Overstating how much you earn when applying for a job.

Options
123457»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »

I am not going to waste any more time on your totally irrelevant and useless posts on this matter, just nonsense.

There are no prosecutions, not one.

If you were talking about putting an inflated salary on a mortgage form your suggestion of fraud might be valid, but you are just talking nonsense, complete and utter nonsense.

I am unsubing now so you reply if you want but you will be talking to yourself!

That is exceptionally rude and also untrue. In fact there have indeed been prosecutions, although pay rates have usually been part of a larger lie, and the fraud based on the whole lie, not just part of it. If you don't know what you are talking about, and you don't, kindly refrain from making accusations against respected posters who have had the courtesy of doing exactly what you asked for - providing you with the basis in law of what they have said. Frankly, you sound like a demented four year old throwing their toys out of the pram because they can't have their own way. Grow up.
  • Strummer22
    Strummer22 Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I happened to see an article about this recently. I do wish I'd read it before I accepted my last job actually! (Although there's no telling if it would have resulted in me being offered a better salary in the end).

Basically, as some posters have said, a hiring company has no right to know your salary history prior to making you an offer. Of course, if the offer is subject to references, they'll probably find out your salary if they want to, but that's post-offer so pretty much irrelevant.

How much you earn is typically taboo in the private sector where 'salary bands' aren't really a thing. It's often discouraged or even contractually forbidden to discuss your salary with your colleagues. Therefore, why should you be forced to give this information to a prospective employer? Instead, you should say 'I have a figure of £x in mind', or 'I understand that typically, this role pays around £y - £x'.

The best (or maybe funniest?) advice I saw was that you could say something like "This question is about my personal financial situation and I consider that to be confidential". If they insist, ask if their budget (or, if a recruiter, their client's budget) to fill the role, or current salaries for employees in that role, is confidential. If they say no, great! You can find out what they're paying other people for the job. If yes, you can say 'so we're agreed, this information is confidential. Here's the salary I have in mind...'

You've gotta be willing to stand up for yourself!
  • mariposa687
    mariposa687 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    It wouldn't cross my mind to lie about my salary, I don't see the point. I think it's important to be honest with people. I've also never been one of those people to lie on their CV - you just make things awkward for yourself when (not if) you get found out.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 4:53AM
    Options
    Sorry but utter nonsense!

Apart from a few questions which are prohibited by law a potential employer can ask what they like and are entitled to expect a truthful answer!

They can ask what they like legally, but it is very ill mannered to be asking personal information like salary. It is somewhat like asking someone to show their hand in a game of poker, a faux pas. If you ask questions of such a nature then you often aren't going to get a truthful answer. It's basic respect.

I don't reveal salary and my referees don't either, if a business is going to hire me then they can pay me what I'm worth, if a potential employer asked for my payslips from my previous jobs I'd be running for the hills! Big red flag.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options

I am not going to waste any more time on your totally irrelevant and useless posts on this matter, just nonsense.

If you were talking about putting an inflated salary on a mortgage form your suggestion of fraud might be valid, but you are just talking nonsense, complete and utter nonsense.

It's still lying and behaving like a !!!!
  • Majestic12
    Majestic12 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options

You are right about no prosecutions, however there has been stories of CEOs being fired because they lied about their degree or experience. It can catch up, even if you think you have "made it" over the line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure