Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• retired2
    retired2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    The senior railcard is subsidised by Council in East Yorkshire so costs only £14 if you buy through them rather than £26 if bought at station or £23.40 if bought online - a good saving worth having.
    :j
  • gpoher1949
    Options
    O60 bus pass is free in Scotland and has unlimited use and mileage as long as u stay within scotland. Also, residents of Fife can travel on train to Edinburgh for 50p ew. Unfortunately, does not apply to edinburgh residents on the opposite direction.
  • johngt40
    johngt40 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is not exactly correct, what is happening is if your 60th birthday falls on 06-05-10 then you cannot apply for a bus pass until 06-05-10, if you 60th birthday falls on 06-05-10 then you cannot apply for a bus pass until 06-06-10 etc.
    J_&_J wrote: »
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.:mad:
  • Moliere
    Moliere Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I get discounted gym membership and free swimming. I also have my bus pass but this is useless as there are only 3 buses a week from my village.
    If you are over 65 check that the tax man has given you the correct allowance, don't assume he will note your birthday. I was incorrectly given the lower code for the last 3 years. I notified them recently and have just had a rsubstantial refund of overpaid tax.
  • make-do=and-mend_2
    Options
    I was 60 on 11th April 2010 and have to wait until 6th May 2010 for my State pension and bus pass.
  • DiscountDave_2
    Options
    Over 60 or not, ALWAYS ask for a discount, you'll be surprised how many often it works. :rotfl:
  • DiscountDave_2
    Options
    I was 60 on 11th April 2010 and have to wait until 6th May 2010 for my State pension and bus pass.

Go on to weekly payment for your pension, it's paid in advance every Monday.
  • iloveorkney
    Options
    When I turned 60 two years ago, I went to Carlisle City Council, got my bus pass and also the railcard with £4.00 off. When I renewed the railcard, got a 3 year card through railcard website and got a discount.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Options
    Go on to weekly payment for your pension, it's paid in advance every Monday.

I don't think weekly payments are available anymore... glad I opted for that before they called a halt... those who already get paid weekly will still get it weekly but the option is not available to new pensioners..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Moon_River_2
    Options
    What's all this I read about the free over 60's bus pass being "put back" and not now being available till women(and men?) are in receipt of state pension?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback