PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Between the fish supplies and the fact my great uncle was a ghillie so we got lots of game meant us kids longed for the things our pals ate like crispy pancakes!

The only "perk" we got from parent / grandparent jobs was shoe repairs, granddad was a cobbler, and the first in the street to have a TV, for the Coronation. Mum worked at HMV, now EMI

PS, bread looks lovely, just letting it cool a bit for lunch
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    :rotfl:at the thought of perks from parents jobs.

My fathers job (until he retrained) meant enforced moves and the constant fear he would be killed or injured (ie because of being in the Armed Forces). Thankfully both those things stopped when he subsequently became a teacher - but no perks there still.

My mother didnt go back to work at all until I was pretty well into teenage years - does getting let off the occasional library fine (as she took my books back to the library for me - since she worked there) count?

Farway - British food has improved a lot over recent decades imo and I guess it's a combination of foreign holidays and the Internet. Imo - both those things have been a very "mixed blessing" to everyone (ie in the world as a whole). But a more varied/interesting diet here is one of the plus sides in that "mixed blessing".

Lunch today - very cba = toast with nut butter and then fresh fruit with Oatly "cream". I'll blame the fact I've been doing more research re thoughts Kittie put to me.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Update on the soda bread, very nice, but very filling

I only had a 1/4 for lunch, sort of hand sized, with cheese etc. Now I'm stuffed and no idea for dinner, to stuffed & CBA to prep anything, could just be back into the soda bread later

One of the CFO pluses, no need to worry about Sunday roast or traditional food types for any meals
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
    Options
    Has feeling I'm just going to pick some green veg from the garden and do with my old standby (ie tahini sauce) and I guess some more steamed new potatoes with it for dinner.

It's obviously not quite worked yet re having meal ideas/ingredients up on the fridge. I'm on the case - I'll get there one day:rotfl:

Another "singles" plus side Farway is that one is free to express an opinion/generally live as you decide you will - and there aren't restrictions to that from worrying that a perfectly standard/normal opinion expressed in a different part of the country could mean problems for a child (adult or otherwise), spouse or whatever (as all the "close" people either don't exist - eg children in my case) or are too far away to be affected by anyone deciding to "count them in as having same opinions - even if they don't - and Be Awkward to them".
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the idea of perks from parents' jobs. If only. My dad was a skilled artisan. Any job needed doing or was simply desirable, he'd reckon up the cost of materials and his time. Surprise, surprise, it was never cost effective to do it. I fully understand the old cliche about the cobbler's children having no shoes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    One of the CFO pluses, no need to worry about Sunday roast or traditional food types for any meals
    It is indeed :D
    Your soda bread sounds lovely, a chunk would have went nicely with my herring & salad at lunchtime:)

It's rained for most of the day so I've had a very [STRIKE]lazy [/STRIKE] relaxing Sunday. Tbh I think I needed it as I think as I may be heading for a flare up! I have been pretty busy (for me) for the last few weeks so I'm hoping a few quiet days avoiding "triggers" might settle things back down.
    I had two of the herring with salad and dill mustard sauce at lunchtime, they were delicious:).
    Easy meal planned for this evening of steak, flat mushroom, tomato, onion and spuds. It's chilly here tonight so I fancy a hot meal even though I've lots of salad stuff. I need to pick & use some pak choi as some of it is bolting so a few stir fries need to be on the menu. I could have one tonight with the steak but CBA the prep.:cool:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you're able to preempt a flare up Caronc :)

My dad left working on the farm for factory work when I was a baby so I didn't have the same perks my older sidlings did. My mum [STRIKE]nagged [/STRIKE] asked him to paint the hallway I remember coming home from school and he had 'acquired'some bright orange gloss paint from work and had painted the walls in a windowless hall with it, my first words were she won't like that, he replied 'she wanted it painted she didn't say what colour!' She hated it but it stayed that way until he died and then it took us 6 coats of paint to cover it. He also painted the bathroom a dark blue/green colour also in gloss after all it was the 70s :rotfl:

My mum was a typical cook of her time trying to feed us on a really tight budget, everything was cooked to death, we reckon the sprouts were put on with the turkey :eek: not a lot of meat but a plate of 5 or 6 veg from the garden, fruit crumble or pies made from homegrown fruit. Homemade jams, chutneys and cakes. Rice and pasta were always considered foreign food unless it was rice puddling, macaroni pudding (yuck) or tin spaghetti on a rare occasion and why grill when you have a frying pan :rotfl:

Lunch was at friends today a combination of her birthday as well as Father's Day for her dad and OH, she cooked a lovely selection of tapas, I skipped the tiramisu and had fresh fruit. Didn't get back until 8 so grabbed a couple of slices of toast to avoid midnight hunger pangs
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
    Options
    I guess I should reckon that the perks I got from my father weren't anything to do with his job (whether before or after he left the Armed Forces).

They were the knowledge that there are people out there that are very multi-skilled and capable of doing pretty much what they set their mind to and do form their own independent opinions - as he is. The downside is it might have helped if I'd had a father that was less of a humanist and more of a cynic:rotfl:.

Dinner was indeed as per (todays) thoughts of cba - ie steamed veg from garden/new potatoes/tahini sauce and I chucked in some tomatoes. Still hungry - so cba prevailed and it was toast.

You know I should make the resolution of summat particularly nice on Sunday evenings where - at the moment - my idea of latter part of is watching the Handmaids Tale. Sort of fascinated :eek: territory - coupled with every time she gets in the bath I'm thinking in sheer incredulity "Why on earth does she get back out of it again? Lots of water. 10 minutes. Job done. End of problems - she's free". But that's my take on such a dysfunctional society.:cool: You can tell that programme is a "happy place" - not:rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'm definitely a bit "wonky donkey" this morning so plan just to potter and if it stays dry have a gentle walk round the block.
    Breakfast was ryvitas with cream cheese and LO roasted tomato from last night. Lunch will be herring and salad. I'm not sure about dinner tonight, I have various veg that could do with being used so if I cba I'll get chopping and cook a big tray of roast veg. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wonky you need tlc, look after yourself, it is good that you recognise wonkiness approaching

I am having an easier day today, no washing anything, ok maybe vacuuming and cleaning kitchen tops but no more and I have read 2 pages of world without end, I have that delight to look forward to for many days to come.

First early breakfast was just soaked oats and a few strawberries, 2 hours later flaxseed crackers with sliced cheddar and slice ripe tomato on top and fresh black coffee. Lunch will be a big burger and various cooked veg, followed by gooseberry crumble. Last meal the medley in a bowl of rhubarb strawberry compote, granola and yoghurt.

That will be by 3 and that means I have eaten everything for the day in an 8 hour window. I did it yesterday, normally have a 9-10 hour eating window but I need to get weight off and keep it off, my body is one of those that could survive on very little. I think 16 hours fasting will help and I didn`t feel hungry because I was used to it, just stretched it a bit. I still have plenty of energy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback