PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers / Viewers from another planet

Options
Anyone got any good stories.

Sold a house last year one person brought 6 people with them for a viewing. There 10ish year old kids were throwing a bouncy ball up and down the stairs at a wall.

Same house, local guy came and viewed 5 times and had not even looked at the home report.

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not really.

House put on market friday morning. Five viewings booked for saturday. House sold monday morning.

Bit boring really. Worse thing was we had part exchanged it against a new build so it wasn't even our house we were selling!

First viewers bought it for the asking price which was what the developers gave us for it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Buyers / Viewers from another planet

We had a couple from Alpha Centauri, but when they worked out the commute from here to the Andromeda galaxy, the wife exclaimed, "2.5 million light years? You cannot be Sirius!" and that was the last we saw of them.

Just as well really. From what I've heard, those guys always claim they're cash buyers and then want to pay in Flanian Pobble Beads
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few years back. Had a couple view 5 times in the space of 2 weeks, with various parties, appeared seriously interested. Last time was with their architect. In the end offered £65k under asking on the basis of the remodelling that they wished to undertake on the entire downstairs.
  • maladict
    Options
    The guy that walked round our second floor flat with his face tripping him before rejecting it on the grounds that 'it's not a houseboat' was a particular low point.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Somebody stole a small rubber duck from the side of our bath on a viewing.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Viewers coming in disguise to pretend they were someone else, lord knows why.

A buyer who decided I would be a good confidante for his divorce when I made the mistake of giving a phone number. Nice man but a bit needy.

Oh and the one who sent his (equally rude) surveyor round despite us refusing all his offers. The surveyor actually got half way round before I realised, as coincidently a valuer from the actual buyers was expected on the same day.
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so I am not the only one that has nutters coming for viewings lol
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Not me, somebody I know: had a lot of expensive knick knacks, including a free-standing Shaun the sheep that had a lot of personal/sentimental value. One set of viewers had an unshackled child that clambered onto it as if it were a toy there for their amusement!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, an agent said they were bringing a wife round, alone. Husband wasn't keen, I loitered in the garden.... the agent/wife had seen the ground floor and were out in the rear garage.

Suddenly there was a ferocious banging at the front door, the agent went to answer the door and the husband came rampaging through the house, across the garden, into the garage and was shouting "I told you NO" at the wife before all three left.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When we sold our house last year we only had two viewers and both were unusual:

First one viewed the house as soon as it went on the market. They loved it and offered but theirs wasn't even on the market yet and they wanted us to take ours off the market while they sold theirs. Ermmmmm... No!

Second one was in a panic because they were middle of a chain and the vendor of the house they'd been buying had pulled out just before exchange. Their buyer's mortgage offer was expiring soon. They were panic-viewing everything in the area with no onward chain and chose our house there and then, provided we could complete within 6 weeks (which we did). The thing is, it was a >£500k house. Who panic buys any house, let alone one at that price level? Wouldn't you just rent instead? :eek: I do wonder if they're really happy in it. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure