Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Options

Comments

• Hammer_Time
    Hammer_Time Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    A month after opening the account and waiting for the card (reader and PIN received), I was advised to cancel the original card as "it should've arrived by now" and a new one would be issued. I have no clue whether the original one was issued and lost in the post (doubtful, I have never had anything else go awol in the post), so it would seem more likely that it was never issued. So, going on previous experience, it is just as likely that the second request for a card will result in that not being issued either. It is not unreasonable for those of us stuck in limbo to want the equipment that is needed to operate the account properly, and as intended.

I also never received my first card, however I did receive a pin number which will only work with the first card. They said they will send me a second card still waiting.
  • gizz_mo
    gizz_mo Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/mobile-app-payments.html

"Pay someone you have never paid before up to £250 without using a card reader
    !
    There is no need to log into Anytime Internet Banking or find your card reader, simply open your mobile app and head to the Payments option on one of your accounts. You will see the option to 'Pay Someone New' at the top of the screen which you can use to send money to any UK sort code and account number.
    !
    Important Information
    You must be aged over 16 and have available funds to send from your account (including any overdraft facility)
    There is a maximum limit of £250 payments per working day which is seperate from daily withdrawal and Get Cash limits. You can make up to 5 payments per working day."

I tried the app and managed to w/d few £100s... but it said it wouldn't save the payee, and didn't offer me the option in a confirmation.

Thanks MattyW. :thumb:

On my app on Android there was a slider on the confirmation page labelled Save Payee. I selected it and the payee was saved. When I then logged into the internet site the payee was there so it saved fine. It's still there.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    gizz_mo wrote: »
    On my app on Android there was a slider on the confirmation page labelled Save Payee. I selected it and the payee was saved. When I then logged into the internet site the payee was there so it saved fine. It's still there.

I didn't get a confirmation page on a windows phone IIRC.
    Have you activated a card/reader?

PS Having managed to w/d c.£150, they blocked a 2nd attempt to make a w/d as it would exceed the daily £250 limit (which I wasn't sure at the time was per payee, per transaction or daily).
    And to add insult, they blocked third small w/d attempt to the same payee for 'unusual pattern of activity'. Jeez.
  • BlisteringBarnacles
    Options
    just to provide an update ..

Exactly 1 month after applying to open the account, I finally got the email on Friday 28 Jul titled "Here is your customer number". Apparently I will be sent an activation code separately (dont know whether that will arrive by email or SMS or postal mail). Let us see how long that takes.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Great, but I bet if I transfer my money, they'll drop the rate, just like West Brom BS have!
    colsten wrote: »
    Just don't do it then. Thanks ;-)

A sound advice from Colsten.
    It is a game in which you have a great control.
    They drop it to the level it is no longer competitive, you leave as simple as that. Apart from little time invested, it costs you nothin

It is similar quite similar to Regular Saver recycling game; After the promotional rate drops you close the account and reopen it at the same bank or anywhere else. Many people, perhaps "roddydogs" included have been doing that.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your a bit late have you not seen my subsequent posts wake up !
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 July 2017 at 12:01PM
    Options
    PauloF1 wrote: »
    Actually eskbanker, the more I think about it, the more it is too much to ask; here are the reasons why: -

1. I'd intended to do it all in one go, so registered for online banking as part of the application process but then couldn't get in to it, at all, even though the acceptance process said I was registered & should have been able to. This appears to have occurred a lot, to many customers.

2. I then quickly got an email saying I'd be sent details, so I left it. This never happened, so I ended up re-registering for internet Anytime Banking sometime later, at that point I'd forgotten all about the card reader, so my fault, but hardly a convenient slick process!

3. It's a savings account, so I once i checked I could pay money in I left it, it's not a current account, I don't use it frequently. Like several people on here & on social media I have been given conflicting information about pretty much everything, by phone, reading T&Cs, FAQs etc.

4. The first time I called to see what was going on they helped out, made sure the reader was on order (it wasn't but that's another story), made a substantial transfer by phone banking, so no major problems. It's only now that they seem to be unwilling to transfer money again that it becomes a major issue for me.

5. The MAIN reason is this however; If you can't manage or use the account at all in any reasonable shape or form without the reader & card, do what the Co-Op & other banks do, don't make it an option, it's not optional is it, it's bloody mandatory!!! Who at some point is not going to want their own money!!! So send the bloody thing out when people register for internet banking.

It borders on the sharp practice to me, it's certainly not very fair, or otherwise they would not be the raft of complaints, essentially they are saying: -

- Need to use your account... register for Anytime Banking
    - Didn't order a card reader... well you've cocked up there then sir/madam
    - Need to get to your money... oh you can't... well that's also your fault then isn't it!

Budget airlines used to have online practices like this, they were designed to confuse, they are now banned.

Thank you for warning and advise. But I decide applying the account regardless. Unless you need urgently, just put £1 before the card reader arrive, you have very little to loose.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some of my timelines which might help those wondering when certain items will arrive.

7 July
    - Opened account on line.

9 July
    - Received welcome letter (online) with account details. It may have been there earlier but I only noticed today when I logged on.
    - Noticed request for copy of signature. Printed letter, completed and posted to them.
    - Noticed requirement to order Card-Reader device. Did so online.

28 July
    - Anytime Banking Card arrived in mail.

31 July
    - Letter/PIN arrived (one envelope).
    - Card Reader arrived (separate package).

So - 24 days from opening account to having all items required to fully operate the account.

Card Read is exactly the same as my NatWest one.

Someone also asked about changing your PIN. The covering letter with the PIN number issued tells you how to do this.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Just to confirm that downloading and setting up the app enables you to add a payee to the account, that can then be saved and will appear as a payee on Anytime banking. At least this is so on the android version of the app.

Now all set up, able to move money in and out, just waiting for the card and the card reader. I don't actually need the reader as I've already got one!

What a performance though for so little interest! 3 weeks to date.
  • Hammer_Time
    Hammer_Time Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also never received my first card, however I did receive a pin number which will only work with the first card. They said they will send me a second card still waiting.

UPDATE
    I received two cards today one dated 11/07/17 the other one 24/07/17, also my new pin arrived I already have a card reader so now it's all up and running.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback