Question about Alexa

Options
I work as a family support worker and have a lady who has come to rely on Alexa due to several health issues she has which affect her memory. She currently has Alexa through a university research project but this means that when the research comes to an end she won't have Alexa anymore. I'm not technically minded at all but the lady said she has a dongle which enables her to use Alexa. She does not have internet at home and is worried that it would cost too much.

What I want to know is what the most cost effective way would be for her to continue having Alexa? Thanks!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alexa AFAIK doesn't do anything without an internet connection aside from complain that it can't get online. You may be able from what I've seen get it to talk to a Bluetooth speaker but that's probably about it.

You could always just grab the cheapest data PAYG Sim (o2 or Three), tether the Echo device or whatever to that in a mobile phone as a hotspot since it connects tirelessly and see how far you get with £10 - just top it up as and when. That's probably what the dongle does, but that needs a computer or laptop to use. However one would need to remember to top this up so it may not be the best solution in this case.

Otherwise it's a case of a traditional internet line. If your client is in receipt of certain benefits BT Basic and Broadband could be an option as that caps the entire lot at £9.95 a month:
    https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The BT Basic service limits it to 15GB a month which isn't an awful lot so it would depend on what Alexa was used for and what it does in the background. If her demands justify it and the lady can manage it then a basic ADSL broadband at £20 a month or less may be a better option.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a hard limit of 15Gb, you can use more but there will come a point where its not cost effective. Seems to be somewhere around £2.20 per GB which doesn't appear to be prorated. So, someone using 0.9GB over their allowance will be charged £2.20; whereas someone using 1.3GB will be charged £4.40.

I think it works out to if you're eligible for it and you know you will use less than 16Gb, its about the same price as a regular broadband package, the next cheapest of which seems to be the "effective £11.74" price for the Post Office on the main site.

Above that, its going to be cheaper with a normal internet package which won't have a usage cap (subject of fair use, of course). I don't know how much data Alexa does or can suck up given half a chance but presumably she uses far less than HAL 9000 :)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    surely alexa doesn;t use 15GB a month?????
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    surely alexa doesn;t use 15GB a month?????

Depends entirely on usage, according to BT:-
    15GB usage, which typically means you can:
    • browse the internet for up to half an hour a day
    • stream enough video to watch one standard definition film a month
    • Upload 100 photos to Instagram or Facebook a month
    • Listen to 100 music tracks (or ten albums) a month
    • Play online games for an hour a week

So if you're using it to play music for instance it wouldn't last that long. I know my wifes Fire tablet claims to be downloading films, TV series & music in the background (none of which she's ever used on it) so who knows what Alexa is doing in the background?
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    I use it to stream radio and blogs. I soooo agree that it would be indispensible for a disabled person whether it be sight or movement.

I can ask Alexa to turn on a light before I go into the room which is invaluable.

And yes, it is not cheap as to do that have to pay for smart bulb or smart plug. I would not be without Alexa but then I also don't have to think too much about the cost - unlimited broadband and cost of setting it up.

IMO this would be a cost benefit for setting Alexa or Google alternative up for people who have limited movement or memory problems or sight issues.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    So if you're using it to play music for instance it wouldn't last that long. I know my wifes Fire tablet claims to be downloading films, TV series & music in the background (none of which she's ever used on it) so who knows what Alexa is doing in the background?

With 15Gb of data you could play music on Alexa for at least 15 days non stop! So that's more then enough I would say.

Also and Alexa device only connects to the internet when using the wake work and issuing a command there is nothing to be done in the background when not being used it's just a smart speaker with a microphone.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why not ask the university researchers if they know how much data is used on her connection. You might be surprised how little Alexa uses. You may need to get the lady to ask, or get her permission for you to ask on her behalf.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    What is she using Alexa for? If she has a smart phone, will the Alexa app do the same things? If it does, she could try using that with her data allowance. If it's not enough, it might be cheaper to add more data than to get broadband (plus buying an Alexa enabled device, presumably).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    With 15Gb of data you could play music on Alexa for at least 15 days non stop! So that's more then enough I would say.

Also and Alexa device only connects to the internet when using the wake work and issuing a command there is nothing to be done in the background when not being used it's just a smart speaker with a microphone.

Not according to BT themselves as the link and quote above state. I'll give you that it does seem a bit pessimistic but then given the OP's statement you can't rule out that the lady wouldn't start it playing and leave it to its own devices (so to speak :) )

Does an Alexa device have a automatic sleep mode?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure