Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Options

Comments

• Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    It has changed and is now difficult to access. You need to log in to your personal tax account online and then follow the link below. Towards the foot of this page is a link to the details.

It is mad but it does work.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

That link worked! Many thanks :-)
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It has changed and is now difficult to access. You need to log in to your personal tax account online and then follow the link below. Towards the foot of this page is a link to the details.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

Thanks from me too.

I would never have found this!
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 768 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see the interest amounts when i log into Gov Gateway.......
    I dont have a tax code as such as im self employed and not PAYE.
    When i click the PAYE box and then 'current tax year' I just get a figure for 'Non Coded Income'?
  • d63
    d63 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aidanmc wrote: »
    I can't see the interest amounts when i log into Gov Gateway.......
    I dont have a tax code as such as im self employed and not PAYE.
    When i click the PAYE box and then 'current tax year' I just get a figure for 'Non Coded Income'?

me too! and i do have a PAYE code (on account of my pension.)
    i have a sneaking suspicion however it is perhaps just as well i cannot see the interest amounts since several people here have reported that the figures do not always match up too well with the actual amounts, and then one would be faced with the dilemma of what to do if there were a discrepancy -- inform HMRC, or not?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    I've never been able to see interest details on my account. The link above gives an error.

When I contacted HMRC online support, they told me to contact the income tax helpline. Contacted them, they confirmed my account is set up correctly and told me to go back to online support. Online support then told me my account is not set up correctly and go back to income tax helpline. Crazy.

I also did a subject access request recently (for some other reason). They was absolutely nothing about bank or building society interest, except the amounts I had declared on self assessment. I do wonder whether HMRC don't actually have the full interest details for the entire population, and instead just check against a sample?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options
    d63 wrote: »
    me too! and i do have a PAYE code (on account of my pension.)
    i have a sneaking suspicion however it is perhaps just as well i cannot see the interest amounts since several people here have reported that the figures do not always match up too well with the actual amounts, and then one would be faced with the dilemma of what to do if there were a discrepancy -- inform HMRC, or not?

Similar here - no details at all, other than the absurd suggestion that they owe me a substantial amount of tax back on my savings income, (Think about that, income that is now paid gross. How could there be anything owed back to me !)

As for your final question - ignore the PTA and inform HMRC by completing a Self Assessment. Far less time-consuming than trying to make broken HMRC PTA software work. You also retain some control over whether they plunder you via any PAYE code you have.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 768 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I also did a subject access request recently (for some other reason). They was absolutely nothing about bank or building society interest, except the amounts I had declared on self assessment. I do wonder whether HMRC don't actually have the full interest details for the entire population, and instead just check against a sample?

What is a subject access request?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As you say :)

The most fruitful session I've spent on it so far. It's left me with some queries.

The figures are claimed to be, and substantially are, the actual for 2017/18. As the figures are also for 2019/20 coding purposes if I remove or amend one or more - in order to get 2017-18 correct - will my action amend the 2017-18 taxed figure? Or just make them change the 2019/20 guess - which of course could bear little comparison to 2017/18, though it has to make do for now.

I see that the interim interest (11/3 and 31/10 for Virgin, and also for Nottingham BS) has been listed even though the accounts hadn't matured as at 6/4/18. So I'm back to the question that I know has been asked before - in what tax year exactly is credited interest for an ongoing open account taxable?

Though in a way it's as broad as it's long if you are over £1000 in both years.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    Aidanmc wrote: »
    What is a subject access request?
    It's when you request all the data someone holds on you: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    in what tax year exactly is credited interest for an ongoing open account taxable?

ITTOIA05/S370 provides that tax is charged on the full amount of interest arising in the tax year

Interest ‘arises’ when it is received or made available to the recipient. Interest has been made available if it is credited to an account on which the account holder is free to draw.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim2440

EDIT: RG2015, do you think I should email a link to this to NS&I?...:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure