Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe i am doing something wrong, but i cannot breathe slowly when running, i am constantly inhaling...
    I think it may just be a sign that i am VERY unfit :o

The problem is when you breath really fast you are not solving the problem. When you breathe fast you end up breathing shallow which doesn't clear the CO2 efficiently.
    The problem isn't so much that your lungs can't get enough oxygen but rather cant get rid of the CO2. Its counter to what people seem to want to do.

A couple of deep exhales will do wonders for you.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Me too and it can take an hour to start looking halfway normal again

OMG, Yes!! I am so like that! I get home, have a shower, have something to eat, browse online, do the housework...and I'm still beetroot red! :rotfl:
    indesisiv wrote: »
    The problem is when you breath really fast you are not solving the problem. When you breathe fast you end up breathing shallow which doesn't clear the CO2 efficiently.
    The problem isn't so much that your lungs can't get enough oxygen but rather cant get rid of the CO2. Its counter to what people seem to want to do.

A couple of deep exhales will do wonders for you.

Definitely going to try this, thanks! Would it have the same effect if i did them during the easier part (the walking for 2 mins)?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Definitely going to try this, thanks! Would it have the same effect if i did them during the easier part (the walking for 2 mins)?

Whilst it would help with recovery, if your problem is breathing whilst doing the running then this is where you need to do it ;)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 September 2016 at 3:51PM
    Options
    week 2 complete :T

I followed the podcast then carried on with a mix of running/walking until I covered 5K. I did it in 40minutes. I will attempt the same again in three weeks to see if there is an improvement.

breathing - I have tried what indesisiv suggests, I think Laura mentions it,. I don't know why but I find it difficult, I can't seem to concentrate on breathing and counting steps at the same time :o Instead every now and again, normally when I want to give up I concentrate on breathing slowly in through the nose and slowly out the mouth, this focuses my mind on something to stop me giving in when it gets tough.

It don't have a problem with my breathing its my legs that I struggle with I get to the stage I just can't lift them any longer. I always have to be [STRIKE]awkward [/STRIKE] different :rotfl: We need to swap tips, how do you keep your legs going?

well done wanttobese and anyone else running today. I am not looking forward to next week its a big jump again but last week the plan made it achievable so I will just have to trust it.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    40 mins for 5k seems pretty darn good to me. My ParkRun times for the 2 I have done so far were 37mins and 34:24 and there was no walking in that at all - it does show how slowly I run!!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    40 mins for 5k seems pretty darn good to me. My ParkRun times for the 2 I have done so far were 37mins and 34:24 and there was no walking in that at all - it does show how slowly I run!!

I would like to do a measured run, the distance was measured by my phone app which is just approximate and I am sure it works heavily in my favour. I don't run very quick but I can walk fast.

I am not ready for parkrun and its going to be difficult to arrange as I can't see me getting many volunteers to look after my son on a Saturday morning when I need to drop him off before 8. Of course in an emergency I would have lots of offers to help but just so I can take part in a run I don't like to ask, its a bit of a cheek.
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some Parkruns have lots of kids running too - if you think he might like it!

Well done everyone for your runs.

I find really blowing my breath out definitely helps. I have had quite a few lung problems in the past, and find it easy to breath fast and shallow, so I really concentrate on breathing into my belly and blowing it out - I sort of puff out my lips so I can really feel myself exhaling. It's always hard to start new habits, though!
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Elfbert wrote: »
    Some Parkruns have lots of kids running too - if you think he might like it!

He would like it but I have looked and unfortunately my local one does not allow under 11's, shame but I can understand why, people are there to run and not to worry about stray kids messing about.
  • i.love.baking
    Options
    Week 2 finished!! :j :T

Well done, fantastic acheivement!! :j
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I find that it is not so much that you can't get your breath but that you can't expel the CO2.
    Try putting in a couple of full exhales every now and again when you are struggling. This is where you breathe out as hard and fully as you can for a couple of breaths. Helps to clear the CO2 buildup when your breathing gets too fast and too shallow.

Also try and get into a rhythm with breathing. For instance I have a 4 step count where I breath in, in, out, out over the course of the 4 steps.

One more thing, try to do less chest breathing and more "belly" breathing. You can also google some diaphragm exercises possibly to help.

Great tips on breathing, thanks! I always assumed it was not getting enough oxygen, didn't know it was the other way round. Will be doing more long exhales during my runs from now on.
    Belly breathing is definitely the way to do it- when you breathe in your belly should go out and when you breathe out your belly should suck in and almost suck up. Practicing good breathing when not exercising might help make it more natural when you are running.
    week 2 complete :T

I followed the podcast then carried on with a mix of running/walking until I covered 5K. I did it in 40minutes. I will attempt the same again in three weeks to see if there is an improvement.

well done wanttobese and anyone else running today. I am not looking forward to next week its a big jump again but last week the plan made it achievable so I will just have to trust it.

Well done! that's really great that you managed to keep going at the end too! honestly and truely I think the jump seems worse, once you've done it it's not as bad as you think it will be. Plus you get plenty of recovery time, I think it's 3 minutes walk after the 3 minute runs.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks i.love.baking :)

Who is running today?

No run day for me today, so all this talk of swimming has me off to the swimming pool! Not my local one, as it's awful, but a fun one about an hours drive. I am going with some friends, their children and my youngest son.
    So doubt I'll get much actual exercise, but it'll still be fun!

Have a great day everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport