Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1K replies 149.5K views
1910121415104

Replies

  • mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The cost of installing an unmanned CSD is very little to the cost of building a new store or refurbish existing stores.
    Refunding and purchases should be done on different tills.
    I don't know what its like anywhere else but there is always at least one till that is unused in my local Aldi/Lidl, so they could just put a customer service sign over one of them and ring for a manager whenever anyone is waiting. Although, there is one nearby Lidl that has now installed self-service checkouts, so not the same scope for doing it in that store.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bog-standard packets of crisps, usually 6 or 12 in a pack - anyone else finding that the Aldi and Lidl ones tend to come with most of the crisps broken into pieces?

    I've no desire to buy branded crisps, but for the past few months pretty much every pack of Aldi/Lidl crisps opened has revealed contents that look as if they've been thrown round the warehouse a few times.

    Just me, or is that common?
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Bog-standard packets of crisps, usually 6 or 12 in a pack - anyone else finding that the Aldi and Lidl ones tend to come with most of the crisps broken into pieces?

    I've no desire to buy branded crisps, but for the past few months pretty much every pack of Aldi/Lidl crisps opened has revealed contents that look as if they've been thrown round the warehouse a few times.

    Just me, or is that common?
    Just you if my Lidl is anything to go by, must be down to handling in store
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought any potato crisps for a while, but the Lentil and Quinoa crisps are always in good condition.

    Although the Quinoa ones are AWOL from my Aldi at the moment.
    Ex Board Guide
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Although the Quinoa ones are AWOL from my Aldi at the moment.

    Missing from mine too - and they're very good. Not smashed up either!

    It's just the ordinary 6-packs that seem to be suffering, and Aldi's no better than Lidl. I've always assumed it's the packaging that's the problem. The crisps themselves are fine, but I prefer them whole, and not in pieces.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Tofu_eaterTofu_eater Forumite
    86 posts
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=15390
    Oh my god this olive oil was sooo,sooo,nice,actually the nicest I have ever tasted,better than any more expensive brands I've bought.I've nearly finished it now,I haven't checked but I doubt it's still available (anyone seen it recently anywhere?)
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    Just you if my Lidl is anything to go by, must be down to handling in store


    Purely anecdotal but I saw an assistant in Lidl knock over a display of boxed Easter eggs a few weeks back. then she just piled them back up again. I'm sure there would have been some very disappointed children come Easter Day opening cracked eggs. :(
  • sweetcarersweetcarer Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    maman wrote: »
    Purely anecdotal but I saw an assistant in Lidl knock over a display of boxed Easter eggs a few weeks back. then she just piled them back up again. I'm sure there would have been some very disappointed children come Easter Day opening cracked eggs. :(


    As my late mother used to say about broken biscuits - they get broken in your belly any way :)
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweetcarer wrote: »
    As my late mother used to say about broken biscuits - they get broken in your belly any way :)


    true. But I hope she wouldn't have given a box of broken biscuits as a gift or, worse still, been charged full whack for broken biscuits.:(
  • Aldi have British strawberries (called "Not Quite Perfect" or something similar) 227g for 98p!
    I didn't buy any because they'd have had to sit in my car for that long they'd have been jam by the time I got home but TBH they didn't look any different to the usual British strawbs.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support