We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Single use plastics

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I see that single use plastics are yet again in the firing line

1. Ear buds
2. Drinking Straws

This got me thinking
Disposable water filters - how many of these do we get through annually - do they decompost ?
Nope !!

Comments

• katka1
    katka1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suppose there must be some eco-friendly alternatives around... Though I have never used a water filter, too much hassle and unnecessary cost for me. The only thing is that I do need to descale my kettle every few months. Lemon juice does the trick!

I tried no plastic shopping at Asda the other day, just wanted to pick up some veggies for dinner. SO HARD to find vegetables that are no wrapped in plastic. If I wanted to make the entire shop plastic-free I would probably need to visit 3 or 4 supermarkets to get everything I wanted...
    'I cannot do all the good that the world needs. But the world needs all the good that I can do.'
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can recycle them. Robert Dyas take them, as do my local hardware store.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some people use charcoal which can then be composted after use.

Personally, I don't bother. Although water in different areas often tastes funny compared to what I'm used to, after a week or two I can't taste it anymore. I'm just grateful that we have safe clean water so I don't feel the need to improve it myself.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brita have a good reputation for recycling their filters - there are several shops round here which take them back.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    katka1 wrote: »
    I suppose there must be some eco-friendly alternatives around... Though I have never used a water filter, too much hassle and unnecessary cost for me. The only thing is that I do need to descale my kettle every few months. Lemon juice does the trick!

I tried no plastic shopping at Asda the other day, just wanted to pick up some veggies for dinner. SO HARD to find vegetables that are no wrapped in plastic. If I wanted to make the entire shop plastic-free I would probably need to visit 3 or 4 supermarkets to get everything I wanted...

They get nice safe expanded polystyrene trays as well !
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Brita have a good reputation for recycling their filters - there are several shops round here which take them back.
    I hadn't realised that
    Thank you
  • Kunoichi73
    Kunoichi73 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that
    Thank you

Try your local supermarket for Brita filter recycling - our Sainsbury's has a bin for them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Why is this on greenfingered? I've got lots of stuff in my polytunnel, but ear buds, drinking straws and water filters don't feature as heavily as flower pots.

Almost all of my pots are secondhand, or ones I bought a long time ago and use every year till the plants need moving on. Certainly, some have lasted > 10years. Even when I sell plants, many pots come back again, because no one wants to just bin them.

I see the new pot colour is taupe. It doesn't do much for the look of plants on display, but it can be 'seen' by the sensors in plastic recycling plants, whereas black can't.

Hmm..... just had a thought. Who is going to recycle the polytunnel...? :eek:
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same here Dave, we always ask that customers return carry trays and post as we can reuse them, if they don't need them that is. Surprising how few do. We have a florist friend who, rather than paying the council to take her plant trays away, bring them to us for customers to take plants away on. As for the polytunnel sheet, its a long way till November the fifth (jest) normally you have to get a firm to take it away, at a fee of course. Ever tried to cut it into manageable pieces for the council to recycle, if legal of course.?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Hmm..... just had a thought. Who is going to recycle the polytunnel...? :eek:

Just wait for some gales and whooosh, next county problem [jokette]
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure