MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Options

Comments

• shoi
    shoi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having stupidly fallen into the same trap in France (Amazon Premium) I thought I was stuck for the year 49€, but no thanks to this article I resigned and am getting a refund. Hurrah
  • welshsue
    welshsue Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    My eldest Son & I have amazon accounts, he's got prime but I do not. My Hubby has never had one. Last year our Son needed something for his 6th form study's & as he was short of funds his dad paid using his debit card. He then removed it from the account. A couple of months later he had £73 taken from the card. On checking with the bank it was amazon. On contacting them he was told that they used his card to pay our Son's prime membership. As you can imagine he went ballistic with them & got it refunded, but couldn't tell him how his card details were still on their even though they had been removed & not showing when my Son checked the account???

Guess what happened a few days ago. £79 payment taken from hubby's card to amazon. This time to pay my prime(which I don't have). The part we can't understand is that the card used is a replacement & has only had it 2 months & never been on amazon with it. So how did they get his card number????? They have promised to refund.:mad:
  • donday
    donday Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    ok I too have been done by the Amazon Prime and just noticed it after going in to my account on Amazon. I have cancelled my request and called Amazon directly who advised that the money was taken off a card ending in ****. However the card expired back end of 2013 and since then been issued a new card from the same bank. Amazon have responded saying that they cannot refund me back unless the old card is used. How can you get your money back if the visa card in question has expired? Has anyone else had this issue.
  • rosegee
    Options
    Can you better this. Like many I signed up for 30 day trial and forgot all about it. It came up last year on credit card and I paid feeling I probably would use the service but in fact never have. Tried to cancel recently on their site and find - wait for it-that according to Amazon Prime I don't have an account. Of course today I find it on my newly arrived credit card statement. How do I get them to stop taking money for a membership that apparently doesn't exist. Have contacted my credit card provider and asked them to stop further payment, waiting for them to call me back.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,570 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2015 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Same here. Account debited, but no prime membership on either of our accounts to cancel. Looks like a nice cashflow booster (scam) for Amazon. Charge a few thousand customers, have their money to use until they maybe request a refund.

Update.

E-mailed Amazon about this issue 20 minutes ago and already had an e-mail confirming a refund. They did confirm no prime membership had been applied to either of our Amazon accounts.
  • Got £179 back straight away, when I realised I'd been getting charged. Be persistent. It's worth it. :)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got £179 back straight away, when I realised I'd been getting charged. Be persistent. It's worth it. :)

interesting number...
  • Transcend
    Options
    To all the people poo-pooing claiming this charge, I'd like to share my experience with you.

I signed up to the 30-day trial, and found it to be not fit for my needs, so I cancelled it after only a couple of days. Before I realised it wasn't for me, I wanted to ensure that I didn't forget about signing up and find unexpected charges, so not only did I sign up for Amazon's reminder that the 30 days was almost up, but I set a reminder via the calendar on my phone (I can be quite forgetful sometimes).

Phone calendar reminder comes up; I go to check, website confirms that "You no longer have amazon prime".

Amazon reminder comes up; I go to check, website confirms that "You no longer have amazon prime".

Remember, I cancelled a few days in, I checked and double-checked. So, imagine my annoyance to find they charged me anyway. The idiocy of it all? Despite being charged, I still did not have amazon prime (I checked, again, and took a screenshot).

Amazon have of course agreed to refund my money (although what they are offering does not cover the full amount they have taken, including the weird little 'NON-STG PURCH FEE' / NON-STG TRANS FEE' charges), but I'm now without £65 coming up to rent day. "5-10 working days" before I get my money back. I'll be able to pay my rent but will most likely be going hungry up till the 30th, thanks to amazon. I would not be surprised to find out this is standard operating procedure and from what I've seen / heard re prime, it certainly seems to be.

Very shady practices.
  • susi360
    Options
    I agree with some of the above comments about people not cancelling after free trial periods – many sites use that to get people to subscribe to things – but what Amazon are doing now is much more devious.
    I have been added to prime and cancelled it 3 times in the last WEEK. I have received a refund each time – but am still not completely sure how I am getting signed up for it again and again. As far as I can see – I am looking at an item on Amazon which has prime delivery options. I am actually a member of prime via the household membership, so not sure why I keep getting signed up myself and charged £79 each time.
    I think I will be avoiding even browsing on amazon in future!

:(;)
  • Tinkerlou
    Options
    Sent complaint to amazon Las night as realised I had been charged the yearly fee even though I know I definitely cancelled before the end of the trial, I clearly remember it saying on screen that even though I had cancelled I could still use the remaining trial days if I wanted to. Got a reply first thing this morning, no probs getting a refund, but the response was that my account was set to upgrade automatically to paid which I know I absolute rubbish. Just finding it very frustrating that Amazon I treating its customers like this and getting away with it. Either they made a big balls up when they set this system up or they are playing the odds that people wont notice a once a year payment........ Sorry rant over......:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback