Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dad says the peaches on offer in Aldi this week are bland/tasteless.

The reason many differences on the peaches/ nectarines in fact all stone fruit is there are so many varieties, some last a week some last a month,some are grown in the north of Spain some grown in the south east some grown over on the west near Seville. The growers who supply all the retailers would come from all these areas to ensure if there were problems in one area another could pick up the slack.
    The main long established easy to grow high yielding stone fruit is what you get for your money at the discounters and standard packs.
    When you get into the special packs and the high end retailers you get the newer varieties that are grown for taste and flavour as against the standard pack that tastes ok but is aimed at the long life market ( ripen at home). Google peach and nectarine varieties and you will see how many there really are. So many varieties and so many areas will see different tastes and flavours.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2019 at 11:00AM
    Super Bock 6 pack £2.99 in Lidl.......anybody who has been to Portugal will know this is fantastic price:beer:
    For anybody that doesn't know how good it is get some in quick because it wont be around long :beer:

And if you live in Northern Ireland its 2 for £4
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2019 at 9:03PM
    Is this 330ml bottles? Or what?

Is it the pilsner lager?

What strength?

Edit: For research purposes I bought some and it's lager (not necessarily pilsner) in 330ml bottles and 5.2%, so indeed excellent value
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It is so humid down here in Kent, so I am now enjoying a Lidl Gelatelli almond ice cream. Better and far cheaper than Magnums IMHO.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    andygb wrote: »
    It is so humid down here in Kent, so I am now enjoying a Lidl Gelatelli almond ice cream.
    I fail to see the relationship here.

Gelatelli can be enjoyed equally on the few days we get snow.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bought some Lidl Jersey Royal potatoes yesterday and just boiled them to make potato salad and they have gone black. Anyone else found the same?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lily54 wrote: »
    Bought some Lidl Jersey Royal potatoes yesterday and just boiled them to make potato salad and they have gone black. Anyone else found the same?

Never found that - but they're so absolutely tasteless these days we've stopped buying them altogether. Classic case of branding taking the place of quality. No seaweed used on them now, pumped full of water to bulk them up - overpriced pap.

Try Charlotte - much nicer, and cheaper.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Aldi rainbow coleslaw is lovely. Not cheap, cheap but really nice.
    95p a tub.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lily54 wrote: »

I’ve only just seen your post Lily. Yes I got 2 packs of them the day after I cooked them as normal and when cooked they were ok,having said that as has been said pretty much tasteless not like Jerseys of old. There were some left so when cooled I put them in a container in the fridge same as I always do to go in the dogs dinner the day after,when I came to feed him opened the container and like you said all black and horrible,wonder what the problem was with these ?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lacura Moisture/ Mighty shampoo & conditioner was £1.99 now £0.99 Appears to be a take off on Aussie products- Moisture contains 'macadamia nut oil from Australia'
    Don't know if this is just a special offer or end of line.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure