and mozzarella omlette with some organic yoghurt for afters, I get it delivered with my veg box and it's so yummy :)

dinner will be thai veg curry, my 'other' son is a chef and cooked for me friday leaving numerous portions of thai sauce left over, some of which I've frozen
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had a fish finger butty for Sunday dinner. The kitchen's way too cold to spend more than 3-4 minutes in it! I'd need to "dress for outdoors" to be in there longer. There are about 4 months of the year when the kitchen's often too cold and/or dark to spend any time in it.

Even on Xmas Day I had to get the dinner on early/soonest, so I was done and finished before it got dark. I do treat myself to having the heating on all day on Xmas Day though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure