Who pays for social care ?

If an elderly relative were to move in with us - after the death of a spouce ?
Do they base the amount of social care on the savings that the OAP has or do they base it on our savings or a combination thereof ?

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    If an elderly relative were to move in with us - after the death of a spouse ?
    Do they base the amount of social care on the savings that the OAP has or do they base it on our savings or a combination thereof ?

Maybe you should specify just what social care you envisage the elderly relative will need. Your enquiry is very vague.

'They' - who are 'they'?

Moving in with relatives is not necessarily a trigger for social care.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe you should specify just what social care you envisage the elderly relative will need. Your enquiry is very vague.

'They' - who are 'they'?

Moving in with relatives is not necessarily a trigger for social care.
    by THEY I mean DWP
    and the OAP will require home help - washing etc
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Attendance Allowance assessed on need, carer's allowance (not available for carers who are already state pensioners I believe). Some help may be available from the local authority (I stress some as they are very overstretched). But should be based on their income. With AA any income is irrelevant it is just needs based.
  • 50Twuncle
    badmemory wrote: »
    Attendance Allowance assessed on need, carer's allowance (not available for carers who are already state pensioners I believe). Some help may be available from the local authority (I stress some as they are very overstretched). But should be based on their income. With AA any income is irrelevant it is just needs based.

Just THEIR income - not their savings or our savings then ?
    We are saving the authorities thousands from residential care costs !!
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

But she's your family. My understanding of social care is as a safety net when people cannot afford to pay for what they require.
  • 50Twuncle
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    But she's your family. My understanding of social care is as a safety net when people cannot afford to pay for what they require.
    Which HE cannot afford - long term
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    by THEY I mean DWP
    and the OAP will require home help - washing etc

Isn't that what you will be providing?
  • 50Twuncle
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Isn't that what you will be providing?
    No - I, myself am disabled, on DLA and a works ill health pension - my wife claims CA to look after me - so its going to be too hard for her !!
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 8:14PM
    Speak to Adult Care at your council. They will do an assessment of his income, savings etc and necessary outgoings and calculate how much they will contribute toward home care, which they can arrange for you via a registered healthcare company. Well at least that's how it went for my Mum. They sent her a bill every month for the excess payment over and above their contribution.

You can also get equipment that would help your elderly relative. Mum had a stool for in her shower and another for in front of her basin. Also a frame to fit over the toilet seat to make it higher and provide grip handles so she could sit down and stand up more easily. We bought these from a mobility shop. We also got her one of those alert pendants that she wore round her neck. If she had a fall or felt ill when we weren't there, she pressed the button and help would arrive.

During her last few months we arranged meals on wheels for lunchtimes, worked out about £5 a day for 2 courses and Mum was billed monthly.

We were very satisfied with the support we received and were happy to pay for these things. In my opinion there is no way any council can afford to provide that complete service to everyone that needs it without charging for it.
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »

You savings will not come into it, but theirs will do if it is above £14,250.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure