EE and Virgin Media fined for overcharging customers - MSE News

Options
The communications watchdog has fined EE and Virgin Media a combined total of £13.3m for overcharging phone and broadband customers who wished to leave their contracts early...
Read the full story:
'EE and Virgin Media fined for overcharging customers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    Options
    "At no point when I signed up to my contract was I made aware of the liability of these hefty exit fees."
    What's the betting there's a clause about this in the Ts and Cs you read and agreed to when you signed up?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is that if that information is actually there they do not make it very easy to find, likely buried somewhere in multiple click through links. From experience with EE there are no e-mails or letters with that information on them. In contrast I have just renewed with Plusnet and the monthly terms and early termination costs are clearly spelled out in a one page e-mail. The fines are not for not showing the charges at all but "failing to make clear".
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    Options
    I guess the prices will have to go up again to cover the cost of the fine?

:mad:
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "The problem is that if that information is actually there they do not make it very easy to find, likely buried somewhere in multiple click through links."

Yes, most organisations do just that.

However, the relevant information about early termination is quite prominent at the bottom of VM's home page.
    Whether it's been there all the time or now added due to the "fine", who knows?
    The post from which I quoted has disappeared anyway. Just to add, I'm not a VM customer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Price increase on it's way soon to make up for it.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you cancel early, you should not pay more than you would have done had you stayed. But in many cases this has not been true, and now the companies having taken more money than they were due are now complaining!!!??

EE for example, £40/month contract with £15 off = £25/month.
    But if you cancelled early they charged people £40/month for the remaining months, not £25. Just wrong.
  • jd4044
    jd4044 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 November 2018 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Hi, I am a newbie,joined Forum as need help with Virgin Media Business Termination Charges, astronomical and won't budge, even though they couldn't service my new address.
    Thanks to anyone who could give me any advice or help with dealing with them as I am looking down the barrel of a £900 plus charge to end contracts & they are still supplying to an address I moved out of two months ago even though I have told them repeatedly before and after the move that we are no longer living there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jd4044 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a newbie,joined Forum as need help with Virgin Media Business Termination Charges, astronomical and won't budge, even though they couldn't service my new address.
    Thanks to anyone who could give me any advice or help with dealing with them as I am looking down the barrel of a £900 plus charge to end contracts & they are still supplying to an address I moved out of two months ago even though I have told them repeatedly before and after the move that we are no longer living there.

This is a consumer website, not a business oriented one. I doubt that anyone can directly help beyond possibly pointing you to a more appropriate site.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even the now-dropped Ofcom investigation into these termination charges was only investigating the effect on consumers. I suspect the cost of moving telecoms is one of the costs involved in moving business premises.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure