Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Options

Comments

• peter5348
    Options
    hi

my first post...scary :j

I tend to spend £3 on lunch everyday which over an average month equals £90 a month. I'm hoping to save £60 a month spending £7.50 on ingredients for lunches every week. I managed this successfully for a week last year so I'm looking to do better this year.
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey newbie! Welcome peter, welcome, welcome!

Do you want me to add you to the list peter?
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittiej wrote: »

qt, great to know about another value product which people like, there's nothing worse than buying things and finding they are horrid. Sorry to hear about the freezer btw, have you replaced it yet? Just thinking you might bag a bargain in the sales :)

Yeah i bought a new one that day, let it sit overnight then started filling it with the million and one dinners i'd made from the contents of the old one :rotfl:
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • kittiej
    Options
    started filling it with the million and one dinners i'd made from the contents of the old one :rotfl:

Very MSE :D
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • peter5348
    Options
    yes that would be great thanks
  • kittiej
    Options
    OK you're in :j
  • km1977
    km1977 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    RIGHT this is defo the challenge for me every day I give the kids 2 of them £2.50 each for lunch and I get lunch at work in town varies from £2.50 to £6.00 eeekkkk so from when the kids go back to school I am already back at work I will be making us all packed lunch I am doing slimming world so will mostly be making pasta salads and soups/stews put into a food flask my kids are little brats lol and hate taking pack up but they are going to have to get a grip and deal with it my 16 yo is horrible to me most the time so from the 1st January no more mrs nice mummy lol grrrrr I bet I coukd easily save £20 a month on lunches I only work 27 hours a week over 4 days but my hours go down from the 6th Jan to 21 :-(
  • kittiej
    Options
    Aww km, the joys of teenagers - not.

I'll bung you down for £20 if that's OK? Sorry to hear about the hours in work too :(, have you been on the OS board for meal ideas? They're a nice bunch over there.
  • vics199
    vics199 Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 9:44PM
    Options
    For those who want a basic soup recipe, then this is what i use (courtesy of Jamie Oliver - by the way I am a bit obsessed with his recipes in case you haven't guessed yet!!):

Makes around 6-8 portions depending on how thick you like your soup/what you add:

2 Large Onions
    2 Good sized Carrots
    2 Sticks of celery
    Large glug of olive oil

Cook all of this together in a pan (once you've chopped it all into chunks!) for about 5 mins, stirring regularly. Put it straight in the pan with the olive oil, don't add water.

Then add any other veg to it that you want eg Parsnips or leek and potato. Cook for another 10 mins.

Add approx a jug to a jug and a half of vegetable stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Add any spices, herbs and salt and pepper to season.

Leave to simmer for about 30 mins. If you like it lumpy then portion it up like this, else put it in the blender for a few mins. You will probably need to add more vegetable stock as you blend it (up to 1 more jug).

Hope this helps!
  • vics199
    vics199 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    obviously you can add meat to it if you want to. A really great soup is to add chopped chorizo and sweet potato to this basic recipe. It is seriously yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure