Overstating how much you earn when applying for a job.

Options

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    As it could be part of the bonus, I don't see it as a problem.

On a wider issue, I hate people lying to me. I presume if they lie on one thing, they lie on all sorts and I don't want them around.

Everyone lies to you on all sorts of things. it's just a matter of whether you find out.

The basic rule of life is just not to lie about small, unimportant things. This makes you more likely to be believed when you lie about the big, important ones.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    When people ask inappropriate personal questions like salary though, you should expect to be lied to. People are just looking out for their interests, it's not exactly a breach of trust that shows a lack of integrity like lying about qualifications.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If they query just say it was salary sacrifice for your pension. My P45 has about £5k less on it than I actually earn due to salary sacrifice.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also if you get a bonus twice a year that takes you to the salary you specified then that will be on the P45 anyway so you're fine.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    When people ask inappropriate personal questions like salary though, you should expect to be lied to. People are just looking out for their interests, it's not exactly a breach of trust that shows a lack of integrity like lying about qualifications.

Honestly don't see the difference between those lies. If you feel the question is inappropriate why don't you refuse to answer?

As I've already said it's a completely meaningless piece of information as well so why lie about it? It would be like lying about a hobby you have.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Energize wrote: »

Sorry but utter nonsense!

Apart from a few questions which are prohibited by law a potential employer can ask what they like and are entitled to expect a truthful answer!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Everyone lies to you on all sorts of things. it's just a matter of whether you find out.

The basic rule of life is just not to lie about small, unimportant things. This makes you more likely to be believed when you lie about the big, important ones.

A man's true character is not in what he does but in what he would do if he knew he would never be found out!
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    If I employed someone and found out they hadn't exaggerated their previous salary at least slightly, I would have second thoughts about hiring them.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I employed someone and found out they hadn't exaggerated their previous salary at least slightly, I would have second thoughts about hiring them.

Because you enjoy being lied to or because your business relies on lying to its customers?
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No they won't. A P45 will only show taxable earnings. A large chunk of salary can be non-taxable.

Agreed, i salary sacrifice 50% of my salary into a pension, so my p45/P60 show me earning half my "real" wage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure