Burnt clutch - hire vehicle

Options

Comments

• palasmy
    palasmy Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I was hoping to respond something like below, please can I have your comments,

"Green Motion didn't provide anything except two photos of a damaged clutch plate and of course the invoice.

And for the windscreen there wasn't any detailed report about GM investigation based on the evidences i provided except that GM royally went ahead with their charging on my card.

So for all the above reasons, I felt nothing was fairly dealt with and everything said so far as the emails suggest were inconsistent in my opinion.

Hope it is clear now..
    "
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think communication with them is of little use. I would complain to your credit card company and insist on a refund until the matter is resolved. Simply reply to them that as they are not engaging in a reasonable dialogue you do not wish to communicate with them further, you are applying to the credit card company for a refund of the windscreen charge and that unless their communication is a letter before claim, you will not respond further.

Actually, I'd also say that even if a windscreen did chip in your use, I would not see that you should be liable, as these things happen beyond your control - you have not been negligent or careless, much as I would not expect to be liable for the odd stone chip on a bonnet. I would fall back on consumer contract legislation if they tried to say you were contractually liable. It is their fault if they are hiring cars and haven't allowed for the occasional costs of windscreen chips.
  • palasmy
    Options
    I think communication with them is of little use. I would complain to your credit card company and insist on a refund until the matter is resolved. Simply reply to them that as they are not engaging in a reasonable dialogue you do not wish to communicate with them further, you are applying to the credit card company for a refund of the windscreen charge and that unless their communication is a letter before claim, you will not respond further.

Actually, I'd also say that even if a windscreen did chip in your use, I would not see that you should be liable, as these things happen beyond your control - you have not been negligent or careless, much as I would not expect to be liable for the odd stone chip on a bonnet. I would fall back on consumer contract legislation if they tried to say you were contractually liable. It is their fault if they are hiring cars and haven't allowed for the occasional costs of windscreen chips.

You actually reminded me of a another valid point here, the windscreen damage was much more than a simple chip, IanMspencer. This is why I strongly suspect they have screwed up before my renting and are now trying to put it on me. It is literally big crack that runs horizontally across the wiper blade...
  • MilduraS
    MilduraS Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies if this has been said before, it's a long thread. Do they have photos of the car taken between your hire period and the previous hire period that can be date verified?

I haven't hired a car before but when using airport parking the person collecting the car has always taken photos at the time of collection and when dropping it off. Any established hire company should do the same.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know why you're even bothering to have discussions with them any more.

All you need is a curt message denying all liability, and informing them that you have no wish to enter into any further discussions.

The same goes if you ever get a Letter Before Action.

The only thing you need to take proper action on is a county court summons.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    palasmy wrote: »
    You actually reminded me of a another valid point here, the windscreen damage was much more than a simple chip, IanMspencer. This is why I strongly suspect they have screwed up before my renting and are now trying to put it on me. It is literally big crack that runs horizontally across the wiper blade...

Big cracks start from little chips. A big crack still does not imply negligence and of course it might have been obscured by the wipers so you might not have noticed it. Or they may have spotted the chip, decided it looked like it needed a new screen and tapped it to make the damage worse.
  • palasmy
    Options
    Hello All

Just to update, since Gm's last request to elaborate, after a bit of thought I decided not to respond.

Until now, haven't had any communication..
  • Gerald_Jones
    Options
    GREENMOTION or Green Motion is an apt name for what is probably the worst car hire company in the UK. Only those who are green or inexperienced would hire from this evil company. So, do your homework and read about this firm before you sign anything. They train their staff to deliberately make up or even cause damage on your returned hired vehicle for a nice bonus. Employees can make $100's/ day by lying.. Their staff are awarded high bonuses for lying. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED FOLKS.
  • palasmy
    Options
    Hi All, I have received the below mail from GM yesterday,

"Further to my colleagues email this morning, this clutch issue is now due to be passed over for legal proceedings in order to recover what we are due. This is of course something that I would much like to avoid.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly regarding closing this matter down."

Wondered should I restart the communication or just sit tight and watch..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure