Overstating how much you earn when applying for a job.

Options

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Yes. Your new employer will be able to see what you were previously earning from your P45. When they discover your are dishonest, they may decide to sack you.

No they won't. A P45 will only show taxable earnings. A large chunk of salary can be non-taxable.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No they won't. A P45 will only show taxable earnings. A large chunk of salary can be non-taxable.
    I include my 'working from home' as a 'non-cost'.. i.e. if I worked in a job I had to commute, they'd need to compensate me for that to get me to work there.

That wouldn't show on a P45
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Salary, bonus, pension contributions, private health insurance, death in service benefit etc etc. You can make your remuneration sound like whatever you want!

Best not to lie. But I always think it's a bit cheeky of employers to ask anyway... it doesn't have any relevance to the job you're applying for or your skills.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2017 at 11:59PM
    Options
    I did say "technically"!

Telling a prospective employer that you won't accept the job below a salary of £X is fine and 100% legal.

Telling them you currently earn £Y when that is not true is, as I said, fraud. It used to be a separate offence called "Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception". It is no different to falsely claiming to have experience or particular qualifications. It is very unlikely, in most circumstances, that you would be prosecuted but it can and sometimes does happen.

Misrepresentation in itself does not constitute fraud. It is different to lying about experience and qualifications because that determines the value of the employee to the business, whereas previous salary doesn't.

I imagine you would be hard pressed to find a court that would rule that lying about salary is fraud, can you cite a single case where anyone has ever been prosecuted for this under the fraud act 2006 as you claim has happened?
    Yes. Your new employer will be able to see what you were previously earning from your P45. When they discover your are dishonest, they may decide to sack you.

P45 doesn't show salary though. Bonuses, overtime, holiday buybacks etc will significantly increase earnings above the employees salary.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    P45 doesn't show what salary I've used to pay towards my pension, childcare vouchers, the share save scheme, season ticket loan, etc. It's missing many thousands so I doubt an employer could use it to judge my total remuneration.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Hardly an issue for dismissal. Furthermore, you a employer cannot determine your exact salary from a P45. For a start is does not take into account any deductions under salary sacrifice.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Hardly an issue for dismissal. Furthermore, you a employer cannot determine your exact salary from a P45. For a start is does not take into account any deductions under salary sacrifice.

Dishonesty not an issue for dismissal? Has been in every place I've worked. And there have been occasions in the past where I have found applicants have been dishonest, and have withdrawn their job offers as a result.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Considering it's only £2k and you haven't factored in the bonus you'll be fine. However I'd suggest it generally isn't a good idea to overstate your salary. There are ways your new employer can find out your previous salary and they could sack you for it, I would as I'd worry what else you'd lie about. Even if you keep your job it damages the trust between you.

It's also totally unnecessary to overstate your salary. When you start applying for jobs work out what salary you want and tell them what you want when they start discussing it. Don't take anything less. Your current salary is irrelevant.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dishonesty not an issue for dismissal? Has been in every place I've worked. And there have been occasions in the past where I have found applicants have been dishonest, and have withdrawn their job offers as a result.

If inflating your previous salary figure when negotiating your new remuneration package was cause for dismissal half of the working people in this country would be sacked! It is a non issue.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    As it could be part of the bonus, I don't see it as a problem.

On a wider issue, I hate people lying to me. I presume if they lie on one thing, they lie on all sorts and I don't want them around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure