Obsessed with saving!

Options

Comments

• blannweil
    Options
    It's better to be obsess with savings than with luxurious items that will just run our of value over time. I wish I'll be able to save money just like you did.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I try to save a bit each month as we have 2 very old cars and will have to replace one eventually. We are not fussed about exotic holidays, you can spend a fortune and the memory of the holiday disappears all too soon.

When we retired my OH got a lump sum and he splashed out on a set of Miele appliances, full size fridge and freezer, small freezer, dishwasher and washer dryer. These are ultra reliable and should last us the rest of our lives.

I have my eyes on a Jaguar (car not cat :D) but it looks as if I will have to win the lottery or premium bonds ;)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    .... These are ultra reliable and should last us the rest of our lives. .....)
    Maybe not. My Meile freezer lasted only two years.:eek:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In most of your post you refer to I, me, myself, etc. You never say a word about what your wife wants to do. Is she of the same mindset as you, or would she rather spend some of the money?
  • Moneycat
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, it could be difficult to switch from the saver to spender mentality, if you have always been in the ‘saver’ camp so to speak.
    Equally, there is no point spending money for the sake of it, that would be a waste.
    How about setting up a small amount per month for you as a couple to just spend on something that you both enjoy? Be that a trip to a theatre, weekend away, movies, something new for the house? And make it your goal to spend it.
    Sometimes you have to ‘work’ at spending! After a while you could increase the amount a little. You could discover that you do actually enjoy the new experiences.
    You could even take turns with your OH every other month to decide how it’s spent and surprise each other.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    In most of your post you refer to I, me, myself, etc. You never say a word about what your wife wants to do. Is she of the same mindset as you, or would she rather spend some of the money?

I think this is key, as long as you both agree on what happens choose how you manage your finances to suit

You say retirement was the reason for saving so you must have had an idea of what you wanted to do in retirement that would need funding, what has changed ? You don't want to travel or whatever it was.

I plan to stop worrying about saving when I retire as that's exactly why I have saved whilst working.
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    My parents, (87 and 91) come from the generation that always saved their money and were generally careful. They are now in the position of having well over a million pounds in savings and investments. Myself and my two brothers have tried over the years to get them to spend more, but it’s not in their nature and wouldn’t have made them any happier, so we left it alone in the end. They came on holiday with me every year until this year so have had some nice times to look back on, but needless to say, I am not and won’t be as frugal as them.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Maybe not. My Meile freezer lasted only two years.:eek:

Our Miele dishwasher lasted five. Parts and repairs are expensive and the independent repairers won't touch them.
  • robotrobo
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

Dont talk stupid!:D
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know for sure but ime my DH was a bit of a spendthrift and as we have gotten older he is of the same mindset as me so l wonder if it rubs off on them . Just a thought.
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport