Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cost of installing an unmanned CSD is very little to the cost of building a new store or refurbish existing stores.
    Refunding and purchases should be done on different tills.
    I don't know what its like anywhere else but there is always at least one till that is unused in my local Aldi/Lidl, so they could just put a customer service sign over one of them and ring for a manager whenever anyone is waiting. Although, there is one nearby Lidl that has now installed self-service checkouts, so not the same scope for doing it in that store.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bog-standard packets of crisps, usually 6 or 12 in a pack - anyone else finding that the Aldi and Lidl ones tend to come with most of the crisps broken into pieces?

I've no desire to buy branded crisps, but for the past few months pretty much every pack of Aldi/Lidl crisps opened has revealed contents that look as if they've been thrown round the warehouse a few times.

Just me, or is that common?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Bog-standard packets of crisps, usually 6 or 12 in a pack - anyone else finding that the Aldi and Lidl ones tend to come with most of the crisps broken into pieces?

I've no desire to buy branded crisps, but for the past few months pretty much every pack of Aldi/Lidl crisps opened has revealed contents that look as if they've been thrown round the warehouse a few times.

Just me, or is that common?
    Just you if my Lidl is anything to go by, must be down to handling in store
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't bought any potato crisps for a while, but the Lentil and Quinoa crisps are always in good condition.

Although the Quinoa ones are AWOL from my Aldi at the moment.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Although the Quinoa ones are AWOL from my Aldi at the moment.

Missing from mine too - and they're very good. Not smashed up either!

It's just the ordinary 6-packs that seem to be suffering, and Aldi's no better than Lidl. I've always assumed it's the packaging that's the problem. The crisps themselves are fine, but I prefer them whole, and not in pieces.
  • Tofu_eater
    Tofu_eater Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=15390
    Oh my god this olive oil was sooo,sooo,nice,actually the nicest I have ever tasted,better than any more expensive brands I've bought.I've nearly finished it now,I haven't checked but I doubt it's still available (anyone seen it recently anywhere?)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Just you if my Lidl is anything to go by, must be down to handling in store

Purely anecdotal but I saw an assistant in Lidl knock over a display of boxed Easter eggs a few weeks back. then she just piled them back up again. I'm sure there would have been some very disappointed children come Easter Day opening cracked eggs. :(
  • sweetcarer
    sweetcarer Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Purely anecdotal but I saw an assistant in Lidl knock over a display of boxed Easter eggs a few weeks back. then she just piled them back up again. I'm sure there would have been some very disappointed children come Easter Day opening cracked eggs. :(

As my late mother used to say about broken biscuits - they get broken in your belly any way :)
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sweetcarer wrote: »
    As my late mother used to say about broken biscuits - they get broken in your belly any way :)

true. But I hope she wouldn't have given a box of broken biscuits as a gift or, worse still, been charged full whack for broken biscuits.:(
  • Zuzel
    Zuzel Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi have British strawberries (called "Not Quite Perfect" or something similar) 227g for 98p!
    I didn't buy any because they'd have had to sit in my car for that long they'd have been jam by the time I got home but TBH they didn't look any different to the usual British strawbs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure