EE Call price rise

Options
Hello all I got an email from EE this AM .
"The price of landline calls that are outside of your allowance, which include:
• Call connection fees. These will rise from 21p to 23p
• Changes to other call rates including our non-inclusive international call rates"

The website goes on to say
"if you believe that you will be materially worse off, then you may be able to leave without paying an early termination charge."
I have Broadband and inclusive weekend calls, but I can count on one hand the amount of times this year we have had a chargeable call on a monthly bill.
My question is, can I leave my contract (6 months of 18 left) in EE's eyes, will I be materially worse off? I suppose technically I will be because if I made any chargeable call of any length then yes I would be worse off, or is this more to do with people who are paying a monthly fee for inclusive calls?

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had an email about this on Monday.

I pay for free calls and I didn’t have the exit statement but I need to check the website as you say
  • Michael74
    Options
    It seems I can't leave, my phone usage isn't enough to make a material difference to me... It seems EE can increase my charges mid contract and its tough cookies, well I wont be renewing next year....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So they've increased their prices but it doesn't actually affect you and you're annoyed?

Okay...
  • Michael74
    Options
    It does actually affect me, the price of any call I make goes up, no matter how much or little I pay. I just don't think that is fair, I entered into a contract with EE for a service for a certain price, EE can change the contract, I can't. Like I said, I won't be renewing.

Okay....
  • gener8or
    Options
    I received the email today, been waiting for an excuse to get out of the contract due to the speed.

So I called them and got a guy in Plymouth, he said you have never made a call on your landline so are not detrimentally affected, he then when to check with his TL who said the same.

So raised a complaint and they said will call back today. I couldn't believe it 1 hour later they called.

He firmly believed I couldn't cancel, I said you put my charges up, if I was to make a call I would pay more. It got to the point where I said OK send me a deadlock letter and the ombudsman can decide.

I said I'm trying to save you going through that. He then agreed to let me move provider without charge.

Told him not impressed with their tactics and I dont think the regulator will be. He maintained its a goodwill gesture and they dont have to do it. Result :money:
  • scams2udirect
    Options
    EE went through the whole scenario as outline by "gener8or" below, but rather than cancel they actioned the ombudsman letter instead of the goodwill gesture. EE keep saying 'materially impacted' and are all very sketchy and untrustful continually having to ask other departments and managers for advice while nobody can clearly state a figure or any knowledge of the situation. lets see what happens from here. Now i do not trust ee one single bit. Their customer services are as bad as their router.
  • Michael74
    Options
    In the end I decided it wasn't really fair so I put a complaint it, initially customer services said I was not in any way affected, I read the email out that said my call connection charges were increasing, so are you increasing how much I pay for a call I asked, he said "no that's not the way I see it" ????

I asked him again, reading this email it says my call charges are increasing, so are they? He put me on hold to ask someone ???? (how hard can this be?) finally he agreed they are but as I'm not affected a lot, its ok.... At this point I asked for a deadlock letter, he told me I can have one but the chances are the ombudsman will most likely not find in my favour ????? (a mind reader now as well?)

So I put my complaint into the ombudsman last week and today got a message from them saying that "The company has contacted us to query the acceptance of your complaint. We are currently reviewing this to check it is a complaint that we can help you with."

Later on I got a message "As you are aware, the company queried the acceptance of your complaint. We have now checked your complaint and found that it is one we can help you with. The case can now proceed as normal."

It should be interesting to see how this pans out.......
  • stulaunch
    Options
    Because I don't have a call package with my EE Broadband. Do you think I have any more of a chance to leave penalty free?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not on these grounds, no
  • Michael74
    Options
    Its seems EE are fighting my case tooth and nail with the Ombudsman, stating that because my past usage is so low any price rise now will have minimal impact on future calls... It seems EE can see into the future now and know how much I am going to use the phone in the coming months, I am impressed.... Saturdays Lottery numbers would be nice EE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure