Sky to hike TV and broadband prices from April - MSE News

Options
Sky is to increase the price of some of its TV and broadband deals from 1 April - here's what we know so far...
Read the full story:
'Sky to hike TV and broadband prices from April'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• snowycatgirl
    Options
    Stuck with them for another 8 months! Just ditched them for Phone and BB with the intention of leaving for TV when price increase happened. Now discovered can't do this as in minimum term and had not read terms and conditions.

What I find annoying is I was not aware I signed up for 18 months for TV, was under the impression it was for 12 months across phone, BB and TV and have no paperwork that says what I did sign up to or emails.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stuck with them for another 8 months! Just ditched them for Phone and BB with the intention of leaving for TV when price increase happened. Now discovered can't do this as in minimum term and had not read terms and conditions.

What I find annoying is I was not aware I signed up for 18 months for TV, was under the impression it was for 12 months across phone, BB and TV and have no paperwork that says what I did sign up to or emails.

It'll be in the email which they sent you, I've never known them to not send an email on any changes.
  • TigXC
    TigXC Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It'll be in the email which they sent you, I've never known them to not send an email on any changes.

So glad you've never known them to not send emails of their actions ... especially Price Increases?

I've been with Sky for the past 25 years [changing my deal each time the contract ended] and have to say I stopped receiving such notification around 6 years ago ........ when they cut back on their postal mail shoots. And I'm still waiting for notification (email or otherwise) on the last Price rise

And anyway, the reason behind these price increases is purely greed, as Sky are being charged more by their very own masters (Now TV) for the Sports contents most of use don't even use! (It's always bl##ding Sports!).

Also how can they justify a price increase for Multi Rooms? It's just basically box that sit's there doing nothing much and causes us a load of grief when it keeps dropping out and has to be manually reset ... by us? Money for Old Rope springs to mind on that one. :undecided
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TigXC wrote: »
    So glad you've never known them to not send emails of their actions ... especially Price Increases?

I've been with Sky for the past 25 years [changing my deal each time the contract ended] and have to say I stopped receiving such notification around 6 years ago ........ when they cut back on their postal mail shoots. And I'm still waiting for notification (email or otherwise) on the last Price rise

And anyway, the reason behind these price increases is purely greed, as Sky are being charged more by their very own masters (Now TV) for the Sports contents most of use don't even use! (It's always bl##ding Sports!).

Also how can they justify a price increase for Multi Rooms? It's just basically box that sit's there doing nothing much and causes us a load of grief when it keeps dropping out and has to be manually reset ... by us? Money for Old Rope springs to mind on that one. :undecided

Sky own NowTV, not the other way round. But your point still stands that a lot of theee rises, however justified, go towards the extortionate price they pay for sports which everyone else ends up paying for (we have it with Virgin who significantly bump red up their prices when they started giving the "free" BT sports.

I only agreed a new Fibre broadband deal on Friday for £17.50 and see it is going to be £19.50 from April :mad:.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TigXC wrote: »

Every single time I've changed something they've sent me email confirmation (over as long a time as yourself). They've not always been correct mind you :(

The only time they don't is when your discount is coming to an end which is the norm (not a good thing though).

Perhaps you need to update your details with them.
  • Alan3939
    Options
    I joined Sky TV and Broadband on 5 Feb after being told that the price was fixed for the whole of my 18 month contract. My advice is don’t believe the sales people in the shopping centres
  • pandamonia
    Options
    Mid contract price rises should be banned or limited to CPI

My price is going up 11%

I need to tell the mrs that she cant watch sky any more and cancel the lot and live off Freeview and Netflix & Prime

This is the only way these companies will learn how bad value their advert soaked services are.

Thank god for the rise of streaming and hopefully its fragmented nature will keep prices low and if that changes im going back to pirating TV shows.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alan3939 wrote: »
    My advice is don’t believe the sales people in the shopping centres

They often are just commision agents nothing to do with the actual provider.
  • snowycatgirl
    Options
    Alan3939 wrote: »
    I joined Sky TV and Broadband on 5 Feb after being told that the price was fixed for the whole of my 18 month contract. My advice is don’t believe the sales people in the shopping centres

Your price should not increase if it is less than 60 days since you signed up. However, expect a price increase in February 2020 and be warned you won't be able to cancel as it's written in the T&C's they can increase your price once in your minimum terms (12 or 18 months)

Remember you do have 31 days to cancel anyway from when you signed up, that is Sky's cooling off period.
  • snowycatgirl
    Options

They still send post, often 4 copies of one letter as was the case last year. Emails sent can be seen / retrieved in the message section of your Sky account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure