PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?

Options
joshieg3011
joshieg3011 Posts: 105 Forumite
edited 17 November 2009 at 8:32PM in Old style MoneySaving
Went for an overnight stay with two good friends recently to a 5- star hotel (it was on offer, I promise!) To save money, I suggested we have lunch in a cafe in town instead of at the hotel. My friends both ordered Ploughmans Lunch. There was honestly about a pound of cheese on each plate, only cut in half. They only managed to eat a tiny bit of cheese each. I suggested they wrap the cheese up in their napkins and put it in the mini-bar fridge in our room. The look of horror on their faces was enough to quieten me. Sadly the waitress came to take the plates away and I just knew the cheese was going in the bin!

Has anyone else ever felt embarassed by their MSE ways?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I totally agree with you on this one - I would have taken the cheese, too, without the slightest bit of embarrassment. :confused:

My particular habit at work is turning off people's computer monitors on my way out of the office (I'm not sure if that's MSE or green, tbh :)). One of my colleagues sheepishly admitted the other week that he had thought for months that his monitor was turning itself off - he hadn't realised I was doing it for him! :D
  • huston_kw
    Options
    People can take me as they find me... my sister not so mse use to have the horrors at going in charity shops, she would stand away from the shop so no one would know she was there. I have thankfully convince her they are cool so she's fine now, she even goes in by herself :j.
  • Twinkles08
    Options
    Most of the time,I'm quite proud of my money saving/old style attitude,but I have to admit my husbands bro and sis in law, do make me feel like a bit of a skinflint!But then they are v materialistic and appearance is extremely important to them-portraying the correct image is everything.Saying that I know for a fact that they had to sell their house and business to cover consumer debts that they had racked up (mostly on the credit cards!)So I remind myself that my attitude is much better and will hopefully (eventually) build a secure future for us ;)
    :female:Our 2 gorgeous little girls born 2006 and 2010
    First House Deposit - £90.00:j
    DFW Nerd Member 1143 ;)Orig debt app £12000.00 :eek:
    Total Joint Debt ( Mar 2012)£3208.25

• fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    Options
    Went for an overnight stay with two good friends recently to a 5- star hotel (it was on offer, I promise!) To save money, I suggested we have lunch in a cafe in town instead of at the hotel. My friends both ordered Ploughmans Lunch. There was honestly about a pound of cheese on each plate, only cut in half. They only managed to eat a tiny bit of cheese each. I suggested they wrap the cheese up in their napkins and put it in the mini-bar fridge in our room. The look of horror on their faces was enough to quieten me. Sadly the waitress came to take the plates away and I just knew the cheese was going in the bin!

Has anyone else ever felt embarassed by their MSE ways?

I'm more embarrassed by the ways that I have wasted money over the years - the crap that I bought but didn't need/use, clothes that I never wore, premium range food which cost and arm and a leg, £4 per day on starbucks, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that once (but only once, thank goodness) I even did a did my weekly grocery shop in Marks and Spencer - it's along story.
    Now I'm shameless.
  • joshieg3011
    Options
    huston_kw wrote: »
    People can take me as they find me... my sister not so mse use to have the horrors at going in charity shops, she would stand away from the shop so no one would know she was there. I have thankfully convince her they are cool so she's fine now, she even goes in by herself :j.

We went into the town and there were loads of charity shops - I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Said "Do you mind if we have a look in here?" Friend replies "Do we really have to?" I said "I'll re-phrase that - I'm going into the charity shop, you go where you want". Don't think she was too amused... ;)
  • joshieg3011
    Options
    fabforty wrote: »
    I'm more embarrassed by the ways that I have wasted money over the years - the crap that I bought but didn't need/use, clothes that I never wore, premium range food which cost and arm and a leg, £4 per day on starbucks, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that once (but only once, thank goodness) I even did a did my weekly grocery shop in Marks and Spencer - it's along story.
    Now I'm shameless.

Yes, I know what you mean, I am embarassed by that too. Like the real nappies I bought (for my second child) for about £250.00 and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of them. When I bought my first flat many moons ago, I couldn't work out why I had no money and was in debt. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that I went out after work every night and then would come home to eat one of my many Marks & Spencer's ready meals....:p
  • charlies-aunt
    Options
    I'm not embarassed about charity shop purchases, buying 'Basics' branded products etc as I make no pretence of being well heeled and I aren't ashamed of being less well off than some.

Having said that, I do wish that Sainsbuys et al would re-design the labelling of their 'basics' range though.
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• leed
    leed Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite often if we go out for a meal and I can't eat all the meat I put it in a paper napkin and bring it home for the dog - she always knows when I've got something in my bag. One time after doing this and getting home my son looked very bemused when the dog went crazy smelling my bag. He hadn't seen me put the left over meat away!
    If we are having pizza and can't finish it I ask for it to be put into a pizza box to take home - the waiter usually is quite happy to do this - I've paid for the food and I begrudge wasting it. Before now we have even taken a partly finished bottle of wine home - I know your not supposed to as the restaurant normally doesn't have an off-licence licence but well, again if we have paid for it why not take it home and drink it?
    :beer:
  • London_Town
    Options
    I'm at the age now when I don't really care anymore what people think of me (the wonders of approaching 40!). However, it sometimes frustrates me when people mistake MSE living with meaness. That's a completely different thing.

As to the original question, no I'm not embarressed and I would have taken the cheese if my friends didn't want it. It had been paid for and was only going to the bin. I always take my paper napkin from a meal out if it's still got some use left in it. I've sat opposite colleagues who barely use their napkin, then scrunch it up and put it on the dirty plate. Why??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2009 at 12:51AM
    Options
    DD's workplace sell bottled water for staff £1 for 1.5l :eek:. When she buys a new botttle, she gets it at the supermarket for around 35p for 2l.

They're on the phone all day so can keep water by their desk. She said the 'suits' frown, when the staff are seen refilling their water bottles at the cooler.

She's not embarassed though......!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport