Overstating how much you earn when applying for a job.

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've seen several references that state the persons final salary amongst other things, so they might find out that way too.
    If you added a small amount I don't think its a big deal. Especially if you have been in the job a while, several pay increases could leave you confused to your exact final salary and you may have just made a mistake?!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    The new employer doesn't require s P45.

Even if you don't give your new employer a P45, HMRC will send them a tax code notice and that sometimes has the ytd taxable pay on it.
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No I really wouldn't worry about it, lots of people do it. References don't have salaries on and its highly unlikely they will want a copy of your P45.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    References don't have salaries on a.

They often do ask for the final salary.
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    They often do ask for the final salary.

I haven't heard of that, and I have never ever seen a reply with the salary on.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of that, and I have never ever seen a reply with the salary on.
    I had a reference request just the other day, which asked for salary. The first time I can recall being asked for it.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    I had a reference request just the other day, which asked for salary. The first time I can recall being asked for it.

I'm surprised, I only occasionally cover for HR, but from what I remember most of the references I receive ask for the salary and the ones we send out for new starters always ask for the salary.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Because you enjoy being lied to or because your business relies on lying to its customers?

Because I am not an idiot who lies to himself.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Because I am not an idiot who lies to himself.

I don't really see how this links to either of the two previous posts we made. Or are you suggesting I'm an idiot who lies to himself because you can't answer the question and therefore have to resort to unfounded insults and false statements?

I genuinely don't see how you see honesty as a bad quality, after all that's basically what we're talking about here. I could see why it wouldn't bother someone either way but that isn't what you said.

It's just such a pointless thing to lie about and currently no one has really given any justification as to why it's worth the stress of lying about it. Unless they're applying for a job with you of course.

I'd put it on par with someone telling you they're 32 when they're actually 34. Not exactly a serious lie but I'd be questioning why they bothered.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I don't really see how this links to either of the two previous posts we made. Or are you suggesting I'm an idiot who lies to himself because you can't answer the question and therefore have to resort to unfounded insults and false statements?

I genuinely don't see how you see honesty as a bad quality, after all that's basically what we're talking about here. I could see why it wouldn't bother someone either way but that isn't what you said.

It's just such a pointless thing to lie about and currently no one has really given any justification as to why it's worth the stress of lying about it. Unless they're applying for a job with you of course.

I'd put it on par with someone telling you they're 32 when they're actually 34. Not exactly a serious lie but I'd be questioning why they bothered.

People bother because by exaggerating your salary by 2K, you start on 2K more at the new company than you otherwise would.

What is idiotic is assuming that people don't constantly and routinely lie about things like this. Anyone who tells you they never lie is lying.

People who don't have the resourcefulness to bump their current salary up a little in negotiations are likely not be very resourceful at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure