Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    He's ignoring me completely at the moment
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    He's ignoring me completely at the moment

Probably because he knows that he won't want to hear what you have to say :-( Typical male behaviour, I'm afraid ....and I say this as the mother of three sons, widow of a stubborn darling *!**!z of a man.

But that doesn't help you at all, dear Mooloo - we share your frustration, your desire to knock some sense into his head, etc etc etc. Just "say nowt" - not even to Biggest - just vent here for the time being - I would advocate keeping close to his ex - you know the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" - make no comment about him, just play with the babies and listen.

Thinking of you xxx
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    geminilady wrote: »
    Oh Mooloo (hug) As a mum myself I really feel for you.I know everyone is telling you to step back and of course you should in some ways especially financially but it is your son.How would all the posters on here feel if he did take his own life.You have lost enough in your life.Could you or biggest persuade him to go to the doctors? depression can be treated and it would make it easier for him to cope.

i think your comment is a tad unfair.

People who have family and friend support still kill themselves, you are aimplying that DS would only do that if Mooloo doesnt support him and that is incorrect.

No matter how much love and support people get sometimes it is just not enough.

In no way should Mooloo feel guilty about anything - she has done enough to help him over the years and especially last year when she ended up on debt om her credit cards as she paid the bailiff for their debts.
  • sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I often read but have ever posted before, but your DS is soo like my cousin (38), and ironically his mother a successful alterations shop for thirty years, selling at Christmas 2017 for a well deserved retirement.

My cousin has been in trouble with the law, has a drug, gambling problem. He failed all his GCSEs, I'm not sure if he has learning difficulties, certainly never diagnosed in any case. Has never had a serious relationship, has no children, his life revolves around smoking cannabis, and the pub. He has a council flat in a pretty grotty area (how has he kept it? well he works for the council and they deduct the rent from his pay before he receives it.)

The main different between him and your DS is a work ethic, he gets up to start work at 5am come rain or shine, his flat is immaculate, he's a practical sort and is forever redecorating. He's worked for his current employer for over ten years. He can cook. He's the sort whose wage would be spent within a day but then he'd go without for 28 days before getting paid. He also probably needs drug and debt counselling but he's fully functioning really.

I really believe DS needs a focus be it work or a relationship. Unfortunately in his current state he's not really a catch for the sort of person who could really turn his life around.

My cousin's mother despairs with him too, she's very successful as was a single parent, when it wasn't really the done thing. Built her business from scratch as it was the only skill she had. She worked for years from her unconverted loft in a tiny two bed house. When she retired she owned two properties paid for from her business. She's a long way from a millionaire but she's comfortable.

The main difference; she did the sewing herself and had no overheads. Don't continue to pay others over yourself, be it a landlord or employees, as you are beginning to realise it doesn't work. She tried hat making, wedding dress making over the years but in the end her main bulk was alterations. Trousers and jackets mostly. She had arrangements with high end shops who have an alterations service, she would go and collect the items and take them back, this was the main bulk of her business. Could you do similar?
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I see it from all angles. I am intelligent enough to see how my children are. I have no blinkers and haven't for many years. It does not stop me from wanting miracles, for them all to see the truth etc.
    I see the truth, I just keep trying to push it back.
    I know that what "he is doing to me" stress wise is also actually not what he is doing, but how I choose (subconscious and consciously), to react to his actions.
    But it is not easy to change the way I feel, or react. Yet I know I must.
    I know that for many years I have relied upon this forum to vent by life. Tell my feelings and my day to Day ups and downs.
    You can see when I am feeling good or bad. It shows in my writing, and at school it apparently shows in my face as several Mums asked me if I was ok.
    I tried to switch off today and enjoyed lunch with Mum. Wecharity shopped, well Mum paid, £9.50 for 3 things for me from the charity shop. A cardigan, dress and trousers. Bargains. But she insisted on paying. I feel guilty for that, but she gets so much pleasure from bargain hunting and will not let me pay. I could have argued but in public that would have been bad, so I try not to worry about it. But I am aware.
    One day I would like to be able to treat her, and I will.
    I am like a double edged sword at the moment.
    I am also hoping for a little more sleep tonight.

I just pray that DS wakes up and sees the situation as it really is.

If anyone reading could send positive thoughts to me for a decent sleep please do. Collectively the 600 odd of you could actually have a positive energy impact and I might sleep ( and DS might wake up!!)
    Thankyou to all of you, that read and post, and those that don't post.
    I am accepting all good vibes right now.

Try to get to sleep now. Night night xx
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mooloo, if you really consider DS a suicide risk then you should contact his GP and the mental health team. The GP can see him and assess him, it is important to talk with his GP.
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sending you lots of positive and peaceful thoughts for a better nights sleep Mooloo. How about using your relaxation tapes at bedtime that should set you up in the right frame of mind for sleep. (hugs to you)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,537 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sending lots of positive vibes that you can get a half decent sleep.

Remember we only want the best for you & yours.
    Take care of you xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mooloo I've not been on mse a great deal lately but am sending you positive thoughts and my hopes for a restful sleep tonight .

All the worry in the world wont make a difference tonight . You need rest to stay on your feet each day and care for yourself . your mum and your DGD .

Don't fret about your mum paying for a few clothes . You help her because you care and she shows her love and care with a few treats .

It sounds trite but each day as it comes love .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i think your comment is a tad unfair.

People who have family and friend support still kill themselves, you are aimplying that DS would only do that if Mooloo doesnt support him and that is incorrect.

No matter how much love and support people get sometimes it is just not enough.

In no way should Mooloo feel guilty about anything - she has done enough to help him over the years and especially last year when she ended up on debt om her credit cards as she paid the bailiff for their debts.

I was implying no such thing.Yes,sadly sometimes love and support is not enough.
    Yes Mooloo has done lots for all her children as do many parents and I did state I did not mean financial help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure