Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

edited 16 January 2013 at 9:46AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
536 replies 67.5K views

Replies

• Hi all

Can I join too I'm back at work on 2nd January, and have a week's holiday so have 17 working days in Jan (That sounds good!).

I have had a little think and I probably spend £5 a day on average on lunch and snacks and drinks, so that'll be a saving of £85!!

Thanks Sx
    I have enough money for the rest of my life... as long as I never have to pay for anything again!

Debt at LBM (2011) £7750. DFD 01/01/2013
  • kittiejkittiej Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Wecome sunshine, I'll put you on the list :) please share you lunch ideas too.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18 :)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Hi all

I am going to try and make this (apparently it serves 4) and will let you know how I get on. (I am sure Pret's version has cream in it though). I have copied and pasted from the web so hope that's ok.

Will need to pop to the shops to get mushrooms and parsley. I may have to get some cream as well :rotfl:but I am going anyway as I am running low on bread, milk and cat food.

160g arborio rice
    600ml vegetable stock or water
    sea salt and cracked pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves sliced garlic
    250g assorted mushrooms
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan

Method

Wash rice in cold running water to remove the starch. Place in pot with vegetable stock, bring to the simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes.

When cooked, season and check consistency adding extra stock if necessary.

Heat oil. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the mushrooms and cook until golden. Add in the chopped parsley.

Add half the amount of mushrooms to soup and mix through.

Place the mushroom and rice soup in bowl and decorate with the rest of mushrooms.

Grate parmesan on top to serve.

I am thinking it could be cheaper to go to Pret and buy the real mccoy though! :rotfl:

CW
    NSD Challenge 2015: Jan 20 / 20 (2 x 5 in-a-row) / Feb 5 / 12 (4 in-a-row) :D

Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!

Barclaycard at 2 / 02 / 2015 [STRIKE]£4,600[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4540[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4250[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] £3250 need to pay it off by 08 / 2015 before mortgage completion
    2.6K Posts
    I am going to try and make this (apparently it serves 4) and will let you know how I get on. (I am sure Pret's version has cream in it though). I have copied and pasted from the web so hope that's ok.

Ooo yes cw please do come back and tell us what this was like, thanks for the recipe :T
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • vics199vics199 Forumite
    135 Posts
    Well thats my cheap food done for the month - loads of reduced to clear products at the supermarket today as people haven't been buying much this week. Only went in for some fresh ginger to go in my soup and came out with 39 meat portions (all sorts) for a bargain £12! So head down to your supermarket if you have time. As its Sunday the prices have been cut right down already as they have less than 3 hours now to sell it all!
  • vics199vics199 Forumite
    135 Posts
    right, cup of tea time and then I had better get my soup on the go. I need to take the parsnips out of the freezer to make room for all this meat I just bought!!
    2.6K Posts
    Hey well done vics on the meat bargains - gotta love a bargain lol.
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • killerpeatykillerpeaty Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    kittiej wrote: »
    Hey kp, welcome aboard and well done on the recent getting of job, how much do you want me to put you down as saving? I don't know how many days you work lol.

Work out a figure and I'll pop in the 1st post :)

Ha ha, what a wally I am. :rotfl: I work weekdays only so my weekly saving should be £11 maximum. I would like to do this weekly purely because I don;t want to use my whole month's allowance in the first week!

Thank you for the congrats and thank you for this challenge, I hope I stick with it (starting tomorrow for me!). Good luck to you and everyone taking part, I hope you all have much better will power than me! :rotfl:
  • lionheartedgirllionheartedgirl Forumite
    915 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm in for this one please. Not sure how much I'm aiming to save, so I think I'll just track savings instead rather than guesstimating them.

I'm at college a few days a week (it changes all the time) and when I'm in, I have no access to a fridge. I'm quite fussy on keeping things cold but have lots to carry and can't manage a big cool bag as well.

I prefer to have sandwiches for lunch - anything pasta or soup-y doesn't quite hit the spot. but I'm quite partial to oat cakes and things too, so I'll get my thinking cap on as to how I can make this work.

My main unplanned spends are on days where I haven't taken enough food with me, and I really need to get on top of this so as to get back in control of those pesky little spends that add up to great big £££ :o
    2.6K Posts
    :j Welcome lionheartedgirl, it's perfectly OK if you don't want to declare a savings total, this is an organic thread and users have the autonomy to choose how they want to engage in it :rotfl:. Maybe it would be better to have some goodies in your bag as a standby.

kp, I'll put you down for £11 for the week if that's OK then?

The only thing I will ask is that if you have any truly scrumptious recipes or ideas would you be willing to share :) That's it, easy peasy - oh and don't forget to let us know how you are getting on.
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides